“Great night in lovely setting”

Akaroa Waterfront Motels
Ranked #2 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Akaroa
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We booked the accommodation at short notice after a decision to visit Akaroa. There were 5 of us. Two teenage boys and 3 adults. We were offered a one bedroom apartment with a studio, with a roll away. The host was helpful and very keen to ensure that we were happy with our accommodation. We all had a good night sleep. The apartments were well equipped and the location is excellent. The host told us about the attractions around town. We visited the Giants House which was quirky and fun. The wireless worked well. The host assisted us with our outward journey showing us the quickest route to the airport in Christchurch for our homeward trip. We will certainly visit Akaroa again and highly recommend this accommodation

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed in the 'Driftwood' section of this motel and had an upstairs room and the sea came right up to the front of the hotel. 2 mins walk to the town centre and jetty. The nearby La Masion restaurant was superb and highly recommended. The accommodation was bright and clean and the owner very helpful and friendly, suggesting various day trips out.

Room Tip: Upstairs bedrooms in the Driftwood section offer fantastic views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2012

There is no denying that the motel is in a picturesque location, immediately next to the water at, the end of the bay in Akaroa New Zealand. The motel was clean and depending on which unit you are allocated, the neighbors noise is quite tolerable. There is something almost indefinable missing though. Just as one can tell when entering someone's place, that you are truly welcome, the converse is also true. We felt like we had intruded on the owner's patch and he was going to let us know, in the manner he used to deal with us. E.g. When we asked about a particular room near the water we were told, with a sneer, " you can have it if you have another $100 ". The contempt was very evident. Of course he was not to know that we are not exactly wanting for cash. But, we were tired and needed sleep, otherwise we would have left immediately.

After availability of a room, my second question is always about wifi - whether this is available and included. I run a couple of medical clinics and take the responsibility of patient care very seriously so I like to be easily contactable. I was advised that there was complimentary wifi. I checked the room, it was OK, (nice location motels generally don’t have to be impressive), so we decided to stay. During the subsequent check in procedures, I was handed the slip with wifi logon details. The instructions were not clear, so I said ‘ if I have problems logging on, I will give you a call’… I was told by mine ‘host’ “No I don’t want to hear about it“ (!).

Once we settled in, we found as follows;
We could hear through the walls to the next door and upstairs units.
Heating was stingy (No heater in bathroom , remember this was new zealand….tourists from warmer climbs appreciate this).
The ‘side table‘ in the main bedroom was a wooden chair, serviceable if not a little incongruous .
The blinds did not block light so cannot darken the room to sleep.
‘Complimentary‘ wifi was especially stingy, but my complaint is that the ‘host’ was misleading, and his behaviour was totally unprofessional and argumentative..viz

After I first logged on, I discovered the wifi speed was 0.11 mbps (compared to 5 to 6 mbps at home in Brisbane). The wifi also ceased after 60 minutes.
I returned to the office to ask about this. What he said was “Well that was the guest wifi, but I can sell you high speed wifi for another $10.“
I reiterated that I had been told the wifi was complimentary with the room rate.
“I told you it was ‘guest ‘wifi.“ ( Silly of me to assume that complimentary wifi would be a reasonable speed and last more than 60 minutes! )
“I told you all this before“ said our host impatiently.
“I don’t remember you telling me this “ said I
“I must have, as I tell everyone….Why should you get free wifi when I have to pay for it? I run a business and have to pay for wifi, and so why should you expect to have free wifi ?" he whined.

When I mentioned that I had better post something on trip advisor so others would be aware of the situation with wifi, He said something along the lines of " Are you threatening me?" I said not at all, I just think others should know what they will actually be getting.

Of course, I understand dear reader, that things are not always as we would like, but generally in most establishments, the staff will be genuine and straight forward in their attempt to resolve problems. Frankly I would not have cared about paying $10 for wifi, but NOT when I have booked a room based on the understanding of getting complimentary wifi. It was also not just the words, it was his manner that was unprofessional… He was such a contrast to the well mannered and civil New Zealanders we met everywhere we travelled in the South Island. He must have been Dux in the school of bad manners and poor attitude. Why he chose a career in the hospitality industry will forever remain a mystery.
I read some of the older posts from Trip advisor and completely agree with the comments about ‘mine host’, and would never stay there again.

3  Thank DrDebTheTravelDoctor
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Our room was right on the water's edge with a small seating area which was lovely for relaxing and taking in the wonderful views. The room was spacious with two settees and a small dining area. The kitchen area was well equipped. We liked the separate bedroom. Owners helpful. Located not too far from the harbour. Very near is a supermarket, a good choice of restaurants and other shops. We used the motel's kayak which was good fun. Highly recommended

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Lovely way to spend an afternoon, sitting on the deck overlooking the ocean and watching the sun set over the harbour. Beautifully clean rooms ... amazing. Bird life was great. Everything close by, fabulous restaurants, local dairy and walks along the beach.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This motel is in the best spot in town. Our ranch slider opens to the water just a couple of metres away. There are chairs provided so you can just sit and gaze at the beautiful harbour. Meanwhile the room is clean, spacious and has everything you would need including a lovely comfy bed. The owners are helpful and accommodating. Loved it!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We chose to stay at the Waterfront motel because we thought the views would be amazing, and they were. The water looked gorgeous, especially as the sun set in the evening. The location is perfect.
The room was tidy and mostly clean (there was a load of hair on the couch; yuck!) and the bathroom was fine. It wasn't as 'fancy' as we had maybe expected for the price, but it was okay.
What really made us laugh were the 'passive-aggressive' notes - for example, you MUST open the window next to the kitchen whilst cooking (there was no window in the kitchen...) and absolutely everything else is an extra cost; like the biscuits or the use of the laundry.
We didn't have the best night's sleep because the curtains didn't keep the outside light at bay and the bed was not overly comfortable. We could also hear other people in the units next to us.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back to this motel; it's overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple