“Amazing wedding venue for our family group!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Holguin
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Myself and my partner have just returned from a wonderfull two weeks spent at this friendly and idealic hotel. We travelled out as a group of ten people, On arrival we were blown away by the open plan foyer with its lovely ponds and sculptures and comfortable seating. The sun and backdrop of the landscaping is very nice.

We were immediately greeted on arrival by the reception desk by a pleasent lady who provided us with drinks and seats whilst we were checked in. We were then whisked away to our room which the hotel had upgraded for us to a garden villa which we had not expected. The villa had and outside coutyard shower and lovely view over the rolling countryside with hammocks and sun loungers on a patio. The room was very clean and had the usual ammenties you expect such as AC, Digital safe, sat Tv etc, but also had a small mini bar in the fridge which was topped up daily.

The hotel facilities were very good with a very nice pool and sun-bathing area with lots of shady places if you wished to stay out the sun or lots of beds in the open if you wanted to top up your tan. The swim up pool bar was very good and provided lots of drinks and the staff were very pleasent and helpfull. The sandy beach is adjacent to the pool and is a must see with lots of room below on the beach and in cliff top huts with comfortable seating.

We were married on the 5th Day at the hotel and this was a day I will never forget as it was impecably carried out and arranged by the wedding planner at the hotel. We had the ceremony on the cliff in a romantic location comprising a Pagoda and lovely garden grounds, the whole area was decorated out with our flowers of choice. We were picked up in a horse drawn carriage and taken to the ceromony, My wife looked gorgeous as she been to the spa to have her hair and makeup done. The ceromony was short and sweet and we had the wedding planner translating the spainish ceromony to us. All in all it was all we could have asked for.

After we a very good meal and wedding cake in El patio the Al a carte restaurant at the hotel which was extremely good and enjoyed by the majority of our party.

Overall with the wedding and whole holiday I cannot thank the staff more for the high standard of service they provided. We were made to feel very welcome and i would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone wishing a superb break in the Caribean. It is very good value for money and my wife and I will be returning to this hotel again in the next couple of years as a Aniversary present to ourselfs.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and for giving us the opportunity to organize your wedding and from now on be part of your memories.

I will pass your comments to Odalys, the wedding planner, and all of our staff.

We take every wedding with the seriousness that is required as we are aware of the importance of this day on anyone life.

I am glad to read that we might have you back sometime in the future for your anniversary and I hope that we will be able to bring back to you only nice memories.

Wishing you happiness forever.

Kind regards,

Eduardo Perera Castro

Write a ReviewReviews (5,450)

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Having been to Paradisus many times this is our home away from home.
We cannot say enough about the wonderful staff here and we have made many friends over the years.
There are reports of the hotel being dated but they are making some progress with updating the rooms. Yes the pool does need attention but that really does not bother us. Remember Cuba has limited resources.
We do however have comments this time for the hotel management, there were two important things missing, one being the shade over the beach patio and the the other the absence of Roberto from the beach bar and restaurant. We hope both will be soon restored to their rightful places.
The hotel is our special Paradise and we will continue to visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cricket54

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and for your loyalty to our hotel.

Regarding your comments I promise you that the shade at the Ranchón Playa will be restore for your next visit.

Regarding Roberto, and as I already commented, he is an outstanding member of our team.

Thank you very much again for choosing us and I hope I will have the pleasure in welcoming you personally on your next stay at our resort.

Eduardo Perera Castro

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I always read tripadvisor before I travel and that's why I feel it's important to leave a review.

This hotel was recommended by a friend who got married at this hotel and works for Thomas Cook. Cuba is a beach lovers paradise and you will not beat the beautiful scenery and the very welcoming and smiley staff who make Cuba that extra special place. This hotel is in a great location if you want to lay on the beach and relax and just look at the amazing views. Adults only is a plus.

The spa is a MUST and topped our holiday! The service at the spa was excellent and made your hoilday that extra bit special. They have a private beach which is beautiful and secluded. The sailing guys are excellent and are fantastic at their jobs. I went out several times and they always made an effort and made my trip enjoyable. This is also included in the price of the holiday.

Overall we had a lovely stay and would recommend this hotel. However there are a couple of little niggles which could make this hotel even better.... The meet and greet was not very welcoming and very slow. It's not what you need after a 9 hour flight and 1 hour transfer. The rooms need updated decor however I believe that they are in the process of doing this and to be honest we were happy as it is Cuba and the maids do an excellent job. The mini bar is poor and the hotel lacked in snacky type food in between meals eg nuts, ice cream, crisps. You can not get a small bottle of water which we found frustrating in the heat.

I had to speak with customer service for a small concern, however if I'm honest they are useless and not interested and this was the same for the reception staff which lets the hotel down as all the other staff are excellent.

Even though it may sound like we are complaining these are just areas we feel they need to improve in to make it that extra wow. We did not let it spoil our holiday as we had an amazing time.

I have also travelled to Mexico and please remember even though this is a 5* hotel it's to the best I believe that Cuba can provide and that's very important to remember!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
paradisusri0de0r0, Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2016

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Like many other couples we met in the Royal Service area we were on our honeymoon. Unfortunately the first impressioin was not a good one- we had specified on booking 'a honeymoon' but we were put in a twin room with two singles made up separately and then pushed together... Hardly the romantic start we were going for. But a call to the desk and we were moved to a king size the following day. The out door shower was very enjoyable (drainage problem in the first room but the second was better- foot bath whilst showering= pet hate). The room service menu was a bit boring but we can only blame ourselves for taking advantage of the premium spirits and being too incapacitated to head to out to the restaurants. The restaurants we did visit were nice enough but the Japanese was the only one to write home about- be sure to get a seat at one of the show tables- hilarious and also delicious! We attempted to take advantage of some of the activities on offer but after the wedding we were mostly just keen to lounge around the poolside and be taken care of by our lovely bar tender. There was heavy rain the last three afternoons of our stay which was lovely believe it or not especially the first time it happened when I got to hole up in one of the poolside cabana's with a drink, a plate of freshly made crisps and a good book where I spent a good few hours enjoying the show. We did make it on the Holguin combo tour of which the highlight was most definitely the purchasing of cut price cigars on the down low at the factory- everyone had to hide them in their pants! If you are thinking of going to Cuba- do but be prepared to be humbled when your guided tour is done by a history professor and your drinks are served to you by a doctor! Communism in Cuba we were told means that the professionals have salary's capped at a maximum of 600 Cuban peso's which are different to the convertible pesos tourists are supplied with- 1 convertible peso is worth 25 Cuban peso's so many professionals move into the tourism sector where they are paid their salary but can also receive tips- we tipped generously after we worked out a 10 convertible peso tip is worth half a doctors monthly salary. Had I thought it through a little more I probably would have gone supplied with things to give the many shirtless/ shoeless children we saw on our day trip. It was a fantastic trip even though we mostly just lazed around the pool and felt a bit guilty for our temporary self indulgence and indolence.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify at check in that a king bed is required would be my advice :)
3  Thank wingedkiwi

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Hawimmingving stayed at many 4* and 5* hotels throughout the World I have been left disappointed by my and my partners visit to the Paradisus Rio del Oro.
The hotel is dated and in bad need of modernisation, especially the bathrooms and the sanitation standards. For a hotel rated at 4*/5* by many people I felt assured that my daughter's wedding would be something magical and spectacular. The ceremony and the helpfullness of staff cannot be questioned and her wedding day was magical with, attentive staff and an excellent wedding breakfast.
The facilities including the swimming pool are in bad need of updating and general maintenance. For the first few days it was not evident from the pool staff that Ph testing was being carried out and crabs of varying sizes were found daily in the main and secondary swimming pools. Other guests also commented on the cleanliness of the swimming pools.
The quality of food served in the main buffet and the other restaurants varied in quality and was dependant upon the chef and staff cooking and presenting the meals. Meat quality varied throughout the stay.
The quality of the rooms were poor and the bathroom and sanitation standards were very poor. Because of an infestation of insects in our original room we complained and we were moved to a slightly more modern and updated room.
I cannot speak highly enough about the helpfullness of the staff and the friendliness of the Cuban people.
Would I stay at the PRDO again I would have to say a categoric NO.
In a number of reviews guests have stated that drink brands were internationally renowned brands, this is not the case in our experience with local brands being offered by bar staff.
This review has been based on a 14 night stay in May 2012 and is wholly based on my partners and my experience of the PRDO.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Tgaztec

Reviewed May 22, 2012

My partner and I went here for 2 weeks in May 12 and can honestly say we had an amazing time.

When we first arrived it was muggy and raining but as soon as we got to the hotel it didn't seem to matter as we was greeted with a glass of champagne and cold towel. We then was taken to our room in a golf buggy and bags were unloaded for us! Our room was fantastic it was clean and very spacious!

We looked round the hotels grounds the next day and was so pleased we had picked this hotel to stay at. The beach is beautiful and the snorkelling is fantastic! The pool area was always clean and the pool staff are fantastic..... All the staff are fantastic. The only thing is the pool could do with a bit of a make over but it's not really an issue!

All the restaurants are fab my personal favourite is the Japanese. Unfortunatly the first time we went there we didn't know about the show table and we sat on a table for 2 and felt a little uncomfortable but the waitress and chef soon made us feel included and got us chopping up the food which was great! Our second visit we made sure we got the show table. The buffet was great with lots of choice!

We visited the spa one day during and we both thouroughly enjoyed it, we would have definatly gone again but we decided to do some trips! We visited Guardalavaca beach which is also beautiful and very quite! We done the Dolphins combo trip which we loved, the jeep sefari which we also loved and a trip to Holguin which we visited the cigar factory! it was brilliant!!

We loved every minute of it and hope to return again next year!!

1  Thank Emski3588

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Just returned from two weeks at Paradisus and cried when I had to leave.
Ok, being honest its not 5 star, but having been to Varedero and Mexico each time in 5 star, I can say its the best hotel we have ever stayed in.
5 star rating goes to the staff (Hi George on pool bar, all the girls in the pool ranch, our maid and especially Angel the First Choice rep).
5 star goes to the food,both buffet and the a la cartes (loved El Patio and Mediterranean, Creole ok, didnt like Japanese) and the beach ranch and pool snack bar (pizzas to die for - had one every day for 14 days).
5 star to the gardens, grounds and wildlife.
5 star to the weather.
4 star to the room. Large, airy, spotless, needs a bit of smartening up of paint and tiles etc.
3 star cocktails. If hotel 5 star then cocktails should be.
3 star beach. Ok I have been spoiled by Varadero beach (best in world so far for me) but too many sunbeds in two small a space and rocks which are not evident on any blurb about the hotel or beach.
2 star to pool. Get it sorted guys. Needs a complete makeover.
We didnt upgrade to Royal Service because we couldn't imagine the extra expense would be worth it, but having had a look around it does, so we plan to come back next year and upgrade.
In short, on other holidays 2 weeks has always been enough. Not here. Could have stayed forever !!
See you next year Paradisus.

Room Tip: corner rooms are larger. we stayed in block 19 which was great spot for access to restaurants, spa...
1  Thank Angie_and_co

Old review, thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba
#2 of 64 in Varadero
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
#2 of 3 in Guardalavaca

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!