“Romance on Waiheke....”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Waiheke Island
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Romance on Waiheke....”
Reviewed January 28, 2008

What can I say other than a totally decadent weekend! This place screams romance! Whilst we had perfect weather, giving perfect outlook to sea, and a 1 minute walk down to the calm ocean for a swim, I can imagine even on a cold rainy day it would be a perfect spot, instead choosing to spend your time snuggled up in front of the fire flicking through the many books and magazines/listening to the CD's they provide, or watching a DVD enjoying a lovely glass of waiheke red wine!

We stayed in the Bridge suite, which I felt was probably a more private option, with fabulous views (as do all the other rooms!) The Lighthouse is quite spectacular...and maybe next time!

The food is fresh and innovative, Rupert the dog brings a homely feel to the place and quite honestly I can not imagine a better place to spend a weekend on Waiheke.

Try it for yourself...you will not be disapointed...I have stayed at some wonderful places ...but this is right up there.

Stayed January 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Sydney
Reviewed November 25, 2007

My husband and I had been engaged for a few years and wanted to elope to a luxury hotel that was memorable and unique. We had booked a trip to Auckland to see the Rugby Union and found out about The Boatshed. The decision was made to stay there and marry overlooking the beach directly in front of The Boatshed.
From the very first contact with Jonathan Scott he went out of his way to insure our marriage and honeymoon went smoothly. Jonathan organized Anna (hotel staff member) and Rupert (the hotel dog) to be witness at our wedding ceremony. The Boatshed Suite was wonderful truly unique with such amazing views from the deck. The bathroom was roomy and we donot need a bathtub when such a beautiful beach is just across the road.
The food and wine was delicious. Waiheke Island is such an idyllic place and the great ferry ride from Auckland is only 40 minutes.

• Liked — The Waiheke Island , decoration of the hotel, service
  • Disliked — Not having 24 hour room service or cable sport channels
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
in the UK
Reviewed May 16, 2007

This is a wonderful and stunning hotel family run boutique hotel - we arrived on the 9am ferry from Auckland and were met by a taxi and taken to the Boatshed at their expense. At the hotel the charming Urusla offered us coffee and breakfast whilst our room was prepared. We had only a short 20 minute wait whilst we soaked up the general atmosphere - guests were finishing their breakfast whilst reading the paper and soaking up the simply stunning views. There are no airs and graces here just laid back elegance. Rupert the dog just adds to the experience.

Our room 'The Bridge' was lovely - blue, white and stone hews complemented one another to create a perfect hideaway. The Bridge has stunning views from windows that open fully to allow you to really appreciate it. You just wouldn't tire of it.

We were offered advice on where to go and how best to get there. The option of staying at the hotel is a strong pull as the common areas are as beautifully decorated as the rooms - there is great attention to detail and you really feel like you've been transported into the pages of a Ralph Lauren paint catalogue (in the best way).

For dinner you can mingle with the other guests over a pre-dinner drink and canapes - dressed up or down as you please! The tables are set out individually in different areas - allowing for privacy and romance (this really isn't the place to come to watch TV!).

The dinner itself was a triumph prepared by chef and owner Jonathan. He had taken into account an allergy to cream and dis-like of shellfish and prepared a fresh an innovative menu. A true delight and excellent value at $90 per person for four courses of heaven.

The breakfast is a gourmet treat and although there are some items set out in a loose buffet style - these are gourmet items not the drying cheese and limp ham you would normally get. Jonathan (yes he's up and preparing breakfast aswell) cooked up a feast of bacon, eggs as you like them with field mushrooms and tomatoes. (Other treats such as homemade pancakes and the like were also available)

On the second night we were the only guests and still nothing was spared - the flowers were beautiful the candles were lit everywhere and we were treated like princesses - another feast from Jonathan and the best lamb we've had!

You don't get a bath but the lovely products and huge wet room shower more than make up for that.

The Boatshed is a rare treat and well worth the money - once you've had Jonathan's food you won't want to eat anywhere else!

As Jonathan drove us back to ferry we passed Rupert having coffee with his lady 'dog walking' friends in town - the real dog about town and what a ladies man!

• Liked — Setting, Ambience, Food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovelyladies
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed May 12, 2007

I feel compelled to write a review of what we had been lead to believe was a luxury boutique hotel.

It seems odd that the architect of the establishment was also the sour faced septogenarian waiter & general host. It is with the architect/waiter/host & Manuel of Barcalona impersonator that the responsibilty for the omission of a bath should be placed I suspect. I've never been to a hotel that did not have a bath, much less a luxury boutique one that was missing this essential piece of equipment. It may be that the concept of a boatshed meant this had to be left out but I don't think international travellers will be too impressed that they have to go without one. We weren't.

Anyway, that seemingly glaring omission aside there was a definate lack of attention to detail. Blown lightbulbs, missing slippers & a genrally naf collection of music a on a rubbish wee tv/entertainment system from 1992! The was nothing luxurious about those. The incorrect information on the room guide about how breakfast was served really irked as well. When I asked about having breakfast served in our room I was told quite abruptly that they did not do that anymore! That's right folks, no breakfast in your room at this luxury boutique hotel just a buffet like your regular B&B!! I also enquired as to whether I would be able to watch the Super 14 rugby semi finals that were being played in the wee small hours & I was assured that I would be able to on channel 5 but I got up to watch & they'd basically blatantly lied about that one which was infuriating.

The septogenarian couldn't have been less suited to his job. I understand he is the owners Dad & provides the perfect example of why you should avoid employing friends & family when running your business. We had to ask him about all kinds of things & his responses were not rude but he wasn't overflowing with enthusiasm or important other information such as the dining arrangements for both dinner & breakfast.

Overall, a lovely venue & good concept but the execution was just poor. This is not a luxury hotel at all, just an extremely expensive one in need of a shake up. We've recently heard from another couple who also found it an obscenely expensive experience for what they received.

• Liked — Unique concept & setting
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank johnnylane99
Reviewed January 2, 2007

Staying at the Boatshed was like a dream, a really really good one, where you are a star in your own perfect, gorgeously decorated beachfront villa. With staff who are like old family friends looking after you. The views and ambience were divine, and the food sublime. The beach is beautiful and the rooms even have beach bags packed ready for you with towels, water and a radio. It’s homely and relaxing on a rainy day too, with games, books, a fantastic wine cellar and a wonderful masseuse on hand. Seriously I have no higher praise - well, well worth it - the highlight of our holiday.

• Liked — The food !
  • Disliked — Having to leave ;o(
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy !
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fffriend
auckland
Reviewed December 8, 2006

I had a wish list for my perfect escape and the boat shed met and indeed exceeded all my expectations.

I had two nights, midweek, in one of the boad sheds. The hosts, especially Jonanthan, were very welcoming and had the experience and grace to make me feel totally at ease, despite being the only guest. This meant that I could begin to relax and enjoy my stay straight away.

Fantastic coffee was available whenever I asked/needed. Breakfast was served under the canvas in the outdoor room with perfect views out to sea and freshly sourced local products. I ate my equaly amazing evening meals by the roaring fire, surrounded by candles, great music, my favourite wine and a book.

As the weather was windy and cold I spent the rest of my time sitting by the gas fire in my room, watching the DVDs that I never seem to get time to watch at home, or just resting and reading.

I was leaving as the weekend guests were arriving. I believe that they are usually fully booked over weekends and I would imagine that the experience of sharing the location with others would be different to my time alone, but the design means that you can feel very private if you want to, or be social easily too.

I live in Auckland, so it was only a taxi and ferry away from home - but it felt like another country, as the view is not back to the city lights but out to the ocean.

This is, without doubt, the best guest experience I have ever had. When you pay premium prices you hope for the best. At the Boat Shed you don't have to hope.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank nzdarl
Oxford, England
Reviewed October 19, 2006

If you are in Aukland you simply must go over to Waiheke Island and stay here. The suites are beautifully designed and have stunning views over the bay. The food is the best thing about this place though. Breakfast starts with a mixture of fresh fruits, breads and cereals. You will then be offered an extensive choice of cooked breakfast, with fresh eggs and smoked salmon or bacon. The evening meal is really worth staying in for. 5 courses of the best food we have ever eaten. The service is extremely attentive but without being obtrusive. While you enjoy your coffee after supper your suite is mysteriously transformed into a romantic hideaway (open fire lit, music playing, candles, etc).
It is clear that the owner, Jonathan, takes a great deal of care and pride in the place and in the food he cooks. He and the other staff members are friendly and professional.
We really can't recommend this place enough. If you like luxury without pretense and a quiet and relaxed environment then Waiheke and The Boatshed are a must.
Enjoy...

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in for supper
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank hbb83
#2 of 6 in Oneroa
Te Whau Lodge
Te Whau Lodge
#4 of 9 in Waiheke Island

Been to The Boatshed? Share your experiences!