“Sam knows best”
Review of Heartsong Retreat

Heartsong Retreat
Reviewed July 27, 2010

A retreat that inspires 'balance and beauty of inner stillness'. Well, that’s a big ask for a jaded couple on a break-out holiday from work and teenagers. Strangely, we discovered it through walking Sam, the owner’s dog, who led me down his favourite beach-front haunt on a drizzling Saturday morning. Staying in the Cottage, we had plenty of time for contemplation and indulgence (even if the sauna-like atmosphere created by the woodburner occasionally lulled us into a stupor). With a Zen-like assurance, the owners provided the ‘beauty’ with leisurely breakfasts, inspiring travel tales and a truly welcoming spirit (we reckon it’s hard to fudge this sentiment). They even delivered fresh oysters to our door! To find the ‘balance’, we recommend a romp with Sam and then champagne in the boatshed.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 19, 2010

We stayed at this delightful location earlier this year. Our hosts, Trisha and Joe, could not have been more helpful and generous with their hospitality to ensure our stay was relaxing and memorable, and that we saw the best Waiheke had to offer.

They even gave us the free loan of their car so that we could get to a restaurant one evening!
On our return the candle was lit on our private veranda; just one example of the care and attention to detail extended to guests.

If you are looking for something really special and of the highest standard, with a romantic setting, then look no further than Heartsong Retreat. You will be delighted; indeed you will not want to leave. We arrived as guests and left as friends.

Elaine and Harry, UK

Reviewed May 25, 2010

The Cabana was a secluded, romantic paradise. The Boatshed was our home away from home - simple and rustic, which provided a wonderful retreat for wine by candlelight beside the bay. The spa pool was a luxurious, inviting space amongst the palms. The breakfasts were simply decadent. All this brought together by the superb hosts, Trish & Robin, who were outstanding - so friendly and welcoming. Needless to say, we'll be back on our regular visits to NZ from the USA.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2010

My wife and I traveled to New Zealand in March. What a place! We spent 3 nights on Waiheke Island and 2 of them at Heartsong. Trisha and Robin are two of the most excellent people we have met traveling and I highly recommend their B&B. It can be hard to feel at home somewhere else, but we found it quite easy at Heartsong. The breakfast is off the charts good and the property is beautiful. The rooms were great (we stayed in the Cabana) and the place just has a great karma about it. We come from Houston, TX and are used to friendly people. I was happy to find the people of New Zealand was the same way. I religiously use Trip Advisor and this is the first time I have ever posted. Trisha asked why we chose their place and I told her the reviews were really good. I also promised her I would post my first review ever for Heartsong. I'm a little late but wanted to keep my promise! For a beautiful place, kind people, great breakfast, engaging conversation and an overall wonderful time, try Heartsong.

Wes D. Houston, TX USA

Reviewed May 3, 2010

My husband and I needed a relaxing break and Heartsong provided this and more. Trish and Robin are consumate hosts and their retreat is an idyllic hideaway overlooking Rocky Bay. With kayaks and a row boat at our disposal and a spa pool, steps away from our room - we realised we had found a rather special place. We would love to go back next time we are in NZ.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Friendly and extremely hospitable hosts, superb quality, attention to detail outstanding. Highly recommended, definiely the best of its type I have tried in New Zealand and we use this type of accomadation quite alot.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Even though we are Waiheke locals who own a holiday villa on the island we decided to stay at Heartsong for a bit of serenity on the night of our wedding - the best decision we've ever made! I also stayed at the retreat with my sister the night before and used the place to get ready. Trisha, Robin, Sam and Milo all went out of their way to make us feel like the place was ours. And the breakfast - wow! I would love to come back to visit for a week to enjoy the surroundings of the property or even just to have a cup of tea with Trisha and Robin who are such interesting and lovely people. We hope to see you again soon.