“Super Seafood Chowder”

Bully Hayes Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #3 of 30 Restaurants in Akaroa
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, International, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Bully Hayes Restaurant & Bar, Akaroa's Premier Dinning Spot. Open year round, seven days for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner or just a casual drink or coffee in the sun. Enjoy the spectacular panoramic views of Akaroa Harbour whilst you dine from any number of our indoor or outdoor dining areas. Sheltered garden area with childrens play area also. Specialising in comtempory New Zealand cuisine using fresh local produce with a mix of traditional and modern flavours. An extensive menu with alarge selection of seafood including freshly shucked oysters. Innovative and award winning cuisine all at prices to suit any budget. To compliment our dining menu we carry the" Monteiths" range of craft beers on tap and by the bottle along side an all embracing wine list and non alcoholic beverage menu.
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We have the chowder every time we go to Akaroa. It has a wide and unusual variety of fish, shellfish, and cephalopods in it, and is served with a chunk of toasted garlic bread. Yum!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Fantastic brekky & Coffee huge portions however but great food - watch out for the sparrows if eating outside !!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

What can I say! We had the most appalling service we have ever encountered anywhere.
The waitress took everyone's orders and then went to walk away, I asked if I could please order too...what do yah want she asked! I ordered the horse club sandwich(basically a chicken club) with no bacon as I cannot eat pork, the sandwich duly arrived with bacon, when I pointed this out to the waitress she told me to 'just eat it'! I handed it back to return to the kitchen. Seconds later she was back and threw the sandwich down in front of me, I asked for a fresh one with no traces of bacon. It was taken away but returned to me 10 minutes later with the others meals, it was the same sandwich stale and cold.
Whilst we were there the staff stood folding towels in the restaurant, the towels were all full of holes and looked dirty...not a good look!
The others at the tables meals were ok but nothing fantastic.
Overall, dreadful service, dreadful food. We often go to Akaroa for the day but will never visit this establishment again

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Really enjoyed this restaurant - the only negative would be the number of sparrows and sea gulls hovering around but that is not the fault of the restaurant in any way.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stopped in for lunch on our drive out to Akaroa from Christchurch. My husband and I shared garlic bread and the battered blue cod with chips & salad. Everything we had was very nice, and the fish was beautifully fresh. The service was good and the brightness & position of the restaurant very pleasant. It was a very windy that day, so it was nice to be in the shelter but not feel closed in.