“Una casa muy particular” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal-Javier

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Hostal-Javier
Ranked #76 of 346 Trinidad B&B and Inns
Bolzano, Italy
“Una casa muy particular”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

In Trinidad we stayed in this quiet and clean independent apartment that Javier offered us. He's precious advices and Barbara's excellent cuisine mad our stay in Trinidad to one of the most pleasant days we spent in our trip in Cuba. We definitely feel like advising Javier's Hostal to anyone who is looking for a special stay in Trinidad.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martina V

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

The best stay out of my whole trip in Cuba!

On arrival in Trinidad Javier was waiting at the bus station for me and it was a very short walk to the casa. At the casa I met his wife Barbara and was shown my room (see below), then we sat down in the small courtyard for a chat where he spent a significant amount of time explaining the sights and various excursions that can be taken from Trinidad.
I instantly felt at home, particularly after Barbara's delicious lobster dinner! The dinners are amazing - with a choice of meats and fish for dinner everyday, there really is no need to go and search for a restaurant!

I had 4 days in Trinidad and in that time Javier organised my diving trip and a Catamaran day trip. He also recommended the famous "steps" on Saturday night to watch the live band and dance with the locals after which he recommended going to Club Ayala or La Cueva as the locals call it - a club literally in a cave. It's definitely one of Cuba's hidden gems and I'm surprised that international DJ's are not yet fighting for a spot there!

Javier and Barbara are the best hosts you could ask for and their Casa is superb. The rooms are very large, super clean and very homely. The food is divine and tehir hospitality is second to non.

Thank you so much for making me a part of your family for the short time I was with you and I hope very much to see you both again soon.

Room Tip: If you are able to, stay in the room connected with the main house. You have a private front door p...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank oltona
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed at Javier's place with a friend. We had a great time with good food, nice company of the hosts Javier and Barbara and great tips for leisure time activities (night and day activities). The service (for taxi, information, help, organisation of souvenirs at a good price) was excellent.
Definitely a place to stay longer.

Room Tip: The room has a two entries: one to the street and one to a green inner courtyard with table and chai...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yvonne K
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This year I had my first ever trip to the amazing Cuba and my friend Annie who is a frequent traveller to Trinidad highly recommended that I visit her Cuban family for some local knowledge and site seeing suggestions.

On the day of my arrival I easily located Javier's centrally located home (and my sense of direction is terrible) and received such an open and warm welcome from the entire family.

In fact I ended up spending several afternoons with Javier and his family filled with laughter, discussions of Cuban Culture and plotting out local attractions.

During this time I was taken back by how much care was given in making sure that their guests felt at home. Not to mention the rooms - they are huge!!!!

I certainly wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else next time that I am back in Trinidad!!!!

Thanks so much again for looking after me, making me feel at home, introducing me to the best local rums and to top it off arranging accommodation for me across Cuba. Your all super stars.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank NaomiSuzanneDavis
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

we (my wife and i) have stayed for 4 nights at javier's. javier waited for us at the bus station and accepted us in a warm hospitility, we imidiatly felt at home.

barbara cooked us delicious breakfasts and dinners while javier took care of our needs and gave us a very detailed explanations abouts activities in trinidad and the area, day and night, culture and beaches and more.

we have had the best time, hopefully we could come back soon to visit again :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Itay M
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My brother and I came to Trinidad for a couple nights, but ended up staying the rest of our trip (several days) in Trinidad, because Javier was so awesome. Trinidad is a wonderful place, but it would not have been anywhere near as wonderful without the help of Javier. He didn't have any space in his houses, but he arranged for us to stay at another casa particular for a couple nights. Even though he was not hosting us, he invited us into his house and gave us advice on what to do in Trinidad, served us juice and invited us to come back whenever we wanted for further advice. A couple days later we moved into one of his houses when we extended our stay and it was incredible. He has a very high standard for the network of houses that he coordinates. From that point on, we ate dinner at his house and drank and smoked cigars with Javier every evening. Dinner at his house was delicious and the choice of meats unending. If you want something, he can get it for you! He also took the time to explain the intricacies of cigars to my brother and I, both cigar novices.

I have done a lot of traveling, but I don't know that I have ever met such a great host. I think his awesomeness stems from his genuine love of what he does and learning about and interacting with other cultures.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank eulberg
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I took my first trip to Cuba and headed straight on a bus out to Trinidad to meet Annie, and Aussie girl I met by coincidence at my hairdressers just before I embarked on a 2 month solo trip in Central America.
How lucky was I!
I had never stayed at a casa particular before and didn't know what to expect. Annie suggested I stay with Javier. Great decision.
Javier and his wife Barbie make you feel welcome immediately.
Javier speaks great English and is very helpful.
They have a room at the back of their residence with an adjoining cute patio area where you have your meals. The room has 2 large beds and ensuite and a side door. There is also a fridge and television in the room. I didn't watch any telly though. No time for that when gorgeous Trinidad is there to be explored.
You have complete privacy.
Javier is a very proud man and wants you to comfortable and welcome. He will check with you each day to see what meals you'd like and Barbie his beautiful wife will cook them for you. She is an amazing chef.
Her flan and lobster are to die for! The meals were fantastic, plentiful and fresh. If you decide not to dine at the casa and eat out, they do not make you feel bad, they just want their guests to enjoy their stay.
Barbie and Javier took me to a local salsa club. Their friends and family came along and I had a true Cuban experience. They got me up dancing and I had the time of my life. Javier has a beautiful family. They told me many stories about Cuban life and traditions.
The location is perfect. Is is right near all the action but is also in a quiet spot to ensure a good night's sleep.
I wanted to go diving so Javier organised a man he knew to take me. It was so cheap ($25 AUD from memory) and he was a certified instructor and the dive site was great.
I actually cried when I left. I never do that and I travel a lot. I was so moved by this family and their friends.
I would recommend you to stay here if you want an amazing stay in Trinidad. Javier also has connections in other areas of Cuba and can arrange your onward journey for you.
I will be going back, hopefully next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo