“One of the very few excellent restaurants we ate in Cuba”
Review of Sol Ananda

Sol Ananda
Ranked #6 of 120 Restaurants in Trinidad
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is a paladar in Trinidad.Local phone is 041998281
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Many restaurants in Cuba have fantastic locations and impressive interiors and this one is no exception, but frequently the food is unimaginative and service very poor. In Cuban terms 'Sol Ananda' was exceptional for its service and the quality of the food, as well as being located on the corner of Plaza Mayor in Trinidad in a beautifully preserved colonial house.

Maybe we were particularly swayed by the fact that in a country where there is always another four piece band, the musicians playing while we were there were perhaps the best we heard.

The menu was unusual with some exotic offerings and what we had was delicious. We thought that the chef could have left off the menu some of the "international" dishes and stuck to producing more takes on traditional Cuban recipes, which they did very well.

While we were in Cuba we wished we had access to internet to check Tripadvisor. Our advice is have a list of places to eat before you travel to Cuba as choosing a restaurant proved very hit and miss and recommendations were sorely missed!

1  Thank Katya_Keith
There are newer reviews for Sol Ananda

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

We were treated so well on here the customer service was unreal! The food was amazing! I had some great fish very tasty and my other half had pork and really enjoyed it!! The music was great! But the waiters were the best! Gentlemen! The wine caller was class on the bed! Random And different! Good wine also which helps!! Highly recommend!!!!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

As every visitor to Cuba can testify, the food in Cuba is generally tasteless, overcooked and bland. After weeks of this trepid roast chicken/rice/beans-standard, imagine my joy when we in Trinidad on the main square of Trinidad found a paladar with a very exciting menu, with exotic influences. Then imagine my disappointment when the Lemon Chicken turned out to be extremely chewy, to the point of unedible. I struggled with it for a few minutes, then gave up and put it to the side table. Fortunately my girlfriends plate was almost big enough to stifle the hunger for both of us, and her food was all right. The waiter collected my almost untouched meal and asked "No good?". I confirmed with a sad smile that it was indeed no good. After that they ignored us completely. We assumed they would offer any compensation meal, or at least ask what the problem was, but no one approached. We were still a bit hungry, so we decided to try one of the desserts. But no one offered us a menu or asked if everything was all right or if we would like some dessert. After an hour we were alone in the room with eight waiters, still no response. Finally we gave up. But the bill came very quickly, with no deduction for the unedible chicken.

So with a meal I could not chew and swallow, and a service which deliberately ignored us for two hours, I can not possibly give a positive review. It was actually the worst restaurant experience we had in the country.
On the bright side; the interior was interesting, the bill came very quickly, and the wine list was probably the best we ever saw in Cuba.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

'May I have a wine list?' I asked. 'Its on the bed,' was the waiter's reply. And indeed it was, because behind our table was an antique double bed with all the wines on offer laid out and priced. Other diners popped in from time to time to choose their wine. (I recommend the local Seratoa; it's different!)

This grand house has been carefully restored and is just as it's wealthy former owners left it. Furniture, pictures and ornaments, record an opulent lifestyle. By our table a painting of Venice and a model of the Statue of Liberty. The staff were good value too; the head waiter's handling of a French couple who complained the room was too cold was a delight. He had their table moved to another room, then told us what he thought of the French!

Excellent food too. I had chicken with cassava, followed by a fruit fondue with plenty of melted chocolate. You can go overboard here, have a truly memorable evening and still have change from 50 CUC, about £35. By UK standards it's great value. But remember that the average local wage here is around 20 CUC a month; most Cubans can only afford to look in the window.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Dinner for 2. Fantastic atmosphere. It is situated on the main square, Plaza Mayor, of the old town. It was like dining in a museum. It was beautifully decorated and furnished in the grandeur of the past. There were tables set up in the bedroom with the bed in it. There was a good lively band. The maitre'd is the brother of the owner who is an architect. He spoke good English and when asked, gave us a very interesting history of the house. We had squid to start and a grilled lobster and fish of the house for main. The squid was tasty. I had asked for the lobster not to be overcooked. The lobster was delicious, probably prepared with some sherry but just a little overcooked. The fish was stuffed with shrimp and tomato salsa sauce which was delicious. The food bill was 41 CUC, well worth it.