“The Pick of Picton”

and 1 more site!
Tombstone Backpackers
Ranked #4 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Picton
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My friend and I have stayed at the Tombstone Backpackers 3 times now - it's the only choice as far as we're concerned. Owners are welcoming and amusing. They'll pick you up and drop you off at the bus depot. The home made breakfast is worth getting up for so you don't miss out. You're the best baker Lynne. One more washing machine would be great - but that won't put us off coming again. See you next time Lynne and Gordon.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 30, 2014

If you take the bluebridge ferry, they are located right across the street up a little hill from the terminal. It's very convenient. They also provide a free shuttle bus. The rooms were very small and compact, but perfect for a one-nighter. It was very clean. Their free breakfast was simple but filling, and it's an easy walk to the town center. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We needed a one-way rental to Christchurch and their staff kindly called 3 or 4 different rental places for us to check on availability and price before we settled on one, and she then drove us there. Thank you! It's a great place to meet other travelers and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed here before and after walking The Queen Charlotte Track. Our room was a double en-suite which was immaculately clean and very comfortable. The facilities were excellent with a well equipped kitchen, free WIFI, transfer to and from the ferry (we didn't know this when we arrived and it took a while to find as it's marked in the wrong place on the map in The Rough Guide). The owners are very friendly and helpful. Lynne makes delicious fresh cheese scones every morning as part of the free breakfast. I was very grateful when I left my camera in Christchurch and I was able to arrange with Lynne for it to be sent to Tombstone so I could collect on my return.

Room Tip: The double en-suite rooms are brand new and superb!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I stayed there only one night but it was enough to see that this place is just perfect! Everything there is brand new&clean, from the rooms, bathroom, kitchen to the spa! Also very friendly staff&owner, and a lot of plus like free wifi, breakfast include, free bikes, hot spa and the list goes on... I can only recommend this place and wish I will have the occasion to come back!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I booked three nights here and the day I arrived I know it was the right choice. shiny kitchen, spacious communal area, all kinds of facility such as pool, spa, piano, and even running machines! The owner is very friendly and humorous. one thing though I'd like to say is, maybe the owner is too nice to people, some woofers are a bit rude, asking if we could change movie after we have watched for an hour or so. It happened twice in two days. I wonder if this happens to other guests as well.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Everything you could ask for in a backpackers: super friendly and helpful owner and staff, high standard of cleanliness, modern shower facilities, great kitchen with plenty of room in the modern glass fronted double fridges and sturdy bunk beds with crisp sheets and black duvet covers. The owner Lynne, keeps a close eye on things and ensures that people do their own dishes. Warm cheese scones are served up each morning for breakfast, along with cereals, bread for toasting & preserves. Tea and coffee are free along with milk for your hot drinks. Pick up and drop off from interislander terminal. Large area with tables and chairs for eating, separate quiet room, another separate tv room, enclosed verandah with pool table and round the side there is a verandah which catches the evening sun. This was the first hostel I stayed in in the South Island and I loved it.

Room Tip: I stayed in an eight bed dorm and had no issues whatsoever despite being on the top bunk
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Where to start?! Great staff, clean, comfy rooms and bathrooms. Free breakfast and wifi, a hot tub and great stunning views of the town and the bay. It's a very short walk from the town, the ferry terminal, the train station or the bus terminal, but the hostel also offers a free shuttle. Also, great prices! But the best thing is the staff, the hosts are fantastic, helpful and cheerful. A great place to stay!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple