“A great stop for tasting wonderful reds!”
Review of Te Whau Vineyard Restaurant - CLOSED

Te Whau Vineyard Restaurant
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Yerevan, Armenia
“A great stop for tasting wonderful reds!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

If you're able to get a lunch booking, Te Whau Vineyard Cafe will deliver amazing and creative cuisine in a simple and unpretentious environment ... But if, like me, you stop by on the spur of the moment without a booking, no worries - sitting at the tasting bar with a half-dozen oysters and a flight of Te Whau's fabulous 'The Point' vintages is a great way to spend an hour.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Laura B

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Good food, excellent view , quite expensive”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch whilst on a day trip to Waiheke Island, as it came recommended. I wouldn't describe this place as a cafe by any stretch - it is a winery restaurant, serving restaurant food at restaurant prices.

The service was OK - could have been better, the food was good, albeit on the expensive side.

The views from the restaurant were fabulous.

Visited December 2013
“Amazing views, exceptionally poor service”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We visited Te Whau winery as part if our wine tour today. Although the setting is spectacular I wouldn't recommend including it on your wine tour trip. The tasting was held at the bar (very small space) of a full restaurant. Not everyone could hear - the restaurant was very noisy, I'm sure the people eating there were not impressed and the manager was extremely rude, telling us to hurry up nd finish our wine and get out because he had another tour coming. He also accused us of not paying for our coffee (which was lovely) before we had even left the building. I'm sure without that particular staff member our experience would have been much better, however it often oy takes one person to spoil it for everyone.. Would not be going back there for that reason .

• Visited December 2013
4 Thank Jsfreeman
ZiffleNewZealand, Owner at Te Whau Vineyard Restaurant, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit. There is, however another side to your story. Your group was booked through the ferry company as a group of 25 ( we have subsequently confirmed this). You turned up with 36 people without warning, and, as a direct consequence, yes it was a little crowded in our small bar area. Yes, it was a full restaurant, but your group was originally scheduled for later in the day, when it would have been quieter, but was bought forward at your request. Your group comprised mostly young adults who were off to a wedding and were more interested in conversing and catching up with each other, rather than listening to my talk about the wine, behaviour that was, I felt, less than polite, and which made the major contribution to the noise level of which you complain. Half way through, coffees were ordered. Not part of the deal, but we obliged. With regard to paying for the coffee, I made no such "accusation", but politely asked if you had paid for yours after you exited the building and were on the path back to the bus, as I observed you consume but not pay. You said "No, but my son is going to" It was difficult for me to know in advance that this was the case, as I am not clairvoyant, and we get tired of "runners" who consume and don't pay. None of the staff who were present at the time can recollect your group being told to "hurry-up".
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“The amazing views were free”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Waiheke is a beautiful island, some 35 minutes from Auckland by ferry.High on a hill you´ll find Te Whau. Apart from the spectacular views there, you can also give your tastebuds there a good time. I lunched there with fresh TeNatuku Oysters from the island, which were excellent although the Felton Rd 13 Dry Riesling could have been drier in combination with them. However the leg of duck there after was fantastic nicely cooked and well done. And meanwhile dolphines were playing down in the bay. Could one resist a meal like that? The staff was nicer, young and beautiful. Lunch for two cost 168,50 NZD. But the view was free.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Christiaan v
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We were told that this is a really expensive restaurant, but I didn't find it to be a lot more expensive with EVERYWHERE in NZ. I think most of that is due to the type of food they serve, which would be similar to a nice restaurant in the US. Quiche, scallops, fancy vegetarian dishes, etc. The prices were reasonable for what was provided, I thought. The restaurant is surrounded by glass for a 360 degree spectacular view from the hilltop on which it sits.

Visited November 2013