“PADI Openwater Course & Lermontov Wreck”

Go Dive Marlborough
Wellington, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“PADI Openwater Course & Lermontov Wreck”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I spent 4 days doing a combined Openwater course and a trip to the Lermontov wreck. I would say I was a pretty nervous diver but Brent was a fantastic instructor - professional, friendly and patient - and I don't think I would have enjoyed diving so much if I had done the course elsewhere. Diving down to 18 meters to see the Lermontov was out of this world. There was definitely an ominous feeling, seeing this huge cruise liner start to emerge out of the darkness as you are descending. It lies on its side, now covered with vegetation and brimming with life after 30 years underwater. Chilling to see but so worth it! I would highly recommend doing the Openwater course here or going to Lermontov Lodge to dive the wreck, or both! A wonderful experience.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Princessepoppy

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great with the kids”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My son had his first open water dive after qualifying with PADI and Brent was great with him - he took a lot of time and care with him and made sure he had a great experience.

Good value for money as well and a very friendly experience.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Ian H
Canberra, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Diving the Lermentov”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Did the overnight trip to the Go Dive lodge in Port Gore and then did two dives on the Lermentov. A great diving experience however with the travel times I would really try for three dives in the day rather than just two. Well worth the money and Brent looked after us with comfortable warm accomodation and good food.

Visited December 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fabulous dive experience!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

This really was a fantastic dive trip where we got to experience the real New Zealand.
Brent, who runs Go Dive was a great guy. The pick up from picton was stress free. Driving the 2.5 hr trip to port gore gave an opportunity to see the spectacular sounds.
Lermontov lodge is ideal. Basic but equipped with everything we needed. Comfortable beds, warm shower and great food (whipped up by Brent).
As for the Lermontov, wow! I've never dived an intact wreck of this size. It could easily have been overwhelming but the briefing prepped us for the encounter and both the orientation dive and penetration dives were mind-blowing experiences!
I only had time to dive for one day but this was no problem and I caught the water taxi back to picton which was a fabulously scenic end to this malbourgh sounds experience.
I can't recommend the Letmontov trip with Go Dive highly enough!

1 Thank MD23
London, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Amazing Lermontov Trip”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Did a four day diving trip on the Lermontov at the end of June with Go Dive. Brent was very good at communication before I arrived and managed to arrange the appropriate equipment for me beforehand. Once I arrived in Picton, Brent arranged to meet me and then help me find a campsite fairly late in the evening (I had a campervan at the time, others stayed in a hotel which he also sorted) and we arranged to meet the following morning. All the kit was loaded onto the boat, our cars were parked at his house and we set off to the lodge for the weekend. The lodge was in a stunning location and provided a comfortable base for the weekend. One double room, two bunk bed rooms, two toilets, hot shower and a big lounge / kitchen area to relax in. Brent cooked fantastic food over the weekend that helped fill a hole after all the dives.

The dives themselfs were outstanding. I was mainly diving tech over the weekend and Brent was able to provide twin sets, deco bottles, regs and o2 as required. As he was teaching over the weekend, his good friend Gerald (who knows the wreck very well) was assigned as my buddy and was fantastic to say the least.Brent knows the wreck like the back of his hand and is able to give you the best knowledge of the wreck and direct you where to go. I was fortunate to be able to do two dives with Brent as well on the last day and he showed me some of the less explored areas of the wreck.

I've dived a lot of places over the world and few have provided as good service as Brent did. I would not hesitate to recommend them if you are thinking of diving the Lermontov or in the surrounding area.

(more info on the diving can be found on my blog; http://redpandadiving.com/post/26342501747/mikhail-lermontov-go-dive-marlborough)

Visited July 2012