“As my Family Grows in Cuba!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Rocaverde

Hostal Rocaverde
Ranked #58 of 346 Trinidad B&B and Inns
Mallorytown
“As my Family Grows in Cuba!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Trinidad was recommended to me by Mandy Machado Vega Owner of Villa Sonada in Matanzas, after a phone call to Maria Elena - arrangements were made for the next day. I had to take a taxi from Matanzas to Varadadero and from there I took a bus. The ride was a bit long but very comfortable. I was warned by Mandy that there will be many vendors trying to persuade me to stay at their place - and just to watch for a sign with my name. Once I found it I was guided to a Bicycle Taxi and we were on the way to the Casa. Upon arrival I instantly felt that I was a part of the family. My room was more than I expected and my dinner was ready in less than 10 minutes. After dinner Maria Elena showed me various options what I can do during my stay. As I like to explore new things all the time - I went out after supper for a walk downtown. It was not long before I met a few locals and planed my activities. During the next couple of days I enjoyed the beach, explored shops and markets. Visited a Local Night Club (did not see any tourists at all) with a great 6 piece band - and enjoyed a day party in one of the clubs (again locals only) where draft beer was 25 cents a glass. My whole experience in Trinidad was better than excellent. As a co-owner of a resort in 1000 Islands I respect the effort Maria and her uncle put into making sure that my needs were looked after. It seems that small business operators in Cuba do not have the word No in their vocabulary. I had to meet a friend in Havana after my visit but in the future I will spend time in Matanzas take the train to Havana and than visit Trinidad as a last stop since than a bus will connect to Varadaro. As a token of appreciation to the hard working people who made my every stay priceless, I am working on a site absolutecuba.com - where I will post suggested venue for those who like to explore this wonderful country on their own.

Room Tip: Hostal Rocaverde is a wonderful place all around - most gracious hosts anyone can meet!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Beautiful Place! excellent sized room with a private bathroom, including a nice cold/hot shower. The owners were very welcoming and friendly. You feel very at home. Although the hostal is right in the centre of Trinidad, it is very quiet and nice, rooms are extremely clean. The breakfast was huge and very well made, including fresh fruit, coffee, eggs and sandwiches. Location is good, just 5 min walk to the center. This was a great experience and I would highly recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed here for the three nights we were in Trinidad and found it warm and welcoming all round. Maria Elena who runs the Casa speaks good English and was very helpful providing us with information, a map, booking taxis and doing laundry. The room was clean and comfortable with both air conditioning and a fan and the first Casa I had stayed in which provided a hairdryer. The small courtyard outside where we ate breakfast every morning and dinner on two occasions, was a tranquil delight. The food was very good and nothing was too much trouble when I expressed a preference for certain fruit at breakfast of a lighter dinner. Maria Elena's uncle was on hand to help out a lot and though he doesn't speak English, we were able to communicate with help of the few words in the guide book.

The location of the Casa was excellent, only a ten minute walk up the road to Cathedral and the Casa de Musica steps.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Hostal Rocaverde is the best casa particular we have ever stayed, on all respects. It is the ideal home away from home, near beautiful Caribbean beaches.
Hostal Rocaverde house is welcoming, safe, quiet , immaculately clean, and the owners are really lovely people, they treated us like VIP guest, they are an incredible family. The food was fantastic, too. We think fondly of the family and we are planning go back as soon as we can, If you're ever in Cuba, you have to stay here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is the best place we've ever stayed, on all aspects. It is the perfect home away from home, near gorgeous Caribbean beaches. The house is welcoming, quiet, safe, impeccably clean, and the hosts are some of the loveliest people we've ever met - an honest, good-hearted, helpful family. The food was fantastic, too. We plan on going back as soon as we can, and often think fondly of the family. If you're ever in Cuba, you have to stay here!

Room Tip: Both rooms are comfortable, clean and safe.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Me and my friends have stayed in Marias place for two nights.She has nice house( for cuba big one) . Room was nice painted with new and clean bathroom. She is also making perfect breakfast . The lokation is also big advantage of this house, really near plaza Mayor. Guys, I m recommending to all of you . Lucia

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lucia b
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hostal is fantastic! The family is wonderful and very helpful. The rooms are very nice and clean. The hostal has a lovely patio where you can enjoy a nice breakfast or an amazing home cooked dinner. We strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinidad
Hotel Los Helechos
Melia Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,780 reviews

Been to Hostal Rocaverde? Share your experiences!