“Not That Bad Afterall”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Trinidad
Winnipeg, Canada
“Not That Bad Afterall”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We spent one night here as part of our "overnight to Topes" tour. At first glance I was a bit freaked out but I did just leave a 5 star resort to take the tour. Everything seemed dark in the room when we entered and the lighting was not very good so there were many dark areas and I'm a bit freaked out about bugs etc so I was hesitant about staying there. Our rooms were all 2 double beds with a nightstand between them and the thought of sleeping in this room scared the heck out of me, didn't think I'd sleep a wink. Our tour guide was kind enough to allow us to push the beds together so my husband and I could sleep nearby each other and she even helped us do so.

The bathroom seemed so dark with its red tiles but once you looked close it was obvious that not only was it clean but it was also quite newly redone. The shower area is just slightly recessed from the floor and has a shower curtain. I thought for sure that the floor would be soaked but it actually worked very well. The walls seem to be made of concrete and there is a fair size closet in the room with a couple of commercial type benches inside. There is a wall safe that requires a key, I expect it is at an additional cost as we didn't get one. The furniture is mostly of a wicker type look and it does the job. The views were absolutely amazing, I had wished I could pack it up and take it back to our resort with us! The patio door did have a large space at the bottom but we just pushed a towel up against it to sleep. The most concerning thing for me was the fact that I couldn't locate a single smoke detector anywhere in the room.

So to sum things up I was a bit put off at first by the room but once I got past the dark corners I saw it for what it truly was, a decent room that was quite clean.

It wouldn't be my place to stay for a long vacation but one night was just fine. I think for backpackers it would be an ideal place to lay your head at night as the sights nearby are amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tracey W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before hiking the following day in Topes de Collantes. Food is not bad. The room was basic, clean, and everyone in our room had a great night's sleep. Be sure to bring your own shampoo as there is none.

• Stayed January 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This place is simply awful...but it is the best of the few hotels in Topes.

Surly, uninterested staff in the hotel itself. Restaurant staff are better and do offer a smile.

Whilst the rooms are clean, the balcony doors do not lock and the curtains clings for dear life to the curtain pole. All very shabby, but if you into the hostel type experience then you will cope.

Be prepared for basic food if the flies that sit on the open food does not put you off. I can cope with a few inevitable flies, however breakfast which was laid out on the table before sitting down was so infested i didn't recognise the fruit.

When i next go to Cuba i will stay in Trinidad and visit Topes on a day trip.

The other hotels are even worst...i would even consider them if i were you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Vespa4Life

Travelers are raving about these Trinidad hotels

North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed in this hotel one night as part of my Trinidad tour from Havana, I recommand this hotel. It is clean, quiet, great location on top of mountains and good food. I liked my room and it was pretty comfortable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Kijiji2010
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We stayed here on our second night in Topes as we were relocated the first night to nearby Villa Caburni. Los Helechos is definitely the better option. It offers a buffet restaurant for breakfast (Included) and dinner (13 CUC per person) , Lunch was a la carte. Their is a heated indoor pool (Water was cold when we were there, heating system has been out of commission since last year) Disco and Games room (Bowling and Pool Table) was also available at an additional charge (quite minimal)

The rooms were quite spacious, Our room had 2 double beds, cable tv and shower with plenty of pressure and hot water.

Tip: All in all this is best equipped hotel in the Topes area, Their really isn't much to compare to. Also in terms of food options their really isn't much options, if you don't want to pay the over priced buffet at Los Helechos you can dine at nearby El Retiro for less than half the cost and you'll also get a wonderful view.

I don't think we will be returning to Topes especially staying for more than 1 night, I would recommend Topes for a really good day trip as their is alot to see. For accommodations and restaurant options Trinidad is your best bet.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Brossard, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Very scenic Hotel with excellent facilities. Good food. The Hotel is 840 m above the Sea Level. We took Russian Truck to Park Guanayara. The trip was enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KAMAL A
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed here on an overnight trip with a group for a hiking tour in the mountains. The staff were very welcoming, the food was good, rooms were clean and showers were hot. I would have loved to have stayed to get to know the area better. I've seen complaints on here that there were dead flies/mosquitos, beds are clammy, rooms are damp..... you're on a mountain in the rainforest, be realistic! We loved it and wouldn't have any problem going again or staying longer!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cathy A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
Iberostar Grand Hotel Trinidad
#6 of 6 in Cienfuegos
Starfish Cuatro Palmas
Starfish Cuatro Palmas
#9 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Hotel Los Helechos? Share your experiences!