“Exceeded already high expectations”

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Holguin
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Hi there

Due to the comments here we had huge expectations for this resort. Not only were they met, but they were exceeded. My girlfriend is an experience junky (wants to see everything in the world, never stay at the same place) - but even she wants to go back! I have been at a lot of resorts and have always been ready to come home. Not this time, we all left feeling sad and while on the bus waved goodbye to the resort like it was an old friend.

Okay - enough of the touchy feely stuff. Here are a few of the things that suprised me about the resort.

1) Its not centralized. I have been to resorts where all of the rooms are in one or two huge buildings, but this was laid out like a community with small two story buildings all through the grounds. It seemed like a small community.

2) The reef ... ahhh - the reef. I have been snorkling at other places, but this is the best one I have ever seen. Its about 40 feet (to the side - not 40 feet out) from the public beach, right under the chapel. We saw an amazing variety of sea life. We saw parrot fish (I think), Lionfish, flounder hiding in the sand, and even a small stingray. Dozens of species of fish flashing a rainbow of hues. They will swim about you curiously (probably hoping for some bananas). One couple even saw a small octopus (I was jealous). Even though the water is not deep you should be able to swim as the waves tend to push you about and the reef/rocks is quite big and sharp. Also there are sea urchins (and the stingray above) so always maintain situational awareness. If you have never snorkled before it would be a crime not to spend 20 minutes exploring this.

3) The public beach (and by public I mean it shares it with another resort), is beautiful and long. However WATCH OUT. There are some sharp rocks in the water, and some of them are as big as a car door. They are also nasty sharp as well (I gouged a pretty big chunk out of my toe that took two weeks to heal). The water is delightful, but wear water shoes. Last time I ignore my girlfiend's advice. I don't know what they could do about this since they would probably have to blast the rocks out, which wouldn't do the nearby reef any favours. I suggested a sign at least.

There were usually lots of chairs to be had. The colours of the water are so intense that they look CGI, but its all real.

4) We were told that there were some bugs so to bring spray. It stayed in the suitcase. We didn't encounter a mosquito or even a fly. I would love to know the resort's secret. Heck, even at night I suddenly noticed to my amazement that there weren't any bugs flying about the lights at night. Its not like there aren't any bugs at all - we saw a few lazy butterflies, but that was about it.

5) Ahhhh ... the Buffet. My favourite part. There are 1 or 2 reviews here that complained about the food. I guess filet mignon, lobster tails, custom pasta, custom salad and custom crepes will just have to do. Nor did I see the same dishes being served every day. One night we had a string quartet playing while we ate, and on Cuba Night (Tuesday nights I think) there was a Cuban band playing and lots of delicious looking food/art.

Some reviews mentioned that long pants weren't required at the buffet. That may or many not be true. On the first night we were in shorts and no one said anything, but then the next day I was mortified to discover that everyone else was wearing pants. So we quickly adapted. Pants are fine, I don't recall a single instance of the buffet being too hot.

The A-La carte restaurants were all wonderful. I don't know if there is a limit to how many you can attend - we didn't encounter any limit. The Japanese restaurant is as good as everyone says it is. We had no trouble getting reservations for any restaurant. The trick seems to be to get a reservation for 9 PM rather than earlier. If that is too late to wait for dinner you can always get something to tide you over at the buffet!

6) Yes - as a lot of reviews have pointed it out its tricky to secure a chair by the pool as you have annoying people dropping towels off and then going about their day. I suppose the resort could get more chairs, but I am not sure where they would put them. Luckily there was always room at the swim up bar. The pool was not heated so it takes a bit to get ducked in, but I never find heated pools to be refreshing. There are a couple of Jacuzzis - they aren't heated either. I never saw them in use, probably because it wasn't clear how exactly to turn the Jacuzzi on.

7) One interesting thing that I didn't notice right away. There are no wrist bands here. We went on an excursion and we were the only ones without wrist bands. They asked us how the resort knows that we are guests. All we could do is shrug our shoulders. As absurd as it sounds, I think the staff memorize the faces of the guests.

8) Service - wow - maybe its because I am Canadian, but I have never experienced service like this. I think there was one time I had to wait 5 minutes for a drink at the bar (and it was BUSY). All the other times I reached the bar and had my drink in hand in another minute. In fact with one bartender, I couldn't even tell you how many screwdrivers I had - since every time I was almost finished it was whisked away with a brand new one in its place. The wait staff were all very attentive. One example - I sat down for breakfast and a waiter asked if there was anything he could get me. I said no, so he went off to help other guests. My girlfriend later sat down and said "Good, now all I need is a Tea". Now waiters were zipping back and forth behind me. So I moved my head about 30 degrees to get eye contact with our waiter. He didn't even fully enter my line of vision before he saw my head move. He stopped where he was walking, did a 180 and zipped up to our table with a "What can I get for you sir?". Delightful. We tipped here and there, and tipped pretty decently at the restaurants. Not because it was expected, but because the service was such a delight. Other's didn't tip, but we never noticed a difference in the level of service. A few of the reviews from a few years ago complain that guests felt they were being hassled for tips, but that certainly wasn't our experience. There wasn't a single instance were we felt we were being solicited for a tip, and when we did tip - the staff was always gracious, even if it was a peso.

9) Bar - Hmmmm ... I think there is something like 5 bars with a great assortment of drinks. The beer is pretty good (WAY better than when I was in Cuba 15 years ago). My girlfriend loved the beer - she compared it to Corona. We brought our own mugs, something I learned at other resorts where they served drinks in tiny cups that were overiced. Here - our mugs stayed in the bags. The glasses were ample and even if it weren't big enough getting another drink is as easy as falling down.

10) The last day I noticed these snacks out at the bar. They looked like tiny Kiwis. Try one - they are heaven. They crunch like cheese poppers but there is this delicious spinach dip in them. I am glad I only discovered them the last day as I would have embarrassed myself shoveling the whole lot into my mouth.

11) Somethings that seem to have changed since I was Cuba 15 years ago. The soldiers with assault rifles are no longer in the airports. Also - curiously - when you land you have to go through Security (metal detectors etc) again. Also - the washroom facilities at the airport are probably a little rustic compared to what you might be used to. But the bus that brings you to the resort is modern and air-conditioned. Also - it was harder to find those older cars that Cuba is famous for. All the Taxis and rental cars seem to be brand spanking new.

12) This is NOT a party resort. Its more of a couples resort. There were a few couples in their 20s and early 30s, but most are older. And from what I could see, everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. Anyway the disco was pretty dead - which is a shame. On the other hand if you get a group together you can have the run of the place. They have a pretty decent Karaoke selection.

13) One thing that was a delight to find - that are a few champagne/wine stations with bottles chilling in ice buckets just waiting for you to help yourself if you like. There are even little sandwiches/pastries or fruit beside one such station, which was good when I overslept and missed the breakfast buffet. If I had known I would have just walked over to the pool restaurant which seems to be open all day.

14) There seemed to be a lot of musical entertainment, from Pianos to Cuban bands to String Quartets. There was this one artist who played an electric guitar. He was MARVELOUS. He had quite a group of people that gathered, entranced with his skill and begging him for more. For those that aren't into that - no worries. The volume was perfect. It didn't drown out any of the conversation at the lobby bar, but it was loud enough that its presence was felt.

15) There are quite a few pool tables (full sized ones, not the wussy sized ones you find at some bars), 5 or 6 I think. There was also a Foosball table and even a giant connect 4 game, beside a giant chess board.

16) That sun is intense! Lather up in sunscreen. But still the colours of the resort are bright and deep. They must repaint everything once a month under the sun's relentless assault to keep that level of richness.

17) We stayed at a Junior suite. With a name like that I was expecting a bed in a closet. Boy was I wrong. A beautiful bed with a canopy, a step down living room, and balcony. The AC was modern (a panel on a wall), as was the modern. Not sure I understand what a lot of the comments are saying when they say the bathrooms are "Tired"

18) Even though the resort was at peak season there were always comfortable couches, chairs or tables to be found. It never felt super crowded.

19) We met one couple that had been to Cuba 17 times, and had been to this resort 10 times. As they said - "Once we found this place, it was difficult to justify going anywhere else". I definitely understand what they are saying.

20) We went to a local market (very small). I have been other places where vendors were extremely aggressive, and I did not feel altogether safe. Not here- the vendors seemed almost shy, and I never got an unsafe vibe in my stay at Cuba (even 15 years ago I recall I felt completely safe).

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
paradisusri0de0r0, Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2016

Reviewed March 23, 2011

Well...............my job has been made much easier with the help of the last few reviews. Especially by Browny 123 (also known as Donna) whose review said more or less just everything I would have put.

So............I won't go over everything other than to say we loved it and are already doing our research for returning next year. AND..........I will add our own personal highlights.

Firstly-like Browny and her " tiny" hubby we met some great people-her and Simon, Jane and Michael, Dave and missus and countless more. Some good chats and laughs, and more than a cocktail or 3!!

So much has been said about the bathrooms-but you don't live in there, and quite honestly we've seen far worse in other 5* hotels. Our first room was 3728 which was lovely. But on strolling around the grounds we fell in love with the semi-detached bungalows on the lagoon side-so upgraded to 4531 for our second week. This was super.......the much talked about outside shower, a sun lounger apiece and a hammock. Wonderful, and so private. When too breezy on the beach or no sun beds available around the pool ( which was always as we never got one the entire 2 weeks thanks to the previously mentioned selfish folk who hogged them from 6-30 in the morning. Often not even actually using them for half the day) we were able to relax in comfort on our own patch of lawn.............BLISS!!!

The food was absolutely fantastic in every restaurant. Without a shadow of doubt the very best we have had in any hotel anywhere. We ate in all the Al-a-cartes and our favourite was the Cuban. The relaxed atmosphere and real sense of fun in there tipped the balance for us. Our least favourite was the Japanese and we didn't return for a second visit. Maybe we just caught the staff in there on a bad night. No-one's glass was refilled unless they actually asked for it to be, and immediately we'd finished eating we were "invited" to leave because our kimono clad lady was "tired and wanted to go to bed" We were so unimpressed and a bit surprised because as repeatedly stated in these reviews the staff in this hotel are exceptionally good. Another guest told us a few days later that they'd had a similar experience on a different night.............so maybe the young lady in question needs some more sleep on her time off (or some Red Bull to pep her up a bit) We also had rather a "no show" at our show table which was a very damp squid after being to Sappanora Teppanyakki in Manchester and seeing the performance they put on there. El Patio and the Mediterranean were also superb, and of course it was no hardship to eat in the buffet restaurant with the vast variety of perfectly prepared and presented food at every single meal. The standards never once dropped, and the staff are just amazing. Both beach and pool restaurants also top notch, and the thin crust pizzas at the pool are delish.

We found the weather to be perfect for us. A bit breezy at times, but we never felt drained and were comfortable to loll about or stroll for hours to our hearts content (not pleasant when humidity is high and temperatures heading to the 40 mark. Also the night time temperatures were great for getting a good night's sleep. The only time I put a little top on in the evening was in The Mediterranean which was a bit severe with the air-con a couple of times.

We went on 2 trips. Cuba Life and Cuba Inside. Enjoyed the first one hugely, but after the train ride and cigar factory on the second one we thought they'd run out of ideas on what to do with us. Next time we would like to combine a trip to Havana with the Parasisus.

All in all we absolutely loved every minute. Any niggle is minimal, and our advice if you're thinking of the PRDO for a holiday.............think no longer-just go for it. So many people can't be wrong. It's truly wonderful and we wish we were still there.

6  Thank kanddLeighGtrMcr

Reviewed March 22, 2011

We satyed at PRDO March 12-19. We are in our early 30's and found that the average age was about 40. However, we knew this prior to booking because we did research.

The resort exceeded our expectations. We had a fantastic time...sooooo much fun. My husband and I did a lot of research before booking and read a lot of these reviews going back to about 1 year.

All of the positive reviews are accurate. The people who complained about the lack of variety of food, or the lack of volleyball games being played, or the cracked sidewalks are petty. This is the nicest resort in Cuba and the people staying at this resort in general seem classy. For people wanting blarring music by the pool and want to be surrounded by loud obnoxious people...go to a 3 or 4 star. There is no party. So if the person you are with is borring, you will be bored.

The beach was beautiful and we were always able to get a good spot.
The food at the buffet and restaurants was fantastic. Coffee and drinks also excellent. The lobby bar is quite beautiful especially in the evening with the live entertainment (piano, guitarist, singers, etc). Service at the lobby bar was always quick no matter the time of day or night. Service in general was excellent including room service.

The rooms are clean, and spacious but a little tired...again, as expected.

We tipped everyone, however, even those who didn't tip received just as good service.

4  Thank Scrizzy

Reviewed March 22, 2011

I have just returned from my 17th visit to this amazing resort hotel and am already counting the days until I return again in April, 18, in actuality; yes.........I love it that much................of course I realise that twice in one month is slightly excessive but I have to feed my addiction, and as we were there for 3 weeks last March, this is just a short break.........
We have been every year since PRDO opened and have now made some of the best friends I have in my life......it's always a delight to see everyone and feel part of the community. Not to mention the fellow repeat guests who have also become lifelong friends and with whom we attempt to time our trips in order to meet up again.
We have a very stressful business but the second we arrive we actually physically feel the stress drain as we engage neutral and relax completely, knowing everyone will do their utmost to make our vacation perfect.
It is great to see Wendy back where she belongs and Eduardo back as the manager, they have a great team who are so friendly, enthusiastic and all too numerous to mention, but guys you all know who you are!!
I cannot highlight what I like the best as all the 6 restaurants are faultless, the food and drink selections are diverse and amazing; my favorite is probably the buffet, we love to sit and watch the obvious glee on the guests faces as they come past with their "trophy" selection of food...and then attempt to eat the volume they have selected......the Canadians always win on this score!!!
We have been lucky to have traveled globally on business and stayed at resorts such as Four Seasons, Sheraton, Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin, Oberoi etc...All amazingly appointed resorts but they do not have the essential element of the PRDO...the staff...this is the hotel's best natural resource and what makes it what it is, some have been there from the Hotels opening and actually helped in the construction and decor. Tamara, Ivan, Guilio are loyal and lovely people and I always look forward to our chats and gossips!
We have stayed in all areas, the basic rooms are large, spacious and well appointed, however the bathrooms could do with a cosmetic refurbishment….We particularly like the bungalows with the outside shower especially the ones with the grassy lawns facing the lagoon. The new Royal Service is exquisite and very select, the rooms are stunning and the bathrooms palatial, the butler service is both luxurious and discrete; so thank you Raul you are a star too!!! Norma, the manager works non-stop to cater to every guest's request and make the vacation faultless, she is amazing and has a superb staff too; The quiet luxury of the 3 level infinity pool area with waiter service and selection of canapés all day is a real touch of class and a great change from the hub-bub of the larger hotel pool and associated optional activities.
The SPA treatments are diverse and very professional; this area is quiet and very classy. The Gym next door is also well fitted out with helpful and knowledgeable staff like Rolando who also does the most amazing foot massage in the SPA.
The 3 private beaches are another of my not so private addiction, especially the one adjacent to the SPA, it is quiet, select and beautiful, you will never see sea this colour again; the reason it's called Esmeralda beach is evident, the selection of beach activities from catamarans to dinghies is my husband's addiction, he just loves to sail out yonder knowing he's not going to get troubled with the irritation of Jet skis and motor boats, the beach is a non-motorized water sports facility and long may it stay like that, diving is also available free of charge to hotel guests...... we walk the beach 3-4 times daily, the sand is perfect, the sea clear, clean and divine and there is generally plenty of space to sit. Roberto’s beach restaurant is friendly and fun and we particularly like the Pool Restaurant with Nersis, Katia and the team there
Evening entertainments are varied and optional, the show is always entertaining and the lobby bar generally a place to mix and mingle with fellow guests for as long as you like, it’s a 24 hour facility and some people take full advantage of this!!!
The Garden villas are a real touch of luxury, they are expensive but have their own private pool, dining/entertaining rooms with personal butler service and stunning view from the cliff top, they also have the most divine linen sheets I have ever slept in; we had a 2 days stay once and WOW, it was a real privilege………
My best friend is currently there, she got married there last year and I have recommended so many friends it's becoming a bit of a social club away from home!!!
From the second that you arrive at PRDO and are offered a glass of "champagne" to the animation team "singing" you away on your departure to a Caribbean calypso, the whole holiday is diverse, fun, relaxing and memorable.
My bag is already packed for my return in just over 2 weeks…….so if i have missed anything I can make another posting soon.....

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank vivavintage
ParadisusRioDeOro, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

Dear L.H.,

What can I say to someone that has visited us for 17 times.... The only word I can think about is THANK YOU!!!! Thank you for your kindness with all of our staff, for your happiness and for making our job far more nicer. Thank you for your trust in Paradisus Río de Oro and for your trust in the over 500 persons who work very hard every day to offer all of our guest a memorable experience and thank you for coming every year after year with such and enthusiastic attitude that is contagious to all of us.

See you soon at YOUR hotel.

Many thanks.

Eduardo Perera Castro

Reviewed March 22, 2011

We arrived to the hotel after driving about 8 hours from Trinidad and we were welcomed from friendly and helpful staff with a glass of champagne and felt at once very relaxed and at ease.
The hotel is trully perfect. I cannot find not one thing to complain about. The room, the grounds, the food, the beach, the service, the atmosphere, activities, all great!
We enjoyed our time in the pool very much, and in the beach - althought it was a bit windy and cloudy, and also had a very nice dinner at the Japanese restaurant with our great great chef Michael - many greetings amigo from Greece!!!
The only thing that comes to mind that could take some improvement is the night entertainment...It was a bit poor I think and ended early....Just that!
Overally though, as I said, we didn't want to leave the hotel, it was so wonderful!
Also it was VERY QUIET and relaxing and we didn't feel it was crowded at all, although it had high occupancy.
Do also take advantage of the excursions possible to nearby attractions since there are many interesting places to visit in the Holguin area.
Tip: the beach - Playa Esmeralda - is very impressive, but its not in front of the hotel, rather on the side, you have to walk down a few steps.
Hope some time to return ....

5  Thank NasDim

Reviewed March 22, 2011

We stayed at the Paradisus 4th-18th of March and had a fantastic time.
A special mention to some of the great couples we met on this visit Gavin and Becky, Deryl and Ken, Hazel and John (aka Dr Chris Steele) haha and our new Canadian friends Charlie, Jeanette and the gang amongst others, lovely to meet you all xx

FLIGHTS.
We flew from Manchester with Thomas Cook premium even though we had a delay of just over an hour on the outbound leg of the journey,we had a fantastic flight. My hubby is 6'6" and said with the seats and legroom this was the most comfortable he had ever been on a longhaul flight. The cabin crew were extremely friendly and eager to please, the service throughout the flight was great and needless to say with the drinks onboard we were slightly pickled when we arrived at Holguin airport. However the return flight was short staffed and we only received one drink throughout the whole flight, no biggie reall as we needed to start a dettox after 2wks at the PRDO.
When we arrived at Holguin,we were the only flight arrival and we passed through immigration, had our cases and were on the coach within 15mins.

HOTEL CHECKIN.
Even though it was raining heavily by the time we arrived at the hotel, the welcome was very warm, we were greeted with champagne and cold towels. We checked in very quickly and made our own way to our room on foot as it was right by the lobby we didn't feel the need to use the trolley service that was on offer (we were in room 4218).

ROOM.
Room was great,a huge comfortable bed, yes as everyone mentions the bathroom was in needof an update, but it was fully functional and kept extremely clean throughout our stay. The room however did smell a bit musty if we turned off our aircon, the smell soon cleared when switched back on. We didnn't leave it on all the time because some days were quite cool and we found it chilly if left on.

FOOD.
Buffet -: fantastic,plenty of choice for breakfast, lunch and tea with a great drinks service from Norge and the team.
We ate at all the a la cartes,(apart from the new royalservice one) our personal favourites were the japanes and el patio, we returned to both of these during our second week. For the rest of our stay we were more than happy with the buffet. We were invited to a returning guests meal at the beach, however due to bad weather we had to eat in the Santa Maria (beach restaurant) the food and service again was excellent as was the live band, who got some of the guests up dancing.
Our favourite during the day was the poolside snackbar great thin crust pizza's and please try the brochetta(shrimp and bacon skewer) it is fab !! The staff are really friendly and can't do enough to help make your time with them enjoyable.

POOL.
The pool is looking a bit tired and is in need of a bit of a re-furb, we were told that this is actually due to happen soon as the pool has a major leak and needs to be drained, but it will be out of action for about 3wks (during a quiet period sorry guys don't know when)

BEACH.
The beach is fabulous, loads better than on our last visit in 2008, alot of the rocks have gone from the waters edge (apparently due to hurricane Ike). The snorkelling to the right of the beach is great some fantastic fish to see, we even saw some Barracuda, one peered straight into my mask whilst we were feeding the smaller fish. If you wait until around 2.30pm you can walk out to the coral reef when the tide is low.
There was always plenty of sunbeds at the beach, which alleviated the need to get up at 6am to reserve a bed by the pool PATHETIC !!! we were woken almost every morning by the other inconsiderate guests in block 42 that used to do this and felt the need to slam the bedroom doors on the way out then 5mins later on the way back in...............

STAFF.
A special mention to George, Luis, Chang and Mellina at the pool bar, fantastic service, but beware of Mellina's cocktails they are lethal as we found out one day. There is no such thing as an empty glass with George around.
The lobby bar seemed to be under staffed and tips did seem to help (sorry to say !)
Pool snack bar staff were consistantly friendly and helpful no matter what, as were the the buffet restaurant team. A big thankyou to Taime for the beautiful towel art and daily upkeep of the room. Lastly the gardeners who work very hard to keep the hotel grounds looking immaculate, beautiful !

ENTERTAINMENT.
We only used to eat at 9pm in the evenings, so we didn't see much of the evening entertainment, what we did see seemed a bit samey every night. The music bar opened 10pm-2am we went in once with another couple and were the only ones in there, so we chose all our own song choices for the dj to play which was great and had the whole dancefloor to ourselves.
The daytime entertainment staff had activities on the go for most of the day, but we chose to chill on the sunloungers and watch everyone else tiring themselves out.

OUT AND ABOUT.
We only went on one trip, the speedboat adventure, which was a bit disappointing as our first boat kept cutting out, after 20mins they swapped it for another boat which was slow and couldn't keep up with the convoy even at full throttle it also filled up with water upto waist height whilst we were out at sea, (a bit scary!)
We did plenty of walking around the resort and saw lots of wildlife including one of the rat like creatures (sorry forgot what they are called) Please don't be put off by them, they look more like a beaver than a rat. Our block was by one of the fountains the frogs at night are hilarious, Paul McCartney eat your heart out hahahahahaha !

GENERAL.
The weather was a bit hit and miss, some sun, some rain but quite breezy all the time. We will be back but probably end of April/May as March was a bit cool for us.
We did go to the royal service section with a view to upgrading, but we felt it was way to quiet up there and if we upgraded we would just spend our days and evenings in the main section anyway, and our room was perfecly adequate for us.
All in all another fabulous stay well done PRDO, keep up the good work xxx
(sorry for the longwinded review, if theres anything i've missed or you have any questions, just ask )

8  Thank Browny123

Reviewed March 19, 2011

For anyone going to Cuba, I will be recommending the Paradisus because the food, service, accommodation, spa, the grounds and staff is all excellent. This was our 5th trip to Cuba and this was our best experience. We stayed in a Jr Suite (3500 building) which was closer to the beach. Sweet and beautiful Ana M. look after our room and Alex kept up to our room beer demands. We recommend the International and Japanese Restaurants, but all the meals we ate at La Ceiba Buffet were great too. The meal & service is even better at the Royal but you have to pay extra if you're not staying there, but it's worth it.

2  Thank Joan_Rocky

Old review, thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort
#2 of 17 in Cayo Santa Maria
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
Memories Holguin Beach Resort
#3 of 4 in Rafael Freyre

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!