“Wonderful place and hosts”
Review of Te Whau Lodge

Te Whau Lodge
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Waiheke Island
Scottish Borders, United Kingdom
“Wonderful place and hosts”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights on a B&B basis and had a truley wonderful time. Liz and Gene (Eugene) are impeccable hosts and were excellent company during the evening when we sampled fine local wines and delicious canapés.
The location of and views from Te Whau are stunning. The place has a lovely relaxed feel and we only wished we had booked for a longer period. This is no doubt down to the planning and efforts of everyone at Te Whau.
If or when we come back to NZ we will certainly be staying a few nights at Te Whau.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Liz and Gene are fantastic hosts and their lodge offers an extraordinary view to the bay and towards Auckland. It is very easy to reach in a short ferry ride. We have spent three lovely days in this high class location. Gene is a fantastic cook with a repertoire that is enriched by his extensive travel experiences. Liz has supported us in a unique manner in giving us support in any question we had concerning the island as eg: art, restaurants, tours and more. It was a great pleasure to spend two evenings with Liz and Gene since they are simply great hosts. We enjoyed every minute in this fantastic location and would like to give it a high recommendation.

Room Tip: From our persepctive all rooms offer a great value since the comfort level as well as the view are u...
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed December 1, 2013

From the very first meeting, Liz and Gene focus on you 100% and pull out all the stops to make your stay a world class experience. The location is superb, with breathtaking views from every deck and room of the lodge. As my wife and I quickly discovered, Te Whau Lodge is also the perfect vantage point from which to explore the rest of the island. The intimate lodge style dinners are a genuine highlight with wonderful company from all corners of the globe, witty conversation, the finest conviviality and stunning gastronomy courtesy of Gene. My birthday was particularly memorable this year, thanks to Gene's generosity and five star hospitality, and the gentle ambience created by Liz. As consistent with all of our dealings with Liz and Gene, their extensive contacts and local knowledge likewise proved invaluable during our stay. As you would expect, the Concierge Service was first rate. My wife took care of the bill for my birthday describing our stay as "exceptional value for money". If you are looking for the best in "kiwi" epicurean indulgence, a sophisticated hospitality experience, the utmost in relaxation and civility on one of the most beautiful islands on the planet, go no further than Te Whau Lodge.

1 Thank stambo_nz
Cali
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Te Whau is a lovely intimate lodge with amazing views and then throw in SPECTACULAR meals and personalized hospitality from Gene and Liz and it's over the top. Te Whau Lodge is so easily close to Auckland city (quick ferry ride) but at the same time worlds away. The lodge is close walking distance to great beaches, hikes and great sources for olive oil, honey, alpaca and wine products. Our stay was way too short and we hope to visit again, sooner rather than later. It's a long ways from California but we can't wait!

Room Tip: They are all great!
2 Thank skipsterCali
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed October 18, 2013

What an amazing place! I was surprised with a fantastic weekend on Waiheke Island for my wedding anniversary, my darling husband had found Te Whau Lodge and organised with Liz and Gene an unforgettable trip. We arrived by helicopter at the doorstep to a fantastic welcome, the lodge is gorgeous with one of the most amazing views, our well appointed room overlooked the harbour and back to Auckland city. Each evening we had canapés on the deck, Gene is a master and produced some of the most delicious dishes. Our dinner on the first night was fantastic and the unbelievable breakfasts were designed to keep me coming back for more! Liz had assisted my husband in organising a great day out wine touring and a lovely massage at the lodge, I felt so spoilt! The whole weekend was fantastic and I absolutely cannot fault the experience at Te Whau Lodge, I would recommend the lodge to anyone, thank you Liz & Gene

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ogden, Utah, United States
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to planning anything for my family. I do tons of research to ensure that our trip is as perfect as it can be. So after doing my research and reading many reviews about the Te Whau (pronounced Te Phau for us silly Yanks) we booked our 3 day 2 night stay. We flew in at 5:45 Monday morning from LAX. Neither my husband nor I decided to get international calling so we were communicating with Liz (the owner) via email from any hot spot we could find. At the airport I emailed letting her know we were off the plane and on our way. We went to the I-cite which is New Zealand’s visitors center located in virtually every city and many of the airports and probably our best most valuable asset while in NZ. At the I-cite we purchased city bus fair and ferry tickets for our journey to Waiheke Island. We are both from big cities so the ideal of staying in Auckland wasn't that great. After seeing and reading about Waiheke we settled on this venue for our first few days in the North Island.
Once at the ferry terminal I used the pay phone to contact Liz and let her know which ferry we would be on so that she could arrange our pickup at the ferry terminal. Just as she said a very nice gentleman with my husband’s name on a sign was at the terminal ready to pick us up. The drive to Te Whau was beautiful; the driver gave us a bit of a lesson about the island and New Zealand as well which was great for first timers to the North. Upon our arrival Liz and Gene the lovely owners of this beautiful lodge greeted us with open arms. We had a brief discussion about our flight and what we had planned for our stay, and they completely understood our need relax for our first day.
We were shown our room which was known as the fish or blue room. It was amazing! The room had a private balcony with a beautiful view of the water and in the distance Auckland harbor. We were provided amenities such as bottled water, coffee and tea station, iPod docking station and reading nook. The bathroom was pleasant with a gorgeous vanity, towel warmer and window that gave a little view of the water. The layout of the lodge is perfect it is prevalent that much time and thought went into the design. The rooms are all off of the main area with open access from an outdoor walking path. A central hot tub is right next to the rooms for easy access. The main house has a large gathering area with a TV, fireplace and off that a separated dining room. After unpacking and showering we felt much better and left our room for the main house. We were greeted in the main house with tea and coffee as well as breakfast bites made especially for us by gene once we arrived. It was such a nice welcome following a 12 hour flight. Gene makes the most wonderful croissants that were accompanied by a frittata. Gene asked if we would like to have dinner at the lodge that evening for a fee of $60.00 pp. This is not an option on Tuesday or Wednesday nights, so we accepted.
That evening after a lovely hike (tramp as it is known to the locals) we cleaned up and headed to the living room for canapés and a glass of wine which was provided to us by Liz and Gene included in our accommodation fee. Liz chose a lovely wine from a local winery that due to the season wouldn’t be available for tastings while we were there; it was those extra little details and thoughtfulness that we very much loved about our stay. The dinner was far beyond our expectations. I had read about what a wonderful Chef Gene was… but this was ABOVE! Gene discussed the meal with us, a braised lamb rump with Israeli couscous finished with a mint sauce and veggies from the garden. The meat was cooked to perfection and the couscous is my new obsession. Water, and pop is available free of charge but wine, beer and alcohol can be purchased. We bought a bottle of wine with dinner, another lovely selection by Gene and Liz.
The following morning Gene had a beautiful breakfast made up for us. I was expecting something simple, but boy does that wonderful man go all out! He made fresh croissants, muesli with fresh fruit, a poached egg on top of bacon and freshly made Leek brioche.
Following breakfast Liz set us up with Fun time car rentals where we rented a car for the day to drive about the island and do some wine tastings. Liz got us a map and circled all the island wineries that were open and available for tastings and then recommended a location that we could have dinner at. Before leaving we settled on a time for canapés and we were off.
After a long day of wine tastings, we got back to the lodge in time for wine and canapés. Gene again went all out on lovely canapés. He made a gruyere puff that was amazing, a delicious olive tapenade paired with a fantastic red from another winery that we wouldn’t be able to taste at. We had grabbed a small bite at StoneyRidge winery so when Gene made his generous portions of canapés we were quite full and decided to stay in instead of going to dinner. We sat with Gene and Liz and talked all about our trips and travels planned and learned so much about them and their business. It was a perfect night before we left Waiheke the following day. Before we went to bed Gene and Liz helped us settle on a time for breakfast that would give us ample amount of time to get to the ferry and then to the airport for our flight to Rotorua.
The next morning Gene made another fantastic breakfast for us. That time for breakfast we had fresh croissants, muesli with chutney (can’t remember the flavor) and a smoked salmon egg scramble. I had seen other reviewers who had mention the scramble and I was keeping my fingers crossed that we would get it. All the reviews were spot on. The smoked salmon and eggs were cooked perfectly and I stuffed myself to the brim because it was so good.
QUICK NOTES: This place is awesome! We were the only ones staying at the time and we felt like we were worth a million bucks when we stayed here. The TV and free internet is available in the living room area only and not within the rooms itself, which I quite enjoyed. I like the ideal of having contact with others instead of being held up in your room not taking in all the experiences because that is where the internet is. The TV and IPod within the living room were completely available to us, but why waste a beautiful view on TV when you can sit in the reading nook and relax. The food and hospitality were second to none. Although I understand a stay at Te Whau isn’t the cheapest on the island by far, it will be well worth it in the end. You can look back on your holiday and have such special memories that will last you a life time. I hope we can go back again and stay at Te Whau and on Waiheke for longer, if anything else Liz and Gene are more than welcome to visit us here in Utah! Who knows maybe we can connect up one of these years for the French holiday they put together.

Room Tip: We were given the Blue room also known as the Fish room. It is right next door to the hot tub which...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tiana Y
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family & I had a most wonderful time at Te Whau Lodge for 5 nights just after Christmas 2012. We had 3 well appointed rooms all overlooking spectacular scenery with views across the water over to Auckland. We spent New Years Eve at the Lodge with great company & a spectacular meal cooked by Gene was enjoyed by all, we all stayed up past midnight & watched the fireworks at Auckland. The rooms are very comfortable cosy & kept immaculate, with a small balcony to sit & enjoy the quietness & take in the beautiful views. Gene & Liz are the perfect hosts, so very friendly & ready to assist in any way they can, we did alot of activities during our stay & Liz helped me organise the whole experience, she was fantastic as was all of our adventures. Gene's cooking was truely gorgeous, always presented beautifully & matched with a lovely NZ wine. A big thank you to Gene & Liz who made our holiday very special, so helpful but unobtrusive to our needs. Waiheke Island is a great spot as it is not far from Auckland & Te Whau Lodge is just a special place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family