“Like eating in a museum with a walled garden”
Review of Paladar Sol Y Son

Paladar Sol Y Son
Ranked #9 of 126 Restaurants in Trinidad
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: In our palate can taste excellent dishes, but be patient, our cuisine is organic (charcoal), all meals are prepared at the time you order them, even view of the customer. For a pleasant stay we suggest options bar while listening to live music beautiful traditional trinitarian.
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Paladars are family run restaurants which serve Cuban food and normally to quite a high standard. We had not eaten at one in about a week or more of being in Cuba so we thought we would check it out. And I get the feeling this was simply an exceptional and charming experience.

I recommend getting here early in order to get a table. We arrived around 7.30 and it was very quiet. We were one of two couples there. This is always a source of concern for me when you turn up somewhere and it's quiet. We were quickly among a crowd though of mainly tourists coming through the door.

The decor here is just spectacular - it's part living museum, part restaurant. The house has been in the family for generations and they've beautifully decorated the entrance with antique furniture including a large beautiful bed with linen sheets etc. There are signs which describe the significance of each piece so you can understand what it was used for (the bed, perhaps, self evident).

The menu here is huge. It took us quite some time to eventually settle upon something to eat as there is a lot of choice. We shared two starters including Casabes which is a local food with shredded meat, onions and tomatoes. Very tasty too, it looks like pitta bread with a meaty stuffing but the 'bread' is a little soft, almost spongy. The meat is well-seasoned and if you enjoy pulled pork or pabellon creollo (Venezuelan dish) then you'll enjoy this. I had the brusquetta which was really fresh, simply made and better than a lot of ones I've had in much more upmarket places. Oh, at this stage we started drinking bottled water and cuba libres too.

Our main courses were interesting: my girlfriend had the best of the two which was a curried chicken with dried fruit. Needless to say curried chicken is not something I thought I would find myself eating in a small Cuban town - yet alone enjoy as much as I did. The meat is on the bone in case this is something that troubles you. My main course was not as good - it was the pork steak with the aged Havana rum. I was hoping for a sweet sauce, like a brandy sauce, which would accompany the pork, a normally quite sweet meat. This was just a raw shot of rum poured over grilled pork. The pork was grilled nicely but the raw rum was just too much and doesn't work at all. I ended up trying to avoid it and then poured it away on a side plate - such as waste. I recommend that they change this approach and reduce the rum in the pan with the pork at the last minute to create a sticky, sweet glaze. Shame.

At this stage we were stuffed and couldn't managed dessert. The whole dinner experience was very enjoyable. The dining area is "C" shaped looking onto a walled garden area with statutes, plants and flowers. There is a live band that plays and sings Spanish songs to the group. Typically, they will ask you to buy a CD or make a contribution for the pleasure of listening to them.

I would happily come back here again despite the disappointing main course. The whole experience is so enjoyable and the service is very thoughtful.

One recommendation: bring bug spray. We got bitten a little bit but not much.

Date of visit: June 2013

Reviewed August 12, 2013

A beautiful place, and an appalling menu. Perhaps we were overly adventurous in our choices, but the chocolate chicken was awful and shouldn't grace any menu. The chocolate was sweet and overpowering, more at home in an ice-cream sundae than a main course. The shredded pork had the texture of play-doh and nothing on the menu prepared us for the overpowering taste of coffee that accompanied it. Absolutely extraordinary. The tomato soup was laced with overpowering ginger (it doesn't work). We didn't hang around for dessert. Given the decent reviews below, and the positive listing in the guidebooks, we wondered whether they have a new chef. If so, he needs a crash course in cookery if he's to start producing food in which the ingredients work together. A really appalling meal.

Date of visit: August 2013
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The place was amazing. An 18th century mansion converted into a paladar. The music and vibe was also good, while the back of the mansion was open air, so we could enjoy our dinner under the stars.

However, the waiters were indifferent and not helpful, while the food was passable. I had the curried beef, which was stuffed with carnation making it impossible to eat. Restaurant was quite pricey, but that was to be expected as it is considered a high end one...

Date of visit: April 2013
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Our taxi driver dropped us at Son y Sol for lunch after our morning trip out to Valle de los ingenios and we were rather charmed by the fabulous interiors. Shutterbugs that we were, we were probably more intent on taking photos of the place than ordering our food. When we eventually got around to it, we got ourselves a chicken dish and a beef main to share. It probably ranked between average and good but just to put my rating in perspective, it really didn't offend the palette at all. We had a good enough lunch, enjoyed the ambiance of the place and left, satisfied and powered up to explore Trinidad for the remaining day.

Date of visit: March 2013
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Nice place but that's all.... the food was terrible. We ate in different paladars in Trinidad and were always happy but here we were very disappointed. The fish was not good ans the Ropa Vieja (traditional creole meal) was terrible. The accomodation was a little bit cold white rice.
Besides, this place was noisy!

Date of visit: May 2013