“Top notch hotel”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Moncton
“Top notch hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed at the Paradisus April 19th, 2011 and asbolutely loved it. It is an adult 18+ hotel and we liked the peace and quiet. We are world travellers and have to admit that this hotel is now our number one hotel. The staff is great, beach is fabulous. We always were able to find a beach chair with shade no matter the time of day. The customer service is excellent and staff very efficient. Grounds are well maintained. You feel pampered at this hotel, from our arrival, we were greeted with champagne and brought to our room right away. They even provide 24 hour free room service. We would definitely go back to this hotel and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Villas around the shore are very nice
8 Thank Traveler13Moncton
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Paradisus Rio de Oro I would like to thank you for your kind comments.

We really value the feedback of our clients and are very pleased that you enjoyed the beach, the well maintained grounds, our gardeners are just the best, and our hotel installations. I am very glad that you felt pampered, as this is what we want all of our guests to feel after spending their vacation with us. We look forward to having you back with us, so please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning your next getaway to Paradisus Rio de Oro.

Eduardo Perera Castro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Polish first
Peterborough, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

My wife and I traveled to the PDRO in april. This was a second time at the resort. We had gone the the resort in 2002 and had such a good time we need to return. I would highly recommed the royal service we stayed there and it was the best service i have had any where. I cant say anything that has not been said except should you want the best vacation, in cuba this is the place.

We chose to upgrade to the Garden Villa the last three nights of our stay. Please dont look for the Villas on your travel agents site as there are only 2 and they must be booked with the hotel. The villas are very very private....the only problem was now we have stayed in the villa we will have to stay in them again when we return next year !

The villa is a suite with two bulildings a private swiming pool , hot tub, sauna, jet tub, two bath rooms a lap top computer and so many other little touches to mention.......

I cant wait to return, thanks to Junior and Manuel you both made our trip........ as did the rest of the of the staff of the PDRO........one more thought about Manuel at the lobby bar it has been seven years since our original trip to PRDO, Mauuel not only remembered us but also our drink order.......thanks for the great service my friend cya soon

Mike

10 Thank Cigarluver
Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write such gracious comments about Paradisus Rio de Oro. Your comments are very valued not only to see how we are doing but also to improve what needs to be improved. I am extremely pleased that you decided to visit us for a 2nd time, and am very happy that you found the hotel to be just as good and had such a good time during your vacation. I am glad you enjoyed the Royal Service and had a treat at the Garden Villa, which is really a very special place at the hotel. We look forward to having you back with us, so please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning your next getaway to Paradisus Rio de Oro.

Bidford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

I have left this review way too late - but just needed to add one, this hotel is amazing and i would go back tomorrow. Its superb and great to have a holiday here.

We went for 2 weeks in October and via the hotel upgraded to Royal Service for our last 4 nights - this gave us a great 2 part holiday - the first part being in standard and the second part in Royal. If i went back i would stay the full 2 weeks in Royal - no doubt.

The food is amazing - favourite place for al a carte is the Japanese one.

Spa is fab - you get a free mini massage for being a RS guest - but we paid for a day there as well, I had a massage and it was 'intense' so be careful on your choice!!! hehe!

Beach is the best i have seen - but i am not a beach person - so loved the pool. RS has an infinity pool -all pools are clean and great.....

Entertainment is fab - we saw lots of diiferent things - live singing, water ballet - fabulous!

Rooms - massive - standard rooms are 2 levels and clean and kept tidy by the maids,,,,RS rooms are the next level up- massive bathrooms and outdoor showers and 2 sinks....will add photos!!!

Weather - can be stormy we went in hurricane season so expected this.....powercut one night was bad - but main hotel has back up gens so was fine!

Great little gym as well - i used this a couple of times, helpful staff in there too.

Love love love this hotel - just book it (and take me!!)

We made some fabulous friends and its a superb hotel.

Room Tip: book now!
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Elle S
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Paradisus Rio de Oro, I would like to personally thank you for your pleasant comments. We value all feedback and are pleased you enjoyed Royal Service, the food, especially at the Japanese Restaurant, the spa, the pools and all the offerings that we have at our hotel.

We’re thrilled you enjoyed the high-quality service offered by each member of our staff and that you were able to relax while staying with us.

Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

Having visited Cuba ten times and much of the rest of the Caribbean during the last 30 years, Paradisus remains our favourite destination. As others who have visited seven times remarked: "The food just gets better and the people just get friendlier".
The grounds are impeccably groomed, our room has always been clean, functional and comfortable, the pools are excellent and the food is outstanding (by far the best we have had anywhere in Cuba). Excellent wines and liquors are always available.

However, it is the friendly, helpful staff who make Paradisus special. Even after one visit they remember you and treat you like good friends. They appreciate tips, but do not expect them for every service as is the case in many resorts. They do their best to accommodate your every requirement. This year (after writing letters and making comments on evaluations for 3 years) we discovered that their TV selection now includes French CBC on channel 2 and Global on channel 3! Wonderful, especially when you're sick of CNN or Chinese TV. See my 2007-2010 reviews for more details on Paradisus.

5 Thank Redfox-7
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 28, 2011
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to apology to the late reply to your comment.

I would like to thank you also for your trust and loyalty to Paradisus Río de Oro. I am glad also that you have noticed some changes for the better at the hotel, like the TV channels.

As you also mentioned, I agree that it is the staff that makes this resort outshine above some others. Being the GM I have to say that I am very lucky to have the opportunity to work with this people for my second time.

I thank you for taking part of your valuable time in sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor.com and we are already waiting to see you back at the hotel anytime soon.

Havelock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

This was my husband and I first time to Cuba. We were called the day before we are to fly out and were told by Air Canada the resort we were booked at was full so we were being upgraded to the Paradisus Rio de Oro resort.
Well THANK YOU AIR CANADA!!!!
Now I have nothing to compare it to since this is my first all inclusive vacation but I think I am going to have a hard time ever topping this resort. It is a quiet resort mostly over 35 so if you are thinking of coming here to pick up, not the resort for you..lol..but I liked that it was quiet could be louder music at the pool but so glad there were not a bunch of loud falling over drunk people. If you can afford to come here because if we werent upgraded I couldnt afford here, than do not think twice about booking. Look at how many excellent reviews there are, over a 1000 compare to the 15 terrible and I honestly have no idea what they would have to complain about. The staff are all so friendly!! Yes we did tip but we tip here in canada also, in Cuba it is so much more appreciated!!! A few pesco go a long way. Also if you are not one to use your drinks in the mini fridge the gardeners appreciate a cold one, they work so hard in the heat, at keeping the grounds looking so nice so dont forget them.
The food is okay. I am a very picky eater, but I didnt go hungry. The BQ at the beach was my favourite. The pasta bar was something I ate everyday...not going to have pasta for a while now that I am home..lol..the pizza at pool restaurant was ok also.
We had just a standard room very nice and clean. My one and only compliant would be that our room did smell a little musty...but it is humid..so we would just open our patio door when we were in our room when we would go to change and it seemed to help. Really you are only in your room to sleep and change anyhow.
We ate a one restaurant the Mediterran and it was really good and so beautiful inside!
We went on the tour to Holguin and went in the cigar factory, went to the hill with the cross. I think everyone needs to go on this tour. We have nothing to complain about in Canada. You will go on a train ride into the countryside and get off on some backroad the tour bus is waiting for you be prepared for people wanting hand outs. We took a bag full of kids clothes, kids flip flops, travel shampoo etc., toothbrushes, toothpaste it was gone in 2.5 seconds! Felt so amazing giving that away, stuff we so take for granted wish I had taken more esp. for those people in the countryside.
We met a great couple we spent the week with. We had great weather always a breeze and sunny everyday. This is a vacation we will never forget.

11 Thank Beckster-12
paradisusri0de0r0, Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 13, 2016
Old review, thank you.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

We stayed at the Paradisus del Rio for one week after a tour of Western Cuba.
After reading so many great reviews on Tripadvisor this seemd to be THE place to spend a chill-out week at the end of a hard weeks touring.

All I can say is "believe the reviews"

We have had some fabulous resort holidays in the past (pre-tripadvisor days) but this one easily beats them all.
After a very early start from Havana (3am pick-up from the Nacional) and an "interesting" internal flight in an ancient Yak, we arrived at the resort just before 10am tired and hot. The check in and greeting staff immediately made us comfortable with offers of drinks and breakfast.
A quick chat with the resort rep (relaxed and not pushy) and then transfer by buggy to our room. We were on an upper floor of a block in the gardens, a short walk to the lobby/restaurants/pool/beach. Huge room and beds, everything clean and fresh, bathroom better than expected (everything undamaged and working, which was a first for this trip) Plenty of towels and a powerful hot shower.
Wonderful beach with plenty of beds...not so many shaded areas though...and they quickly get snapped up (see previous reviews) but there always seemed to be some room near the pool.
My wife loved the snorkling, I am not as confident, but still had fun in the warm shallow water. Beach bar and snackbar were great. Drinks service on the beach.

Our six night stay ended up being a holiday of three parts.
Initially disappointed that we could not get a booking in one of the a-la-carte restaurants for two days, we resigned ourselves to the buffet.
Mistake.
Now, after experiencing an "all inclusive" buffet the previous week, the contrast could not have been greater. The buffet here is tremendous...lots of choice and top quality.
Freshly cooked fish and meats, fruit, seafood, cheeses, superb desserts! We had a bottle of the house red each time (Spanish) and it was fine.
Breakfasts in the same area were also great....juices, fruit, cereals, freshly cooked eggs...."Bloody Mary's" for some! .......and on and on ......
The following two nights were spent in "Le Patio" and the "Mediterranean" restaurants. Very quiet but elegant dining in both, and food was again top quality.
Late entertainment was from 2145-2230 this was the busiest time at the bar, and table service became bogged down.....but after 2230 most upped and left, and the bar was quiet again. Irish or Tia Maria coffee's (sometimes together!) were very strong.
For our final two nights we upgraded to "Royal Service" which was a treat to top our already marvelous treat. Everything on the hill is notched up that much more....jacuzzi bath (specially prepared by your butler) outdoor shower and a-la-carte dining.
Drinks in the room (never touched!!) Champagne in the fridge.
Certainly worth trying for a night or two (25 min massage was also included)
The only slight disappoinment was the beach....not as "private" as it could be, and not as good for swimming or snorkling as the main beach, due to lots of thick reed beds.
However, everything else was just superb and if it was not so far away, would gladly go again. I can see why so many return again and again....lucky them!
The staff here are so friendly and well motivated (jobs here are very much sought after) and we were very happy tipping 1cuc several times a day. The management run a tight ship and should be proud of what CAN be achieved. I wish them all the best for their future.

A tip if you are travelling back to the UK via Havana...check and re-check the flight times before you book....we were picked up at the resort at 0600 for our flight from Holguin-Havana...and our flight from Havana to Gatwick was not until 1855 (and was 2 hours late too) so it means you have at least 8 hours in Havana airport....would be best to add another night in Havana instead....our total journey time home was nearly 28 hours.

Plus points ~ EVERYTHING ~ the friendly staff ~ the resort ~ the beach ~ the food
Minus points ~ NOTHING....Just Go!

9 Thank grumpy-tourist
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your nice and extend report.

It ha been a pleasure to host you at Paradisus Río de Oro and we honestly hope that we will have the opportunity to have you at our resort again anytime soon.

I just want to inform you that there are also direct flights from the UK to Holguin and that all the different tour operators sells excursion to La Habana with return on the same day and Havana overnight which include the show tropicana.

Many thanks again for taking part of your valuable time in sharing your experience with us.

Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

I went to the Paradisus with my husband for our honeymoon in April 2011.

We thought the hotel was excellent overall. The grounds are beautiful as are the beaches. All the staff are very friendly and tipping is not required or expected by any of them.

All inclusive really is all inclusive! The only things excluded were a few cognacs and expensive champagnes (ie don perignon). The food was fantastic, the buffet was brilliant and didn't run out of anything however late you turned up. We went to three of the restaurants, the Cuban, Japanese and Mediteranean. My favourite was the Cuban though the other two were lovely aswell. The Japanese is more Japanese style as opposed to Japanese food but still enjoyed by us and everyone we spoke to. We didn't go to the International restaurant as everyone we spoke to said the food was not good there, so we thought why waste a night in the Buffet?!

The rooms are probably more 3 star than 5 star. They are clean enough and big enough but just a bit tired and in need of updating, in particular the bathrooms. There were some people there who were really not happy with their rooms, but some of what they were saying sounded very picky to us.

The weather was glorious, in its early 30's but with a beautiful breeze coming from the ocean.

There were plenty of activities also included in the hotel. We went sailing on mini catamarans, we went on pedalos, even scuba diving, all at no extra cost (though it is rumoured they will introduce a surcharge on the scuba diving). Other inclusive activities included horse riding, canooing and snorkling, all included with the hotel.

We travelled with The Holiday Place, who I found helpful this end and their rep (Yordy) in Cuba was really lovely. We went to our welcome meeting and she informed us of everything we could do in the resort (see above) and how to go about getting it. We also got a romantic meal in the beach restaurant at sunset and some free treatments in the spa (not all holiday makers were entitled to this).

The evening entertainment was not good! But they do provide a beach party with a disco one night a week which was great fun.

We went swimming with dolphins, which was more interacting really but we thought it was brilliant. We also did the Cuba inside tour which we also enjoyed.

I've never stayed at an all inclusive resort before and was concerened I would be bored but with all the free activities available on your doorstep combined with a couple of excursions combined with some well deserved lounging and sitting in the pool bar we actually ran out of time to do all the things we wanted.

We flew Air Cubana which was an experience in itself! It was ok actually just no in flight entertainment at all and they were a bit stingy with the drinks. In doing this with The Holiday Place we saved around £700 which meant being able to stay in the Paradisus rather than a cheaper resort.

We would recommend this hotel to friends and not hesitate in going back ourselves, and we would use The Holiday Place again too. We discovered we paid a lot less travelling with them than other holiday makers who were travelling with Thomas Cook or First Choice, and they didn't have a lot positive to say about their flights either!

Room Tip: Room service food was not great!
6 Thank Yellowbird26
Old review, thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Buenavista
Melia Buenavista
#2 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,499 reviews

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!