“Simply superb!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Hostal Misleydis y Gustavo
Ranked #14 of 215 Specialty Lodging in Trinidad
Waterton Lakes National Park, Canada
“Simply superb!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My stay at this casa was the highlight of my trip to Cuba. Misleidis and Gustavo are absolutely spectacular hosts. They welcome you into their home and treat you like family – offering a priceless glimpse into Cuban life. Their lovely house is situated a short walk from the centre, at a perfect distance from the tourist hubbub. The guest rooms are in a self-contained 2nd floor, complete with a sitting room for relaxing and 2 patios. Huge delicious meals are served in the garden below a big avocado tree. What makes this casa truly exceptional is their passion to share a taste of the “real Cuba” with their guests. They have connections with professional teachers in all aspects of Cuban culture –language, music and art. They arrange classes in Spanish, dance, music (drumming, guitar, sax ...)or art (painting, pottery) for just a few hours or a few weeks, whatever fits your schedule. I can’t recommend this casa any more highly. You will fall in love with the family and with Cuba.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I completely agree with all the previous reviewers. My husband surprised me by taking me to Cuba for one month, of which two weeks were spent in Trinidad at Gustavo and Misleidis. It was an excellent choice to take Spanish lessons three hours every morning with Misleidis friend Juani and salsa lessons every afternoon with Misleidis' daughter Yaili. Both were excellent teachers.

Gustavo and Misleidis were stellar hosts. They welcomed us with a glass of fresh mango juice, after Gustavo met us at the bus terminal. The children (13 year old Alejandro and Isabela) were also very welcoming, greeting us every day when they saw us at breakfast or dinner. We can't say enough about Misleidis' cooking. Not only were the meals (we ate there every morning and night) prepared with care, they were enormous, and served in the breezy yard. She made sure we tasted the local fare, with a lot of variety of vegetables and fruit, including, enormous avocados from their backyard. We celebrated my husband's birthday while there, and they all surprised us at dinner, carrying a cake and lit candles, and singing Happy Birthday to him. Earlier in the afternoon Misleidis helped me organize a special cocotaxi outing to see the sunset from the top of the hill.

Misleidis speaks very good English, but we preferred practicing Spanish, and she completely complied, patiently. Gustavo's sense of humour greatly animated the meal times, and his canchanchara, a trinidad cocktail of lime, rum, honey and water added to the fun.

Trinidad is a safe city, where we walked all day and at night, without ever feeling ill at ease. We took the hop on hop off bus to the beaches a few times. Yaili recommended the one by "the grill" and it ended up being our favourite one. The night life in Trinidad is lively, the music abundant in a relaxed atmosphere where we enjoyed watching the locals and tourists mingle and dance.

Trinidad is a very pretty colonial town, but the streets are really in need of repair. there are huge pot holes in the cobblestone streets that the bicitaxis must negotiate while paying attention to all the other modes of transportation: bicycles, cars, mopeds, pedestrians, trucks and mototaxis. None of this bothered us as we walked everywhere, and it added to the Cuban experience charm. We hope to return to Trinidad, and when we do, we will certainly stay at Gustavo and Misleidis, as we now feel as their friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank micheleyukon
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed with Misleidis and Gustavo last month (July) 2013 and i could not have found more welcoming and helpful hosts. Their casa is comfortable, clean and the food excellent. I had a minor accident while driving in Cuba and Gustavo went out of his way to make sure that I was okay and minimize the impact. I will be returning to Cuba in February next year and when in Trinidad will be staying here again. Thank you heaps see you in Feb Gustavo and Misleidis! Oh and nearly forgot to mention Gustavo's own cocktail, I can;t remember the name but make sure you have one!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
nomadcrazychica
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have returned to this casa many times and the hospitality continues to be excellent. They now have 2 bedrooms upstairs with private en-suite bathrooms. The rooms are modern, spacious, full of natural light and tastefully decorated. There is an indoor living area with a couple of rocking chairs, where you can read a book in peace or you can relax in the outdoor (upstairs) patio. You now have access to a door at the side of the casa, so if you need, you can have a little more privacy. Meals are scrumptious, the best I've tasted in Cuba and they continue to be served in the downstairs patio, where it is beautiful and fresh. The family are amazing, they really make you fell welcome and help you organise lots of activities in Trinidad i.e. Diving, horseback riding, snorkelling. They can also organise Salsa lessons or if you are interested in the arts painting, pottery and music etc. If you want to stay in Trinidad, I definitely recommend this casa, I wouldn´t stay anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Lovely people, lovely home, lovely food. It was the perfect complement to the wonderful craziness of Havana - wished I could have stayed longer - but my hosts helped me make the most of my brief time there: I went to the beach, rode out into the valley and experienced the night-life. Thank-you for a wonderful time - I hope to return one day!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed with Misleidis and Gustavo for 3 weeks this August and I could not have asked for a better place to stay! My friend and I had planned to stay a week and a half, but we just didn't want to leave. The family gave us a wonderful welcome and we felt immediately at home. Misleidis speaks very good English and Gustavo and their twins are very patient and well practiced at helping Spanish learning novices. Staying with them gave us a brilliant gateway to the cuban way of life.

The rooms are lovely, well air conditioned, clean and comfortable, and there is a private roof for guests, with patches of sun and shade granted by the giant avocado tree in the garden. The casa is also well situated for enjoying the delights of Trinidad, a safe walking distance from the centre of town, the museums, the historical sites and the best places to dance. Gustavo is also able to organise taxis and direct you to the best excursions if you want to go further-a-field. Misleidis and Gustavo can also help if you wish to organise lessons in spanish, salsa, or even pottery

We ate every night in the casa and Misleidis cooking never failed to impress, always good servings with lots of diferent meats, fish, vegetables and really tasty rice. Breakfast too were fantastic with lots of fresh fruit and good cuban coffee.

I can't recomend this hostel enough, if you are going to Trinidad don't even think of staying anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our stay at Gustavo y Misleidis could not have been better. We originally planned to spend 10 days with them, using Trinidad as a base to improve our Spanish and Salsa skills, but we couldn't leave! We ended up staying at the Casa for almost the entireity of our three week trip.
The rooms were clean, comfortable and air-conditioned and there is a lovely private outdoor veranda on which to relax and enjoy the tranquility of the setting. We had our own entrance to the casa which meant we could come and go as we pleased, and meant the rooms felt very private. The family were always on hand downstairs however if we needed them for anything. The Casa is ideally situated, less than a five minute walk from one of the town squares, and approximately 10 to the Casa de la Musica and the best of the nightlife.
Misleydis cooked us typical Cuban dinners which was always fresh, delicious and plentiful, which we enjoyed outside in the patio, when the weather allowed. We were lucky enough to be there in Avocado season, the Avacados from the tree in their back garden were the best I've ever tasted!
The hospitality was second to none, nothing was ever a problem. The couple are very knowledgable, we had some very interesting conversations about the Cuban way of life, it's people, it's history and everything in between. - sometimes with a Canchanchara in hand, or over a game of cards or dominos.
Misleydis' English is almost perfect, if that's what you want, but the family, including their 12 year olds Alejandro and Isabella, are also very patient and encouraging for peole trying to learn or improve their Spanish! The couple are so well connected, having lived in Trinidad their whole lives, that anything can be organised. - even when I decided that we should rent the oldest car in the town, get a local cigar, a bottle of Gustavo's famous Canchanchara and take it for a drive down the peninsula to the beach! They will ensure that whatever excursions you choose to go on, that you get the best experience for you.
By the end of our stay we truly felt part of the family. I really cannot speak highly enough of them or of their accomodation, it was just perfect. When we return to Trinidad we'll be sure to stay here!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends