“Ok”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Picton
Hamburg, New York
“Ok”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Expensive, not the cleanest; I would recommend to stay somewhere else. Booked this room to catch the ferry in the morning. The bathroom and shower look like an afterthought. Rooms are not sealed well, and outside noise finds it's way in.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nate82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This motel was very clean with very hospitable hosts. We were made to feel welcome and given fruit from the trees. It isn't a luxury hotel, but for a family motel, it is amongst the best we've ever stayed in.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Bradford UK
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The first impressions of this motel were very good indeed. We had come off the Wellington ferry at about 1 am to very gratefully find this motel very near to the terminal. Secondly we were quite stressed that may be the owners would be in bed and therefore we would not have any way of checking in. No worries there! On the reception door was a big notice with ever late arrival's room number. The doors were already unlocked and the key easy available. Such a relief. We only stayed over night and was very happy just to arrive. the room was average for a motel. Well stock kitchen. My mate wasn't liking the occasional wildlife (my mate's first view of a southern hemisphere cockroach) in the bedroom. Having travelled in the outback before - to me I wasn't bothered! If you are on the late ferry - email the motel and tell them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Auckland
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had been staying at a bach in the Marlborough Sound, and the weather turned nasty, so we cut our stay short there and had to find somewhere to stay in PIcton. This was it. A nice surprise., The rooms had a very 70s feel to them - not necessarily to everyone's taste - but the unit was nice and big, with two separate bedrooms, and a a proper living room. The toiletries provided were excellent, and in proper-sized bottles. Host was very friendly, and showed us a place on site to wash our boat down. Outdoor furniture was also supplied, and we had a very pleasant dinner with another family in the garden. There is guest laundry on site, but the one negative we found was the $10 to use it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed at Marlin Motel for one night on the way south. It was average and i thought a little expensive for what it was. The unit was ok but could do with a bit of a make over.
I was arriving late so the owner left the unit unlocked for me which was excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 1811027Gary
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Let me start by saying that I have worked in Hotels and lived in Hotels for over 21 years now. So I have a rough Idea what Motels/Hotels in New Zealand and around the world look like.
This hotel was the first one out of six in the South Island on our anual Motorbike tour.It was with $NZ186.00 for two the most expensive one. Location was handy, Organic tea , soap and TV good.But that's where it all comes to a screeching hold. First the ceiling in unit 15 has asbestos locking cover. I was very concerned as I had it all removed in my place 16 years ago. The furniture is just really bad ,old and should have been replaced twenty years ago. I stripped my bed in the morning to see how old the mattress is.The dirty Mattress cover was from 1990!!!! It was no surprise that I had next day major back problems.Sleeping in a bed like a banana does not help, no back support at all. I felt the springs all night long.The shower is at least 20 years old as well. Once again I replaced one of these showers in my house 15 years ago , because it was worn out. In the living room/kitchen/2nd bedroom you got one wall totally covered in Carpet???!!!
The kitchen is not worth to talk about it. It's old and worn out.
The curtains in this unit are shocking.
I could get on about the sink, heating, general cleanliness,microwave you name it.
This place makes money by having a very good location. It needs some serious overhaul.
This concept of saving money and hoping we get away with it for another year will not work.Management read the signs and do something about it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wolfram S

Travelers are raving about these Picton hotels

Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed in a studio apartment which was quite a small room (compared with our three weeks stays elsewhere). Bad stuff first - furniture and room was quite dated - not something I mind as sometimes retro can be quite charming but this place was a little tired. Some nice touches were the organic soaps and very cosy towels (to management: yes we notice these small things thank you!). The price though should have been 10-20 less than the $120 we paid. Another good thing was the helpfulness of our host - good recommendations for meals and things to see. We would probably stay somewhere else next time...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple