“Fabulous homely hostel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Picton
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fabulous homely hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

This place was a welcome relief after my horrible hostel in nelson. Warm, comfy and friendly arrival. Cosy lounge and communal areas. Spacious modern bedroom (dorm) with comfy beds and warm blankets. Only hostel I've seen that give you two pillows!
Two cats give it a home touch. Lynne was lovely and breakfast was great. Hot tub in garden also a great extra. No flaws, perfect hostel, you Wont be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Planned to stay there for a night but extended one more night because tombstone backpackers was really a good place to rest. I missed the first day of breakfast as I remembered the time wrongly (my mistake) but made an effort to wake up earlier for Lynn's scones the next day. It was hot from the oven and soft inside, very delicious. The free breakfast is really a good bonus to the price! However do note that they have cats at their premise and having a cat allergy I had a small scare to see the cat in my dorm room one morning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Paihia, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

My friend and I have stayed at the Tombstone Backpackers 3 times now - it's the only choice as far as we're concerned. Owners are welcoming and amusing. They'll pick you up and drop you off at the bus depot. The home made breakfast is worth getting up for so you don't miss out. You're the best baker Lynne. One more washing machine would be great - but that won't put us off coming again. See you next time Lynne and Gordon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

If you take the bluebridge ferry, they are located right across the street up a little hill from the terminal. It's very convenient. They also provide a free shuttle bus. The rooms were very small and compact, but perfect for a one-nighter. It was very clean. Their free breakfast was simple but filling, and it's an easy walk to the town center. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We needed a one-way rental to Christchurch and their staff kindly called 3 or 4 different rental places for us to check on availability and price before we settled on one, and she then drove us there. Thank you! It's a great place to meet other travelers and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed here before and after walking The Queen Charlotte Track. Our room was a double en-suite which was immaculately clean and very comfortable. The facilities were excellent with a well equipped kitchen, free WIFI, transfer to and from the ferry (we didn't know this when we arrived and it took a while to find as it's marked in the wrong place on the map in The Rough Guide). The owners are very friendly and helpful. Lynne makes delicious fresh cheese scones every morning as part of the free breakfast. I was very grateful when I left my camera in Christchurch and I was able to arrange with Lynne for it to be sent to Tombstone so I could collect on my return.

Room Tip: The double en-suite rooms are brand new and superb!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

I stayed there only one night but it was enough to see that this place is just perfect! Everything there is brand new&clean, from the rooms, bathroom, kitchen to the spa! Also very friendly staff&owner, and a lot of plus like free wifi, breakfast include, free bikes, hot spa and the list goes on... I can only recommend this place and wish I will have the occasion to come back!

• Stayed March 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I booked three nights here and the day I arrived I know it was the right choice. shiny kitchen, spacious communal area, all kinds of facility such as pool, spa, piano, and even running machines! The owner is very friendly and humorous. one thing though I'd like to say is, maybe the owner is too nice to people, some woofers are a bit rude, asking if we could change movie after we have watched for an hour or so. It happened twice in two days. I wonder if this happens to other guests as well.

• Stayed March 2014