“"Lamb Supreme"”

Whanganui, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Lamb Supreme"”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Try the Lamb..an extremely generous serving. Served with copious amounts of either salad or fresh veges. The price will NOT blow you away but invite you back for seconds..

Visited March 2014
1 Thank John P

Yorkshire
“really good restaurant with as lovely view”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We are not staying at the Beachcomber Inn but the restaurant, Whalers, was recommended to us by a Picton local. We requested, and were given, a view of the harbour. The restaurant is on the 3rd floor and it really is a great view. There were four of us dining and we had varied choices, fish, steak, seafood chowder. The food was good, the service was with a smile and drink prices very reasonable. We were only here for 4 nights but are considering eating there again. The decor is very 80s but don't let that put you off. Good food at good prices. No wonder the locals recommend eating there.

2 Thank GBtravellinggirl
kaikoura
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very lovely staff”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Came here for my 30th bday dinner last week. The meals were huge and very tasty! Had the mussels entree, which was good but the mussels were meant to be baked and they came out almost cold. Had the steak main, which was huge and cooked perfectly. The staff were very kind and helpful, you could tell they were trying to make everyone feel very welcome.
I must say that the christmas decorations were a little bit over the top, but otherwise it was nice :)

NZ
“Fabulous”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Fabulous food been each year the chef is great the view is to die for and the xmas decorations are fantastic

Visited January 2014
1 Thank NZWoody
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Good prices and good food”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Visited for the first time. Entrees have a twist - my partner had a shrimp cocktail (in NZ usually shrimps in sauce with lettuce in a glass bowl) the Whaler's version is heaps of shrimp, citrus and lychees. My scallops were in a leek creamy sauce and while I am a firm believer that scallops should be quickly cooked in a little butter and garlic I was very impressed. I got 8 large scallops for $15 in what could have been a meal on its own. My fish of the day was grouper and I received 3 good sized fillets for my $29. My partner had the porterhouse Angus steak which came with 6 small scallops and 6 good sized prawns. I is very rare to get a 'surf and turf' in NZ for less than $30 and then for the steak to be a thick slab of high quality meat is almost unheard of. The service by the new waitress was efficient and unobtrusive and the room well supervised by the manager who had spent 52 hours putting Xmas decorations on every available surface. She made sure that we had a table by the window so we could view the coming and goings in the bay and marina. We will go back again.

1 Thank Contention