“Views, wine and a good meal”
Review of Te Whau Vineyard Restaurant - CLOSED

Te Whau Vineyard Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had rented e-bikes to explore the island and arrived by coincedence at this place. On a beautiful locartion, with 270 degrees views, friendly people, a large selection of wines and good, well prepared food. Some dishes, like the salmon were perfect. The sea food cookies were fine, a bit too spicy, while the fish of the day could have done better with a little more spice. but overall, very good, well presented. Not cheap, I must agree, but the location - in summer - 5 stars.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Had an amazing time at Te Whau Vineyard Cafe last night. We arrived early and were seated on the balcony where we could soak up the last rays of sun and spectacular views.
The wine was lovely and the food was stunning. We finished with chocolate torte and a large cheese plate, yummy!
Tony and the staff were all fantastic, it was a really great evening. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I recently dined at Te Whau with some friends who were visiting from Montreal, Canada. It was a beautiful evening and we were greeted by the maitre'd who seated us on the terrace overlooking the bay. We were provided with sunscreen as well as sun hats before ordering a bottle of Astrolab pinot gris on the recommendation of our server which was outstanding. Unfortunately the scallop starters were not as inspiring although the goats cheese and the kingfish tataki were very good. Another excellent bottle of the Te Whau 2008 was recommended to us however once again the food course was far below expectations. I ordered the fillet of beef which texture wise was closer to a sirloin...tough and chewy! Someone else went for the John Dory which was delicious but accompanied by a crime against risotto that was bland and unseasoned. The twice cook duck was very good as was the cheese course which for me was the highlight of the meal. Unfortunately we didn't have time for the dessert course which may have prevented us from leaving with a bad taste in our mouth although to be fair we had had a pleasant enough evening. The setting and the service was absolutely exceptional however a restaurant that prices itself at the top end of the market needs to deliver on far more than 50 percent of it's food. I spoke with the owner on the phone the following day to give him this feedback however I was assured the scallops were fantastic and that they were not experiencing any other difficulties relating to supply/staff or the like that could have resulted in our unsatisfactory dining experience.

ZiffleNewZealand, Owner at Te Whau Vineyard Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Thank you for your review. What puzzles me most is the fact that your table was checked on a number of occasions during the evening, as is our policy with every table, to gauge your happiness or otherwise with your meals, and not one single word of concern whatsoever was raised. On the contrary, everyone around the table expressed total satisfaction with what was on their plates. If there was a problem with you food, common decency would suggest that you raise the issue when asked, and at least give the restaurant the opportunity to put the problem right on the night. When you rang the next day you agreed that food checks had been made, and that no issues were mentioned at the time. The Scallop dish is our most popular entrée dish - "tasty" and "generous" are the two most repeated comments we get. I am sorry that they were not to your liking. Had you mentioned this at the time of asking we would have happily replaced the dish with something else. A gentleman on an adjacent table that evening had the fillet steak from the same beast as yours, and pronounced it as one of the best pieces of steak he had ever eaten. You recall that you were most particular as to how yours must be cooked - even to the extent of going your going into the kitchen and instructing the chefs. Perhaps in the circumstances we should have let you cook it yourself.
It also puzzles me that total satisfaction was expressed in your group's evening at Te Whau when the table was paid off - yes, I always ask - to the extent that a very generous tip was included on top of the bill. I have the receipt in front of me as I type. Why tip with such generosity for your "very disappointing" evening. I'm all for reasonable and substantive feedback, but yours, both the above and on the telephone yesterday is rather confusing, and somewhat odd.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Amazing food, fantastic wine, breath taking view. Wonderful experience of our trip to Waiheke island.

1  Thank Slavomira
Reviewed January 9, 2013

On a recent trip to Waiheke my mother and I decided to do some wine tasting of the local region and had heard and read good things about Te Whau.
Upon arrival to Te Whau we went to the area (bar) that we assumed was for tasting. Their sign at the front of the vineyard indicated that tasting was available on this day. My mother and I waited for 5-10 minutes before anyone even acknowledged our presence. We then asked a girl if we could do a tasting, who then proceeded to ask who we assumed to be the owner if we could do a tasting. We felt like an inconvenience as the converstaion between the two seemed to make other things a priority. We were then poored three glasses each of their red wines and told "This is the vintage, the 08 and 09 (i think that was the years - it was so rushed I didn't even have time to clarify). This gentleman then walked away. We were not told anything about the wines and given what we thought would be a proper tasting. My mother then asked if we could have lunch. We could see that it was busy - however we were quite content to have a bottle of wine and wait for a table. The response my mother got was very rude "as you can see we are very busy - you will have to wait at least half an hour". My mother was happy to wait and indicated so. As time ticked away we could see that tables were becoming free, however we were not taken to a table, and it wasn't until my mother asked if we could be seated for lunch were we taken to a table.
Whilst the meal was enjoyable, the staff appeared very disjointed and we had numerous waitresses come to our table and many times we would have to say that our drink order was already taken, our meal order was taken.
Overall, it was a disappointing experience which began with us not feeling as though we were welcome to be there.

6  Thank Chelsea S