“a quiet break” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Trinidad
kw
“a quiet break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

a basic 3 star hotel, coffee bar was great, spent most of time on the beach and with the outdoor bar, did not see any shows, food was okay for a 3 star, drinks were the usual, staff were friendly and helpful, courteous, etc... it helps to tip a bit, I found bringing the little things go a long way such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, Tylenol, etc for the locals because its hard for them to get this stuff

Room Tip: I stayed in room 8107, my maid was friendly and helpful
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
ab
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I recently spent 1 week at the Amigo Ancon (Sept.13 to 20) This was my 6th visit to this hotel and my 8th visit to Cuba. Previous trips to Santiago de Cuba and Playa Giron are not comparible. This trip I found pretty much everything as I remembered it. I visit for 2 weeks in March and 1 week in the 'off season', Aug/Sept. I was warmly welcomed by staff who remember me by name and treat me like visiting family.
Yes, the hotel is practically shut-down due to low numbers of guests. The buffet only for your main meals still offers a good selection of food, (believe it or not, somethings are still seasonable in Cuba too) the snack bar for pizzas, sandwiches, fries (the best) and occasionally a hamburger. Thanks Rolli. We (the Canadians) were treated to 1 a la carte dinner which was absolutely fine.
The lobby bar and the beach/snack bar were open with the same
courteous service (thanks fellows) and the special coffee bar in the lobby even opened for one night. Yes, the swim-up bar only opened on our last day, thanks Conrado but the pool was open and clean. thanks Carlos.
The best kept secret at the Ancon has to be the wine bar (la Cava). I do not understand why the travel reps at the hotel or the hotel itself doesn't promote this hidden gem. No, it is not 'All Inclusive' but the superb selection of both red and white wines are very moderately priced, and if you don't know what you like, Ivan will be more than happy to recommend something for you. He is also a wealth of knowledge on the hotel, the area and Cuba in general. I looked forward to my quiet time, great glass of wine and conversations with Ivan every evening, away from the noise of the rest of the hotel. Thanks Ivan. 'es cuba'
Yes, the animation staff is down to the bare minimum (it's the slow season) but there is entertainment every night! Yes, it does become boring, so don't go every night! Regala and the animation crew are the best. I challenge anyone to speak English, French and Spanish as fluently and at 'machine gun' speed as Regala! Thanks sweety!
I always stay on the 'superior side' and my room is kept spotless with clean towels, bottled water and towel art every day. Thanks Elsa!
All in all, I have decided that some people should just not travel! No, it's not like home! It's Cuba! It's warm (downright hot, sometimes), the beach is long and lovely, the city of Trinidad is magnificent, the Hotel Ancon building is 3 star but the staff and people of Trinidad that I have come to call Amigos are 5 star plus. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: the superior side is my preference (3 storey walk-up) ends of sections have a open corner balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
10 Thank dellisAb
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

You can't beat the location. A beautiful safe beach, and only a 12-minute cab ride from Trinidad. We stayed there in July and more than half the hotel was closed for the low-season. The restaurant staff were unfriendly (actually they looked unhappy) until tipped, then they were putting flowers on our table. The food is fairly awful (but breakfast is okay). The nightly show, although repetitive for us, was a big hit with our kids. Nice, large, and clean swimming pool, very good hot snacks available throughout the day, and the bar staff knew how to make mojitos. Not all bad! It was better than "average", but it wasn't "very good." I would imagine that it is a different experience during the high season, but I'd be tempted to book Club Breezes next door, next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank James M
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Ancon last September my wife is visually impaired so we were in a handicap room on the first floor it was out of season and half the hotel was closed very quiet time the pool was down for repairs. but we had all of the carrib ocean lets face it that's why you go to Cuba. the room was yards from the water and steps from the 24/7 bar. the food was good remember your in Cuba it is what it is the staff was great friendly always smiling the main hotel lobby and this great coffee bar Jose the barista was great it got to the point Jose i walked up to the coffee bar and he had my coffee there don't know what he put in it but it was good. i do advise if you do go to this hotel take walking shoes. we went into Trinidad on a tour i don't know if i would go that route again i think i would opt for a taxi then just walk around Trinidad is a very special place like in most Cuban cities there's music all around. its also the oldest city in the modern world in 20/14 or 15 they will be celebrating there 500th year on earth so if ya want a party please go. now back to the hotel a ten minute drive off the property there's is a little café that served the best lobster dinner for two dinners it was twelve Pecos. it was pretty and romantic i believe most of Cuba is romantic.

personal note the first time we went to Cuba i was un sure if i was gonna like it but we've been back so many times. so if your gonna go to Cuba on your very first time don't listen to a lot of negativity about the island go with a open mind and a great big Canadian smile they will love ya
as my wife is visually impaired she is treated with honor and respect and they treat her seeing eye dog with friendliness so enjoy

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jack B
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Excellent location,average food, good value for money. We stay at this hotel from 19/7/13 until 26/7/13.We had an ocean view room and it was very nice. The night show of the hotel is very poor but Trinidad is very close so you better not stay at the hotel for the show!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CHRathens
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My friend and I were here last year and we came back again this year. The food was fantastic this year! There was a very large variety and we were really surprised to have this much choice compared to last year. Staff were friendly, resort was clean, room was just as comfortable. We had an oceanview room with a nice balcony, everything went very well. I will definitely come back here again next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ElsaLaCubana
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Just spent a week at the Ancon Hotel. I stayed on the new side, room and balcony facing the beach, a great view. There is the buffet restaurant and then the smaller restaurant that you order off the menu, I had most of my dinners there.
Shows at night give you some fun, and of course the rum and other drinks flow freely. Be sure to talk to Hector at the patio/beach bar, he makes a great drink.
Take the catamaran ride to Cayo Blanco for the day from the Marina behind hotel. Also be sure to snorkel on the reef and go for a Hobie Cat ride. If you dive the dive masters, Leo and Igor are super fun to dive with.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the new side facing the beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank marynaturelover
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
Sol Hotel
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort
Hostal Los Hermanos
Hostal Los Hermanos
#90 of 211 in Trinidad

Been to Hotel Ancon? Share your experiences!