“Best place I stayed in NZ!”

Tombstone Backpackers
Ranked #2 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Picton
Reviewed September 7, 2013

A real haven - great kitchen, AMAZING breakfast (a massive bonus!), cosy rooms (I was on my own in a double room the first night, same rate as a bigger dorm-style room), very clean, spa/hot-tub was great after a long day walking and Lynn, the owner (I think I remember her name correctly?!), was super accommodating and helpful, offering pick-ups and drop-offs etc. Only point I would mention is that there are cats hanging around the common areas, I'm allergic so this was a bit of a bother, but it probably wouldn't prevent me from going there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Don't be scared off by the name, this place is truly lovely!!! Spent one night but wish it was more. Booked a double room, shared shower facilities and got up graded to an ensuite room when we checked in with a view of Picton from the hill. Amazing free breakfast, the homemade cheese scones were stunning! Lovely clean tidy rooms and just a lovely feel around the house. The couple that run the backpackers would do anything to make your stay the best. We checked out as We had a finishing trip for the day and our ferry was delayed back to Wellington, they offered use of the shower facilities after our trip and gave us a lift to the ferry port!

Thanks for an amazing stay, really made our weekend! Will be back for sure!!!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gregacollins
Reviewed August 31, 2013

A great backpackers opposite the cemetery hence the name. Quirky skull keyrings. Great facilities and close to the ferry terminal. I had a room with ensuite which was modern, clean and comfortable. Helpful hosts. Would highly recommend. Easy 5 min drive into main shops.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at Tombstone Backpackers for a couple of days in June and we loved it. We had been staying in dorms for a while so this was a lovely change of scenery. We originally booked a dorm but the owners were lovely enough to offer us a private room for no extra charge as they were quiet at the time. They also picked us up and drove us back to the ferry terminal which saved us walking around with our massive backpacks in the rain. The bathrooms and kitchen were clean, the tv room felt nice and homely, there were 2 friendly cats and they even left us clean towels and toiletries in our bed. The electric blankets were also an amazing touch! All in all we would highly recommend this place and if we're ever in Picton again we won't hesitate to book a room there.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed here before catching the ferry. You couldn't ask for much more from a hostel, it's clean and well equipped. We stayed in a double room which comfortable and good value. The owners are friendly and helpful people.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

so devastated I could only stay for one night!!this hostel should be the benchmark for EVERY hostel!!! Owners are so welcoming wonderful wonderful place!!!perfect location for ferry and bus-STUNNING
Free internet nd wifi tv room,lounge room,reading room,play room,two eating areas and a GIANT kitchen
stunning rooms,stunning views!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is a super comfy hostel. The front door is styled to look like a coffin lid (as the hostel is across the road from a graveyard), but this is where the spooky stuff ends. Inside there is a well equipped kitchen (simple breakfast included), and a couple of nice lounges. I was feeling tired from my travels and was really able to relax in the TV lounge. The dorm was clean and comfortable. The bathrooms were in good condition.
It is worth noting that the hostel has two pretty cats. Both of these are long haired, but very well groomed and I did not find hair on my clothes. The cats did not appear to be allowed into the bedrooms.
Even though some people were coming and going for ferries etc, it never felt like a hurried place. Pick up and drop off were kindly included.
There is some nice hiking in the area, and I enjoyed getting to know Picton.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo