“Paradise in cuba”

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Holguin
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Before booking our stay at the Paradisus we had checked in on tripadvisor to see what others had thought of this hotel. The majority of reviews where all excellent so we were not disappointed at all. If anything it beat our expectations. We stayed at the Royal Service which is heaven. In our experiance in most hotels when you arrive you have to queue at reception, maybe get a welcome drink, but always have to queue. At the paradisus you are welcomed with a very welcome cold face cloth and champagne and sat down in a compy chair while they do all the work, infact you hardly notice having to register at the hotel. After a long day of travelling this is most welcome. The staff at the hotel are all fantastic. I would start to list them but I know i would leave someone out and that would not be fair as every member of staff we encountered always went out of their way for us. They are all a credit to the hotel and without them the hotel would not be as good as it is, saying that the hotel itself is fantastic. The rooms at the royal service are lovely. The food was great. I don't think we have ever come away from a holiday without something that we could say "that wasn't quite right" but we did come away from the paradisus without being able to say that. Everything about the hotel and the staff was perfect. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. We are already planning our next stay at this hotel ( Cuba's little piece of Paradise )

Room Tip: If you plan to stay at the Royal Service, upgrade with the Hotel itself rather than through you trav...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank loops2401
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments and for sharing them with us on tripadvisor.

I am glad to read that you did enjoy your stay at Paradisus Río de Oro and that you were not disappointed.

It is a great pleasure that we read that you would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and that you are already planning your next stay at this hotel.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is a lovely hotel for a relaxing holiday. Good beach lovely setting, but the staff and service are what makes it really special. The musicians that played through out the complex were excellent. Cuba is a beautiful country and would not hesitate to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank SunworshipWales

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments.

I definitely agree with you that Cuba is a beautiful country and that it is our staff what makes our resort a special place.

Warm regards from Paradisus Río de Oro and we hope to see you coming back to our resort sometime soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We got engaged here 3 years ago & it was so good we decided to return for our honeymoon. If you want a hassle free relaxing luxury holiday then this is perfect. This time we tried out the Spa which was great. The facilities we used included Scuba (which is all inclusive!), the excellent gym, & the tennis courts. I would also recommend trying dinner at the Royal Service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank PeterL67

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

I am glad to read that we have manage to become part of your nicest memories and we feel honor that you have choose our resort for get engage and celebrate your honeymoon.

Warm regards from Paradisus Río de Oro,

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The service at the Paradisus is superb. On arrival we were treated to cool scented face towels, champagne and canapés, as part of our private honeymoon check in. We also received a turn down service with little chocolates and later check out as honeymoon extras. These were a nice touch. There was also a special dinner down at the beach for honeymooners and returning guests. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and the live Cuban band was lovely.

The resort itself is beautiful, and very well tended to. We really enjoyed using the jacuzzi that overlooks the ocean. Towards the end of our stay, we popped down there with a bottle of champagne from our room (replenished daily if you want it).

For Cuba, the food was really very good with plenty of choice. We dined on grilled lobster most nights, as it seemed like such a special treat to us! Everything was cooked very well indeed, the only exception being some lobster stew we had one night. That was a little over done. We enjoyed all of the restaurants, and booked in twice to each during our 2 week stay. I'd definitely recommend booking a show table at the Japanese restaurant. The main buffet was very good, with plenty to choose from. I loved the salad bar, pasta bar and grilled fish/seafood bar. The house white wine in the restaurants was good I thought, although I didn't particularly enjoy the wine served in the buffet.

Room service is all inclusive and we ordered it for breakfast on the day we visited Santiago de Cuba as we were leaving before the buffet opened. It arrived promptly, with everything we’d asked for. The service really is excellent.

We booked a spa overnight deal, which included a massage each, a day at the spa and then 24 hours in the Royal Service area. The spa is stunning! One of the best I have ever been to and worth a visit. The Royal Service area and bungalows are wonderful, as was the food in the RS restaurant. The best in the resort we felt. The private beach is beautiful too. We were the only people on the smaller part of the beach for the whole morning when we visited. It was live having our own private beach! Wilmer at the pool bar was fantastic. Offering drinks and snacks around the pool. No sooner had I finished my pina colada (which are amazing up in the RS!), I was quickly asked if I wanted another. The barman down at the small private beach, Tony (I think?) was equally as attentive and very friendly. We would have loved to have stayed in the RS for longer, although not for the whole holiday as the atmosphere is lacking due to it being so quiet. Many of the RS guests ventured down to the main resort in the evenings (and sometimes during the day) for this reason.

Santiago de Cuba is well worth a visit. We did a tour in old classic American cars, which was a lovely way to see the city. It is, however, one of the hottest places in Cuba, as there is no breeze! We felt Havana was too far to travel, but we wanted to see some of the real Cuba. From a historical point of view, it was nice to be able to see all of the landmark places of the start of the Cuban revolution.

We also took a trip by taxi into nearby Guardalavaca. Unless you want to enjoy time on the beach, you probably won't need more than 2 hours at the very most to see all of the market, which is a good place to shop for souvenirs. We found that around an hour was plenty for us.

During our stay, we did leave tips when dining in the evening, and occasionally tipped the bar staff. We also left a tip at the end of each week for the maid. We didn't feel as if it was expected, and received very good service regardless. We didn't leave all of our left over items in the room, but gave bits and pieces to the gardeners and security guards before leaving; those that hardly ever see any tips or items left by guests. In fact, we wish we’d brought items with us that are difficult to get hold of for the local people.

Special thanks go to Urli, the only good thing of the entire holiday related to Thomas Cook. He is the best rep we have ever encountered on a holiday of this type. Thanks also to Tamara for lending us a brush and a comb, as we forgot both and it’s impossible to find those items for sale in Cuba! I hope you got them back safely, as we left them for you on your chair. On behalf of my husband, thank you to Felix, who was a great help in the gym and extremely knowledgeable.

We had an absolutely amazing honeymoon and hope to return to the Paradisus again at some point.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Emma-Kate2007

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

We are glad to read that we have managed to offer you a nice holidays and a an absolutely amazing honeymoon and we all hope to host you again some time soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

where do I start. First of all this is very late, we stayed here september 12th 2011 for two weeks. I have meaning to do a review for ages but coming back from a holiday in egypt has pushed me to do this. Im going to go into detail as much as I can for the important bits.

We were greeted on arrival, with cold water and a cold towel to cool down. we had originally been booked into a garden view but were upgraded to the slightly bigger rooms with a sea view as it was for honeymoon. what a room. huge bedroom area with a sitting area, a nice size balcony with an amazing sea view and a huge bathroom with two sinks, a huge jacuzzi bath and an outdoor shower which felt weird but actually really nice. A walk in wardrobe and we had fruit and champagne waiting for us too, a lovely treat.

we then took a tour of the hotel. there were buggies to take us to and from our room in needed which was nice. We could also use these to go to the other part of the hotel where the other restaurants were.

We also had a butler to use for the whole holiday. rual and i cant remember the other butlers name were always helpful and checking we were ok. They booked us our restaurants, changed our pillows as they had different pillows, run us a romantic bath and much more. It was a lovely treat for our honeymoon.

Food and restaurants:
best food i have ever had. each night we tried a different restaurant and the following week we went to our favourite ones.
there were choices of two international, 1 Mediterranean, 1 cuban, 1 japanese and 1 cuban. theres was also the buffet which was not your normal buffet, endless choices of different food with also a chef cooking meat, chicken or fish to your liking. our favourites were the international in the other part of the hotel, mediterranean and japanese as they did they shows with the food which was alot of fun. Breakfast we always had at the royal service, we could order what we liked, any type of eggs and then they had buffet of breads, cheese, pastry and loads more. every meal was different and always yummy. we probably gained a stone each in 2 weeks.

Service was amazing, we had no complaints at all. even by the pool we didn't lift a finger. we could get sunloungers or the big beds with a canopy as the royal service part of the hotel was very quiet. it was bliss. even in the pool, if Wilmer (hopefully i remembered his name right) saw our drink had finished he would gesture if we wanted another or just come over with another drink, his strawberry daiquiris were to die for. i never drink in the day but they were so amazing! He always had a smile on his face no matter what. top guy. by the pool all day he would come by with these little nibbles of food, little brushetta to mini ice cream with wafers, right to the pool where you were. we made a few friends and when we saw him coming, we would all get our hands out the pool, to dry and wait for him to come over, he wouldnt make us get out.

Also at the lobby bar, a lady whose name i didnt get, best service too. always happy, always really nice to us, asking if we were having a "good time" Nicest lady ever.

Our package included a massage each which was bliss. it was a couples massage in a hut overlooking the sea. My husbands first massage and he loved it.

I could go on and on about this holiday but ill never stop writing if I do. amazing service, amazing food that was all included no matter including room service which we took advantage of as it was still as good as the food in the restaurants, room was great with the best view you could ask for, best staff always happy to help you, not a complaint. We keep saying if we can afford to we will go back there for one of our anniversaries. fingers crossed we can. Cuba is a lovely country and Paradisus rio de oro is the hotel to go to! definitely 5*, or as my husband now says after staying at the sheraton in sharm el sheikh a 7* star in his eyes. We just hope when we go back, everything is the same.

It really was a honeymoon you can never forget.

Room Tip: room 9111 amazing sea view!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
13  Thank aysen s

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments.

As I always mention, honeymooners are very important for us and we take pride in making this special occasion in couples live a memorable one. Therefore reading such nice comments from honeymooners makes us feel especially good.

We are already waiting to celebrate together your anniversary at Paradisus Río de Oro and I promise you that everything will be as good as your first time if not better.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just got back from paradisus and I have to say its been possibly the bet holiday ever and I can't wait to go back!
The staff were amazing right from when we arrived and received our champagne and towel, to the cuban band playing as we left. Especially staff such as Yudith, mayelin, Yohannys, Yeulet (Juliet), Elizabeth and Sonia made our stay so pleasant and enjoyable.
The buffet was really good and the strawberry daquiries at the lobby bar were some of the best iv had :)
Overall the hotel, staff and Thomson flights were brilliant and I would recommend this hotel and holiday to anyone! Enjoy

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Leanneedmondson
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

I especially like when I read so many names from our staff on our guests reports. That means we are going in the right direction.

I am glad also to read that this was probably one of your best holidays ever.

Hopefully see you returning to our hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Returning from a week in royal service for my second time, I received the same incredible service I ever had in Cuba. One night I asked Norma where I could eat a lobster? She asked me, at what time I'd like to have it (when), where I'd like to have it (in my room or in the RS restaurant) and how I'd like it (boiled, fried or termidor). Royal service is exactly that...where, when and how.

Everything was always as easy. The staff are part of your vacation. They can be at your service all the time, or they can live you alone if you prefered. Everything looks simple. My air conditioning broke down one day. 15 minutes later, someone was working on it. During that time, another room was prepared just in case.

Even with about 20 couples in the RS, you seems to be alone. And the staff are not smilling just when you can see them. They seems to enjoy every minutes of their day. Even the gardeners are friendly.

I was very satisfied with my first stop in PRDO in 2010, but now that everything is so fluent, they are incredible. Don't asked yourself if they can....the answer will always be YES. Thanks to all the staff for that memorable week.

And by the way, I did about 10 dives during that week. All inclusive for sure. A bus bring you to Playa Pesquero (20 minutes). Dive equipments, air quality and dive master are ok. You must have a little experience 'cause your are pratiqualy by yourself during the preparation. Underwater, they are watching the group pretty closely. The security procedures are followed rigourously.

The tenor

Room Tip: 8524 and 9111 have ocean view on the second floor. Very usefull to dry your diving equipment.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank GiacomoJG

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

I definitely like the title of your report and I believe service is very much about it.

Norma is definitely one of our star at the hotel and she deserves a big complement as she is a very hard worker, and always visible to give our guest the best service possible.

I hope we will have the honor to host you again for a 3rd time.

Eduardo Perera Castro

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
#1 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!