“My home away from home”
Review of Hostal-Javier

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Hostal-Javier
Ranked #95 of 366 Trinidad B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I have been staying with Javier in Trinidad now for over ten years for months at a time. It was by chance that myself and a friend ended up on his doorstep and it changed my life forever.

I have spent year's now staying with Javier and my cuban family and have many treasured experiences along the way. The moment you step through the door, whether it be for a day or a week or like myself many years, crossing paths with my 'papa' will have a memorable impact on you.

His willingness to assist every person that stays with him is second to none. If you are looking for the true cuban experience and wish to learn more about this amazing country and it's people make sure take the opportunity and the time to speak with him share a rum and a cigar and some quality time and get to know him. This will undoubtably be the surprise highlight of your cuban adventure.

The room is fantastic, the meals amazing and staying with Papa and Barbie will only enrich your stay even more. He has all the information around town but most importantly the willingess to share this to enlighten you on your journey.

Room Tip: To chose a good room make sure that you have a good introduction to the family you intend to stay wi...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Anne-Maree C

Reviewed April 6, 2012

I spent 1 night in one of the casa's Javier rents while travelling in March in Cuba.
Location was great, the room was spacious, clean and quiet and the food was excellent. The water pressure in the shower was low but that's quite common in Cuba and we didn't mind.
Javier was extremely helpful and the family was very friendly.
I would definitely recommend it (and return if I can)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dina256
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We first met and stayed with Javier on our first trip to Cuba in 2000..He is a wonderful person..so interesting..He has helped me change bus tickets,set me up with other hostels all through cuba,taught me some spanish,taken my male friends to cock fights,arranged transport for us to Varadero.. I consider him my cuban family.You can not go wrong staying here and you will probably make a friend for life..Speaks perfect english,has a great sense of humor and always has time for you.Even has helped my girl friends with some legal problems.Can npt wait to see him when I am there in April..

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank gotomanitoba
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Javier, Barbie and their whole extended family are people who will meet you, greet you and make your stay in Trinidad one to be remembered. Unfortunately Javier was booked out when I got there, but he arranged an equally comfortable place for me to stay and made sure I knew everything there was to know about the sights and sounds of Trinidad. I had no doubt I was welcome to drop into his house for a drink and a chat before heading out... And I did so regularly... When I moved on to Cienfuegos, after a week, Javier gave me a contact to stay with (again an awesome experience)... Contact him, I promise, you won't regret it... (girls if you want to get your nails done... Ask him to introduce you to Rosie)...

Tanya :)

Room Tip: Don't think about it... Everything you need, Javier will help you with... A great guy!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TanyaLeeD
Reviewed January 17, 2012

If only everyone could have the experience of staying with Javier & Barby it would make their holiday so much better. In fact, we'd go so far as to say it would probably make their lives better!!! We did a round-the-world trip and staying at Hostal Javier was the absolute highlight of our time in Cuba.

From the moment we stepped off the bus in Trinidad (which is an experience in itself!) Javier took us under his wing and treated us like we had known him for years. Javier is so well connected in town that any activity you are interested in doing he can hook you up with his trusted contacts. In the few days we had there we did horseriding, snorkelling, hired a scooter, saw many sights and went to the underground nightclub in a cave (very cool - a must do) but the options available are many more and varied if you have the time and money - though everything's pretty cheap in Cuba. Trinidad can be a little unnerving at times so having someone like Javier to look after you is invaluable. Something that I doubt you'd get staying at a fancy resort or hotel.

The food we had was incredible - some of the biggest & best meals we'd tasted in the world. The breakfast was a huge spread of fresh fruits, juices, yoghurt, baked breads, omelettes, ham, mango nectar & coffee. After this feast we rarely felt the urge to eat until dinner. Which again was amazing fare. African pork, butterflied lobster, cooked prawns and stewed lamb served with the best tasting congri, black bean soup, mixed salads and hand-cut hot chips. We even got dessert of stewed papaya and goat's cheese...all devine...if you can fit it in! Barby is the best cook!!! Don't go here if you're on a diet!

The company was of the very best kind too. Javier was willing to engage whenever we were up for it but if we wanted time alone then that was not a problem either. Javier lets you do as you please. We loved having Javier around us and often the best times were after a delicious dinner when we'd pat our full bellies and kick back in the courtyard with rum, red wines, fresh Cuban cigars and our dear friend Javier. Best! Every night we looked forward to the interesting, stimulating and of course entertaining conversations with Javier about the world, Cuban culture and everything in between!

The room was great - really spacious and more like a granny flat - with a double bed, your own bathroom, a table & chairs and a fully-stocked fridge. It's separate to the rest of the house so you feel like you have your own place. There's even a side exit so you can come and go as you please. Though we did share the odd rum or two with Javier in the house at his kitchen table!

Even if you can't get in to stay with Javier (I wouldn't be surprised if he's regularly booked out) he has other contacts in town that will also really look after you just as well. Javier & Barby are such lovely people they are so knowledgable they can help with any questions of concerns you may have. We have since recommended other friends to stay at Hostal Javier and they had just as good a time as we did.

If we ever went back to Trinidad (and we hope we do) there would be no question that we would stay with Javier - if he has his room available!

Thank you Javier & Barby for letting us into your home and giving us such a memorable experience. We will never forget you and would recommend your casa particulares to EVERYONE.

Room Tip: There is just one room available (or there was at the time we stayed here) so you better be quick.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Barbara and Javier are warm, amazingly hospitable people. They are so kind and welcoming that you will feel at home from the minute you'll get to the Casa. We stayed at Jostal Javier on November for 5 nights and LOVED every minute of it. The room was huge, clean and cosy, the frige full of great beer, Ron and wine. Every meal was amazingly tasty and genarous and rich of flavours. Barbara is an amazing cook. Javier and Barbara set with us at the end of every meal to talk with us and made us feel at home. Javier gave us great tips for things to do around Trinidad, and gave us helpfully tips. He helped us with all that we needed, from motorcycle rental tips to a ride back to Havana. His cigars are great as well ;). We warmly recommended staying at Javier and Barbara, A home away from home. Liad & Noga from Israel (honeymooners)

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Amazing place!! Javier told us everything we need to know and he helped us very much.
He is a very friendly man, and everything was great.
Thank's for all!!!