“The best”
Review of Sequoia Lodge

Sequoia Lodge
Ranked #5 of 26 Specialty Lodging in Picton
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was looking forward to staying at this hostel before I arrived on the South Island. I had heard rumours and tales of a delicious hot chocolate pudding provided to guests at Sequoia Lodge. When I and my four friends arrived and eagerly asked about the pudding we were assured that pudding would be provided, and that they also have an outdoor spa that we should use. Thank freud that I did. They usually turn the spa off at 9 pm, however they allowed my friends and I to spend a great time longer in the tub, under the stars, drinking wine and smoking a cigar. The rooms are spacious and are painted a warm red colour (better than the murky-mustard walls of other hostels). The staff at the hostel provide guests with free hot waters and extra blankets to use during the night. Overall, the staff were fun and friendly and helped make our stay better than 5/5. A must stay.

Ps. The pudding is amazing.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Sequoia Lodge

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Friendly inviting atmosphere. Very helpful warmhearted staff on the reception desk. Great colour scheme in 2 person ensuite added a deeply satisfying feel to the room. Small heater controlled by occupants really warmed the room. Reading light above the bed was bright enough to read by! Free hot chocolate pudding with ice cream every night at 8.00 pm. Delicious! Convenient walk into town was just what we needed to unwind. Free pickup service available but we walked everywhere for relaxation. guests can do duties around the place in return for free stay. Will definitely stay there again. Strongly recommend Sequoia.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We have spent many nights in many hostels through the years and we were very impressed by this one. We had randomly booked this last minute and were very lucky to find the good night sleep we were looking for. The minute we arrived we were greeted warmly by a male staff who then offered us some dessert that was made earlier. We got the key to our room and felt relieved to find the heater was already warming the room up. The bed was very clean with plenty of blankets and pillows available. To finish the experience off we woke up to free breakfast and coffee in the morning. Free Wifi was a huge bonus as well for us booking some last minute trips.
Overall, job well done to excellent staff, clean upkeep, and offering reasonable amenities.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Arrived to the hostel early evening after a long drive from Christchurch - I was glad to be there for sure! Was warmly greeted by a lovely lady who helped me to my room and showed me around. It was a lovely homely feel, warm and cosy. The kitchen was a realyl good size - no bumping into each other when making dinner! Chocolate pudding was delicious! Breakfast was a little limited - bread had run out but as soon as I asked if there was any more, some was put out. Lots of lovely comforts here, hot water bottles etc. They allowed me to leave my car in the car park whilst I went for a walk even though I was checked out! Returned to everyone sat around a table with a cuppa and free biscuits.

The rooms were clean, tidy and warm. The heater had been put on prior to our arrival. The en-suite was clean and did the job very nicely. Got free internet which is always a nice bonus!

Only thing that made me feel a little uncomfortable was the no locks on the doors - but obviously each to their own as I know some people would probably like this!

Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We really liked this hostel. The staff was friendly and the location convenient. We stayed in the private rooms which were small but nice. The hottub was a nice way to relax after our 3 day adventure on the Queen Charlotte Track, the free chocolate and pudding a nice bonus, although a bit strange that it seems to be all finished in a minute (I got a warning from another guest to be there on time or otherwise I'd miss out).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Just to warn others about Sequoia Lodge. Despite emails to the owners, there is still no security if you are staying in dormitories here. The hostel is next to the main Highway 1 but despite this, the dorm rooms do not lock and there are NO lockers for your valuables. The reception is only there part of the day, and there is even a notice at reception inviting people to look around the place when the staff are not there. Not good to leave cameras, bags and laptops in such an open and insecure place. The owners just do not seem to care about security at all.

Also, there was no heating in the room during my stay (and it was needed) and the main room light electric sockets did not work.

Not a good place to stay,.

Room Tip: Choose another place where you can lock things and where the electrics work !!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
SequoiaLodge, Owner at Sequoia Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

In response to the perceived security problem, ths same guest stayed with us about 2 years ago and he raised the same concerns. We took this very seriously and the police were called in to conduct an audit and to get their opinion on the level of security in the property. The opinion of the police was that the security position was perfectly acceptable and no request was made by them to tighten up our security. This was a relief for us and the case was closed. We do acknowledge that our dorm style rooms do not have locks on them. However we do have a safe for valuables and between our manager who is site from 8am to 9pm (but takes a break from 2-4pm) and our pool of 6-7 exchange workers, there is generally someone in the hostel to keep an eye on things. We have not been advised or had to report a theft in the last 2 years, or since this issue was first bought to our attention. And in many cases, we get lovely feedback around the theme that our hostel as a very homely feel, the style of our dorms and the non locking nature of them contributing to this feeling.
And we apologise if the electrical issue disrupted other guests. As soon as it was bought to our attention, we rectified it.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

I thought this was a pretty laid back hostel with friendly staff. Its probably one of the furthest hostels from the ferry but its still only about a ten min walk and they run free shuttles to take you back there. Might be worth investigating if they'll pick you up when they make a booking. The kitchen is a good size and well equipped, didn't seem to get too busy. Nice living room to relax in and theres a hot tub you can use for free. The place is really clean. I stayed in a 5 bed dorm that wasn't too crowded and was pretty comfy but my only problem was there was no locks on the doors and no lockers in the room for your valuables.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo