“Disappointing!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Picton
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The bakery had been recommended by a local so what we sampled was all the more disappointing. We found the Moroccan lamb pie dry, full of gristle, and with a soggy crust. The pastries were dry as well. Wait instead until you get to Nelson. Try the boysenberry brownie at the Sweet Sensations cafe: it's fantastic.

Rachel v, Manager at Picton Village Bakkerij, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Hi Caminoista,

I'm very sorry to see that you were disappointed in the products that you purchased from us recently. We strive always to ensure product available for sale is top quality. My personal favourite pie is the Morrocan Lamb, so I am very disappointed that you didn't enjoy it as much as I do. We buy in top quality lamb from a local wholesale butcher, and make the filling and the pastry from scratch here onsite. I will let the butcher know that there was gristle found, as I do understand the impact that has on a good pie-eating experience.

The pastries that I think you are referring to are the flaky pastry products that we make, and by their nature (with lots of air in the shell), they can be a dry product in comparison to cakes etc. I will ensure your feedback is given to our bakers, who may need to increase the ratio of filling to pastry in order to make the overall product more acceptable.

On the rare occasion that a customer returns to us unhappy with the product they have purchased, we have a policy in place to replace or refund the product, so I'm sorry that we didn't see you back in store and have the opportunity to ensure you were thrilled with our products. Thank you for your review, we always appreciate when customers let us know what we can improve on.

Kind Regards,
Sarah O'Bryan
Bakery Manager

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We went here for a lunch stop after reading hugely positive reviews on here. It's a lovely place with outdoor seating and tasty looking cakes and rolls but we were sadly very disappointed with the quality of lunch we bought. The steak pie my fiancé had was very average - we've had much much better in NZ - and my chicken baguette was also not very good; bread sat out a little too long, pre-packaged chicken covered in thick BBQ sauce. It was inexpensive, as a good point, but there are far better lunch options in Picton for sure. We walked down the main road to Gusto for coffee (very good) and the food looked so tasty we regretted not waiting and eating there.

On the plus side for the Bakerij we also bought some hot crossed buns for the road which were very good. It's probably a great bakery (as the many awards would suggest) but definitely not the best place to stop and eat in Picton.

Sarah O, Owner at Picton Village Bakkerij, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

We are sorry to hear your visit was disappointing. We try to cater for everyone by having a range of products priced from $ 2.80 -$ 7.50 in the sandwich range, these prices reflect the filling choices in the sandwiches and filled rolls. We clearly display the fillings on the product labels to inform our customers and to help them make their choice.
Our staff are also happy to answer any questions you may have regarding fillings and the type of breads used. Our baguettes and rolls are made fresh on site daily, giving customers the option of a crusty type baguette roll or a soft focaccia bun to name a few.
We can not be compared with fancy café's as they generally offer higher priced items and have a different range of filling options that reflect the pricing.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Hot Cross Buns and wish you a Happy Easter.
Kind Regards,
Rachel van Beek

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We went here after seeing all the amazing reviews online, but to be honest it's a very standard bakery. Pies no better than what I used to get at the school cafe. I had some nice bread but I've definitely seen some much better bakeries in our trip around new zealand.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

In the Bakkerij baking bread is an art. The quality of the freshly baked bread is mouthwatering ànd healthy. Also the fresh cakes and other sweets are attractive and delicious. Hilghly recommended. We are proud that the Bakkerij is of Dutch origin, it's an ambassador af Dutch breadbaking culture.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Looked forward to trying this place. Everything looked fanstastic, cakes, pies, sandwiches, bread etc. Went for a steak pie and in all honesty it was the worst one I've had during my numerous trips to New Zealand and Australia. It was 'hunt the steak'. I eventually found 2 tiny bits in the whole pie surrounded by gloopy, jelly like 'gravy'. My partners was exactly the same so not just a one off rouge pie.

A real let down

Hi Ian,
I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in our product. We pride our business on making quality products. It is very odd that you had two pies with only two pieces of meat? If you had returned them, we would have given you a replacement product, so you could see it was a one off and refunded your money. All of our product are hand made on site daily and we are upset to hear you went away unhappy. If you ever return to Picton please call in so we can offer you a Free pie on us.
Kind regards,