“An oasis of tranquility and luxury”

Akaroa Cottages - Heritage Collection
Ranked #3 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Akaroa
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Have just returned from a 2 night break and cannot recommend this place enough. We stayed in the delightful seaview cottage Overton. The views are spectacular, nestled amongst the tree canopy nature seranades you constantly. The cabin is more hotel chalet than motel, including linens and electric blanket, chocolates on the sumptious pillows. Milk is provided and although there is an electric heater the fireplace and handy supply of wood (more kept at back of cottage if required) make for a truly romantic stay heightened by the little touches including full hotel toiletries, fresh flowers and candle in the main room, full sky tv including sports and movies. Wireless internet is available on a pay per use basis although the first half hour is free to guests. A fully stocked mini-bar is also provided along with music centre although be warned the Port Hills make radio reception a bit hit and miss.
On a final note if you are still having a hard time trying to decide whether this should be your base to explore the area I have saved the best for last. The staff are truly amazing. The are friendly, knowledgable and go above and beyond to ensure that your stay is as perfect as you require.
So please consider stay here and Yes the driveway can sometimes get bumpy but remember that is more the fault of Mother Nature than the operators of the property. As for me well this Jamaican girl has found her winter hideout and if I can get a booking my summer one as well

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nishel B
Megan H, Manager at Akaroa Cottages - Heritage Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your rave review of our property! We appreciate hearing positive feedback and to be assured we are doing our job well. We hope to see you back again soon. :)

There are newer reviews for Akaroa Cottages - Heritage Collection

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Had an enjoyable one night stay. The cottage was very neat and tidy, and although somewhat functional, served its purpose. It was helpful that you could drive and park right next to your cottage. Rooms were large and the kids loved their electric blankets. Downstairs bathroom a bit chilly - but that was only a small thing. Bedrooms had a great view looking down towards Akaroa Harbour.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Megan H, Manager at Akaroa Cottages - Heritage Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of our property Sounds like the 3 bedroom cottage was just right for you and your family/Friends. We hope you enjoyed your time in NZ and you never know we may see you back . Take care M

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had made a long drive that day from Dunedin so we were both tired when we reached Akaroa.

While it was not exactly what I expected, we were both quite pleased with the Cottages. The lady at reception was helpful and friendly. The cottage itself (we stayed in the one named Rowan) had all that was needed for a cozy and romantic stay.

We did change the furniture's positioning slightly so that we could both enjoy the view of the harbour which you have to see for yourself to appreciate. But moving that furniture was only a small thing.

My only criticism is that the bed was right next to the kitchenette. It could have been better placed towards the main window overlooking the harbour... but once again, it's a very minor point.

It was our second last night in New Zealand and I'm glad we stayed where we did.

Room Tip: Be specific when booking to ask for one with a spa (if you want one). We expected a spa but it was a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review we have to agree Dunedin is such we way away (4 Hours+) it really is so nice to arrive at the cottages and unwind.
The Seaview Studio's are both around the wrong way the designer did not really think about the flow and that amazing view from the rooms.
We are all for making yourself at home in our cottages
We hope to see you again Take Care M

Reviewed July 7, 2013

It's not that often we have time together, looking at the description and pictures a chance of a romantic cottage was appealing. On entering the weighbridge cottage my heart sunk, it looked no better than a sleep-out. It is not possible to view individual cottage rooms from the photos on the web site. The cottage is descibed as 4.5 star I fail to see how it got this rating. The cottage is tired and shabby, enough wood for 3 to 4 hrs, broken heated towel rail, shower over bath was hard to regulate. Bath robes were more like cardboard, one of the bed lamps had the bulb pocking out the top, budget furniture,what looked like a past it's use by date aircon unit that was dusty and had a board and picture covering the front. The steep driveway is in need if re leveling and lighting is non existing. On departure the only question I was asked was had I used the mini bar? If I thought I could have got a refund I would have gone to a motel. All in all we feel mislead by the advertising and wasted $170 and a nice weekend stay, the bush cottages ratings should be down graded to 2 star, I will never go again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 255sharon
Megan H, Manager at Akaroa Cottages - Heritage Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay with us, Both our bush-view cottages are able to be viewed via our website. The pictures available on-line show what the room is all about. We do this so you know what you are buying as they do not suit everybody. We are having both these units upgraded over the winter. i agree with all you points and am hoping to have all these addressed on upgrade. The driveway Christchurch City care whom are contracted to have repaired this over 3 months ago have postponed 3 times now for the repair. Should you have any complaints or suggestions when departing whether asked or not please let us know as sometimes things can be missed and go unseen by the maintenance unless we know. I really do hope you will come back and stay with us and i would possibly suggest one or our Seaview Cottages next time. Take care

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We got a seaview cottage that had a small potbelly fire in it. Being terrible weather the fire was a welcome addition. Firewood is delivered everyday so you do not run out. The spa bath was great. The mattress does need to be replaced, but other than that we were happy with the fittings.

My one complaint is the driveway. I acknowledge that there has been alot of rain, of late, but the large pothole on leaving the unit needs to be filled. The driveway from the road and all throughout the property needs to be graded and new gravel laid.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smithnz

Hi There, Thank you for your review. I would like you contact us please just so i can have the name of the cottage so we can look into the mattress. The Driveway again we are waiting for the contractor to arrive. It is as much frastrating for our guests as it is for us.
Rainy days and fires are always a good thing, We hope to see you back for a weekend soon or even a get out of town night. until then Take care M

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at Akaroa Cottages for a weekend recently.
The cottages themselves are lovely, with quality furnishings and a comfortable bed. There were stunning views from both rooms.
Unfortunately the management of the hotel leave a lot to be desired. The words unfriendly and unsympathetic spring to mind.
Despite the stunning location, we will look for other accommodation next time we are in Akaroa.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Loyal-QPR-Fan

I am truly sorry that you have left our property with the feeling that we are unsympathetic and unfriendly, This is certainly not our intention what so ever. Kyle and Myself (Megan) expect all our team to treat our guests as they are somewhere special. This is also part of the Heritage Boutique Collection. I have contacted you and asked you to email with details as i will look in this personally myself as i am very disappointed. You have suggested you will look elsewhere but please get in contact with myself and i will personally look after you as you will not find anything like Akaroa Cottages in Akaroa. Take Care M

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed here at the end of my trip to NZ - so glad I did. The cottage was well appointed and tucked away (I stayed in the Weighbridge) so there wasn't a view of the bay but that really didn't matter. Megan and Kyle were extremely welcoming and helped me out when I wasn't well; they seemed genuinely concerned. it wasn't nice being ill so far from home but a friendly word really helped. Watch out for the cat; she nearly climbed in my case! The cottages are a short drive from the town - and although the distance wouldn't be a problem, there isn't a pavement.

Try and avoid being in Akaroa when the liners are in. My visit co-incided with the Queen Mary - the place was packed with the passengers. However, sitting on the grass watching her steam serenely away was special.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

I remember you arrived not well at all. Travelling by yourself when you are not well is never nice and sometimes just to know you have someone to call on makes you feel better. One of the BEST things about our location is that when the Cruise boats are in you can sit up here and watch them and then head down when they have departed for a bite to eat for Dinner.
Please Note should you come across any Cats while staying here they are WILD and not ours please let us know
Thanks Ginger and we hope you arrived home safely
Take Care M