“Not too bad”

Brisas Trinidad del Mar
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Trinidad
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The location is beautiful as is the beach. Food was okay too, was always able to find something to eat. Rooms were clean and comfortable and there was just one day when water pressure was a problem. The staff was very friendly although they could responded to one request (the room safe) a bit quicker. The town of Trinidad is just 10 km distant and well worth the effort to visit during the day and in the evening at the Casablanca de la Trovas.
Very reasonably priced, comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BrentM156
There are newer reviews for Brisas Trinidad del Mar

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Let me first start off by saying that if you are looking for a All Inclusive Hotel in Trinidad, Cuba with an amazing buffet selection, Egyptian cotton sheets, and 50 channels on the TV etc. then this is not the place for you. At this point I would suggest you stick to going somewhere else like The Dominican Republic, Mexico, or Jamaica. Now, if you have done your research about Cuba then be sure to read this review as I've tried my best to capture the whole image for you during my 7 day stay with my family, making 6 of us.

We flew with CanJet airways from Toronto and had no complaints with the service we received on the plane both going to Cuba and returning to Toronto. That being said, I do know other flight carriers such as SunWing, WestJet and Air Canada also fly to Trinidad. It all comes down to timing and where you are flying out from in Canada. Before I write about the hotel one has to remember that Cubans are such warm, open people and they like to get to know you. All the staff at the hotel do try hard to keep up the hotel, all the way from the cleaning maids to the front reception. That being said the only problem I had with the staff were with the entertainers, they honestly did not try hard enough to organize activities at the hotel. Our family is quite an active family and had the entertainers tried to organize games like bocce, dance classes, aerobics, beach volleyball etc. I would have given a full score to this hotel.

The hotel itself is 3 hours from Santa Clara but the bus ride goes quickly if you sleep through it or observe the Cuban landscape. If you land in Cienfuegos then your bus will be shorter. The Hotel building itself sits on a Peninsula and is quite isolated away from the City of Trinidad. The Beach is fabulous and seems like the place that most people enjoyed spending their time at. While the food selection is not what you get in other Caribbean countries I still enjoyed eating what there had to offer. I can guarantee all Cuban food is 100% organic hence I do take the opportunity to enjoy it as much as possible. The hotel does have 3 a la Carte restaurants and I do suggest you visit all 3 just to try: Cuban Food, International Food, and Seafood. Seafood for my family seem to be the best hence we saved it for last. One tip I do suggest for everyone is to attain a room on the first or second floor of the buildings as the water pressure in this region is not the greatest. My room did have hot water so I don't get some of the other reviewers complaints and warn you to take those 'shorter complaints' with a grain of salt.

Be sure when you are at the hotel that you at least take the Mountain Tour trip where you go up in the mountain range in a Russian Army Truck and visit a large waterfall, Cave, and have 20-30 minutes to swim in a lagoon where you can also jump off a smaller waterfall that also has a vine for swinging. We also visited the city of Trinidad on a tour which is easy to navigate but also very beautiful! I returned once more by renting scooters from our hotel at the cost of $13 CUC for 2 hours and definitely had a blast navigating the Cuban Roads. You can also pay a boat from the Hotel for 10 CUC to take you 2 km's away from the hotel to snorkel which I also recommend highly. Finally, if you really want amazing Cuban Lobster be sure to ask for a gentleman by the name of Santiago at the Front Desk to help you go to a restaurant in the Cuban village for some amazing lobster. He will know what you are talking about haha.

Overall I enjoyed every moment of my stay at this hotel and would definitely come back to visit Trinidad one more time. There is no place like this in the Caribbean and if you can over come those small little problems you will have a blast!

Enjoy my friends :)

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to have a room in Block 8001 - 8206 if you want a view of Trinidad, the mountain r...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Polish_Legion
Reviewed January 3, 2013

After staying here twice I can say that the place is nicely located, as an all inclusive it provides drinks and food. The drinks are good, the food is average but one time there was no hot water for the two days we stayed there and the other time the water was warm but without any pressure and it just dripped out. Large place and the location of your room can add or take away from your experience. There was a show each night starting at 21:30 which was a good way to pass an hour. I found the porter handling the baggage service oriented but not as service oriented at the front desk. With groups using this place the front desk in the evening when the groups arrive can be pandemonium. Overall it is ok but it does have a great beach.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank The_Don_Francisco
Reviewed December 28, 2012

If I had just read these reviews I would not had gone... but I made it there as the extended family had picked it and had been there before (so was trusting their recomendation more than most people reviewing it here). Its not the Orient, the Ritz and its not Sandals... but its not the place that many describe here.

All of our 3 rooms had warm water. Had preasure... hell - had water. AC worked very well (had to turn it off at night - it got cold). They were clean and they were comfortable. Sure - pasta I'm sure was not the best. If you travel to Cuba to eat pasta then you will hate most all hotels. Food was decent. Service was very good. The people are open, helpful and happy all the time. The beach is amazing. Sorry - did not try the pool but the kids liked it. Yes - the people there tend to ask for tips and other stuff... which bug me to no end. I told them no - and was never asked again. You have to put it in context - it's Cuba. They have problems that most countries don't face.

Overall it was a great. 4 kids, 4 adults. We all had a great time. Good facilities, good services. I would go again if I wanted to visit Trinidad. From Toronto, the trip is long and not well scheduled, but that is Sunwind not the Hotel. Long - I could had gone to Bora Bora on the time it took us to get there... (4 hour flight - but it really was 13 hours before we were in our hotel rooms). I had always avoided resorts with "entretaiment" groups but I have to say - its not bad. Its not brodway but it got us out of our rooms and we had fun togather - got the kids from using the TV. Buffet is like most buffets - try to go to the grill and have food to order. You are not in Mexico and they do have limits on what they can make. Eat local and you will not go wrong. They cook for themselfs so if you are looking for european food or bugers then best of luck.

It was a great time. If you remember you are traveling to one of the poorest areas of Cuba and remember that the beach, the culture, the people, their smile and their local foods/fruits are the best they offer (alogn with clean acomodation) then you will have a great, great time.

Room Tip: The 3 rooms we had were on the 9000 block... perhaps there are other building that have the problems...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank ramsesm
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband, myself and 6 of our friends travelled to Cuba in December of this year. We stayed at Brisas Trinidad and could not have been happier with our experience. The resort was lovely, the staff very friendly and attentive. We have definately made some memories with the people there. Our room was awesome, overlooking a small bay and beautiful gardens. The housekeeping staff were tremendous. We did not have any problems with water, electricity, nasty people, dirty surroundings or any of the other rumored experiences that I have been reading on this site. Our Sunwing representative was an amazing person who did everthing she could to make our trip an adventure to remember. We would highly recommend the Eco tour into the mountains...what a great time! Overall we rate this place 10 out of 10. For all of you nay sayers out there...THIS IS CUBA...did you honestly go there and expect the Ritz????? We are looking forward to returning to this most awesome place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Lee Ann O
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My personal experience was fine. Others in our group had issues such as zero water pressure & broken air conditioner. The location and property is so beautiful. Breakfast buffet was good & variety was plentiful. The fresh orange juice was fantastic. The flowers to the ladies & cigars to men is a nice touch. Our group was able to eat dinner in an upstairs dining room. This meal was OK. My husband's steak was maybe at best acceptable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank 2togoNebraska
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We were there for 2 weeks and didn't have time to be bored. Of course you have to go out at the mountain and the city of Trinidad. Of course you have to eat fish in Cuba and of course you have to be open mind when you travel. We are now returning to celebrate New years'day.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank isabelle739
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
Iberostar Grand Hotel Trinidad
Hotel La Ronda
#2 of 11 in Trinidad
Iberostar Parque Central
Hotel Mercure Sevilla Havane

Been to Brisas Trinidad del Mar? Share your experiences!