“Never seen better”

and 1 more site!
Tombstone Backpackers
Ranked #2 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Picton
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I have been meaning to write to recommend this hostel since I stayed in Feb 2011 and it is only now that I am about to book again for this Feb that I have got around to it.

As with all of the other reviews I found nothing to fault in the service, cleanliness, location or facilities at this awesome Hostel.

I have traveled extensively throughout the world and have not found anything to match the Tombstone.

Lynne and Gordon have created a great home away from home either before or after days tramping the area.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Queen ensuite room for $75 a night - Great value
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed January 22, 2012

What a pleasure it was to stay here! Lynne picked us up from the bus stop and took us to our next drop off point the next morning. It is such great service. The room was sophisticated for a backpackers, hotel style with soap on the pillow and all!!! The showers and bathrooms were extremely clean and with great water pressure and temperature. Fantastic kitchen, lots of people using it and the outdoor BBQ. Great little view from the top of the small hill it is perched upon. Shame we missed out on Lynne's homemade scones for brekky though, will have to come back again. Best place we stayed in our entire NZ trip!

Room Tip: Good views from twin room with shared bathroom
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank knixee
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This is the best hostel I've ever stayed at. Lynne picked me up at the bus stop, drove to the centre in the morning so I could take part in a walking tour and drove me to the ferry when I was leaving. She was so friendly and it was really appreciated!
The hostel was clean, toilets and showers excellant condition. It is not a party hostel, but I liked that. Big kitchen, free continental breakfast. Great atmosphere, would go back if ever in Picton again. The date is wrong, I was here in Jan 2009, but it doesn't seem to have lost its charm.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Check out the comments in the Lonely Planet. This place is, as they write: "one of the best hostels we've ever seen." Not much to add to that :-)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Really nice place, The room was quiet, kitchen was very nice, there is a pool table. The room cost includes breakfast (very unusual in New Zealand for this budget price) which as well as toast/cereal included hot homemade cheese scones. The owners were helpful in dropping me in to town on one day when I was unable to walk. From reviews I wasn't sure whether it was worth staying in Picton. In fact Picton was lovely, and we were very happy to stay here 3 nights.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We chose this hostel because of it's proximity to the ferry terminal and it was perfect. We had our own car, which we left there (along with our extra luggage) when we hiked the QCT. Lynne drove us down to the water-taxi on the day of our hike and she or Gordon are available to drive people pretty much whenever they need a lift. We ended up staying there the night before the QCT and the night we returned and because we liked it so much, we booked it again for our last night on the S Island. It has a communal kitchen and breakfast is included with the room. There is a laundry facility available and lots of areas to sit around and read, watch tv, play pool, go on the internet or use the fitness equipment. There is even a hot tub. We stayed in a double room the first night and then opted for the apartment the other two. It was very quiet, despite being a busy place and being a short walk from town (maybe 10 mins) it is in an ideal location. Great hosts and clean, spacious rooms. Couldn't ask for better, and the price was great too.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Gordon really took good care of us. We showed up without a reservation, and he squeezed us into one of the nicest places we stayed in NZ. Fully equiped kitchen, great hot tub, good breakfast (included), nice laundry, and clean clean clean. Gordon gave us great advice about where to go in town and even brought up our bags when Endeavor Express delivered them after we had checked in. Just a great experience

Room Tip: Everything we saw was nice, but the apartment is Fantastic!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple