“The Boatshed - a little piece of paradise on Waiheke Island”
Review of The Boatshed

The Boatshed
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Waiheke Island
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from 4 wonderful days on Waiheke Island staying at the Boatshed. What an amazing place to stay! The decor is tasteful, Johnathon the host is warm and welcoming without being intrusive and the breakfast and dinners were up there with the best we have eaten all around the world.
Johnathon packed a picnic lunch for us one day which we ate at a glorious little bay in the middle of our walk around the peninsular. He had thought of everything right down to the home made biscuits tied up with string. It was a feast.
I rarely review places I have stayed as I am very conscious of praising a place others might not enjoy as much as I have but I have no hesitation in recommending the Boatshed. It surpassed all of my expectations - I had bookmarked a review I read in a magazine over two years ago - and I am happy to share my experience with anyone who might be anticipating vising Waiheke Island. The greatest compliment I can give is that our four days felt like four weeks, we were so completely relaxed and happy when the time came to leave. We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank suze208

Reviewed March 10, 2013

If, like us, you fly into Auckland Waiheke Island is a 30 minute ferry ride away and is a much better start to your holiday than Auckland. The Boat Shed is one of the most creatively and intelligently designed properties I have ever visited. It is how I imagine the very best of East Coast America to be. We had a bungalow in their superb gardens and it was sensational. The GM, Vessella, is superb and all the staff are incredibly friendly. The chief is amazing and we actually had two of our best meals in NZ here. You dine on the terrace overlooking the stunning coast. The dinner is set but so what, when it is this good. You can rent a mini-moke from the Boatshed and a half day drive around the island is well worth it, stunning coastal scenery. If you are happy to laze on beaches and just chill you could easily spend a week here. The selection of coffee table books would occupy anyone. If, like us, your time is limited then two nights makes a perfect start to your holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in a bungalow in the grounds which was simply superb but there were some stunning rooms in...
3  Thank TobyYorkshire
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My sister and I have just shared four blissful days at the Boatshed - it was our first time in Little Oneroa and at the Boatshed.

Jonathan is a consummate host and GM - his easy style and manner helps guests immediately relax; the staff and particularly the chef were at all times so helpful. The service is outstanding. The hotel's open areas are chic and elegantly outfitted with interesting objets - beachy and nautical.

Our room - one of the boatsheds - was meticulously outfitted with everything that a guest could want and need. There were yummy biscuits - the jar topped up twice daily, Antipodes water - both sparkling and still - provided in the room, aromatic coffee and teas plus a jar of juicy jelly beans. The room was cleaned to an excellent standard each day and the turn down service with change of towels, if needed, was really appreciated. I really loved the Cafe del Mar music in our room. All meals were outstanding. Standouts in my mind were the lovely stewed fruits served with breakfast, salad lunches of which herbs, leaves and tomatoes were freshly picked from the extensive vegetable garden. The light dinner served on first night and the 5 course meal enjoyed on the final night were also highlights.

The Little Oneroa beach itself is absolutely beautiful - very shallow, calm and the water not too salty. One felt fresh and clean when one came out of the water rather than feeling the need to shower off the salt immediately - the beach bag, towels, hats and sunscreen were really appreciated. I purchased a boater hat and rather than having to carry it home with me, the Boatshed offers to send the goods to your home or postal address free of charge - now this is service!

The walks are beautiful too and views spectacular.

All in all, the Boatshed experience was sublime. It provided terrific value for money and I can't wait to return again.

Room Tip: The Boatshed rooms are long but have ample room for stylish and comfortable lounge furniture and a d...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Candy W
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Marooned!

Rather, we have voluntarily walked the plank. The Auckland to Coromandel ferry has broken down and Mrs Jones has been convinced to jump ship, for a night on Waiheke Island in Auckland’s Hauraki Gulf. After a couple of hasty phone calls Jonathan, our host at The Boatshed, arranges transport and we travel the length of the island to this distinctly upmarket version of the classic Kiwi bach. No outside toilets or kerosene lanterns here, this is pure Kiwiana at its luxurious best.

The next 36 hours is a pleasant haze of winery lunches, warm sun and sea views. For those more actively inclined, maps of local walks are provided or the house’s Mini Moke is available for exploration further afield. We choose to sit, snooze and avail ourselves of the selection of local wines. As the sun sets dinner on the balcony brings smoked mushroom pate, New Zealand lamb, and organic vegetables from the veggie patch out back; we retire, replete, to our own private boatshed.

Mrs Jones is ready to mutiny when checkout time comes around, but after farewells, a late afternoon drive finds us once again at the bottom end of the island. The ferry awaits, and two very relaxed castaways are soon back at sea.

We liked
A candlelit dinner for two watching the evening light play across Little Oneroa Bay. Bookings for house guests only!

We disliked
The advertised rates seemed expensive compared to previous accommodation in New Zealand. Wrong. Sell your house and move here!

H.J.

Ph +64 9 372 3242

www.boatshed.co.nz

4  Thank HieronymusJones
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We spent two lovely nights here, a great place to get over jet lag. The Lighthouse had everything one could want, was very comfortable, and had extras such as a Nespresso machine and jars of biscuits and sweets. It is in a lovely position overlooking a small beach, very quiet at night and not far to walk into town.
The one dinner we had there was excellent, however we were not aware what we would be eating until we sat down.I had spoken to a staff member during the day to say I would prefer not to have fish, I felt that this was perhaps not received well. Whilst we fully understand that the menu depends on vegetables in season, and what is available at markets on the day, we are perhaps in the minority ,we would have preferred to know a little about our $110pp four course meal beforehand.
Thanks to Qantas ,we had a 10 hour delay, and missed our first night in the Boatshed. While we fully understand that the management had no chance of re letting the room, we arrived there one hour after our included breakfast was finished, might it not have been a nice gesture to give us lunch instead? We would really have appreciated not being charged for it, as we have to bear the full cost of our lost night.
All in all ,a lovely place with stunning views and very willing and helpful staff.

Room Tip: The Lighthouse was fantastic, but I am sure all the rooms are lovely.
4  Thank llewellynroger
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Boatshed 3 nights and it was pure bliss. The service is excellent without being overbearing, the breakfast spread with the different poached fruit every morning is amazing and I can't say enough about how completely relaxing and serene the place is..the sound of the the wind blowing thru the long grass, the freshness of the air and the fantastic view of Little Oneroa Bay below. I especially loved how they pay attention to every detail with special touches of flowers and "marine props" all over the property.
You are definitely splashing out to stay at The Boatshed but we would not hesitate to do it again. Unfortunately, we were there for a wedding so spent all nights with family but next time, we will be making time to have dinner there because if breakfast is any indication, I'm sure it will be fantastic!

1  Thank sue_nate
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The perfect place for a wind down holiday, be pampered and feel at home as soon as you cross the threshold.

The accommodation is faultless and unique.

Food is made to order in an "open kitchen" area and to suit your specific taste buds.

Staff are very friendly and will collect you at the Ferry when you arrive.

Situated at the top of a hill overlooking a beautiful sandy beach. The beach is just a short walk down a lovely pathway.

Forget the 5 Star Hotels in Auckland and go that little bit further for real 5 Star treatment!

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views so don't worry about being in a back room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 66 in Auckland Central
Delamore Lodge
Delamore Lodge
#2 of 29 in Waiheke Island

Been to The Boatshed? Share your experiences!