“truly awesome”

San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
“truly awesome”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Our trip on the sailboat was nothing less than spectacular. I traveled to Akaroa with my two 80ish year old aunts and my 23 year old niece and this was fully enjoyed but each one of our generations. One of my aunts got a huge kick out of helming the vessel for a while. Ray is top notch and really shows that he both 100% knows what he is doing with the ship and that is is 100% in love with his "job." I really couldn't have asked for anything more on our day in Akaroa. For sure one of the highlights of our time in New Zealand!!

Coventry, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We did most of the " must do's " around New Zealand but without a doubt this cruise rates as one of the best. Most of the time you are under sail and therefore the peace and tranquility are such a bonus as opposed to the other noisy engines of the other cruise trips on offer. Take it from us, do this one it really is mindblowing. Ray the skipper is a real gem and his love of his boat and Akaroa shines through. Just do it.

Jacq and Simon. Coventry England.

Tauranga, New Zealand
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Highly Recommend this One”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was a wonderful experience in every way. The sailing was fun, the host was friendly, helpful and informative, and the Hector dolphins put on an awesome display! Yes from the time we stepped on Ray's beautiful and well loved yacht the Manutara we felt very welcome and relaxed. Ray is a mine of information on local history and the marine life of the area and I felt he went the extra mile to make our trip a memorable experience! Would recommend this as a "must do" to anyone visiting Akaroa!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A must-do activity in Akaroa”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Ray, the captain, is charming and delightful. He is the sort of person whose love of his boat, his job, and people and this is evident immediately when you meet him. The boat is really lovely and Ray is generous with allowing passengers to participate or not in the sailing. My husband and I went on Akaroa Harbour with 2 other couples on Valentine's day, and we were so glad we didn't go out with the other boat companies, which seemed to be much more touristy. Ray told many interesting stories about the history of Akaroa and answered my many questions. Not just human history, but also the status of the land and marine animals in and around the harbour including the krill, which are so cool. I also LOVE that Ray provides sunscreen to everyone! It is necessary on a sunny day. We were on the afternoon cruise, and Ray was flexible with the timing, not rushing to get back to the wharf.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Great way to spend a few peaceful hours on the water, Ray is a fun and interesting skipper with lots of knowledge of the local area. A must in Akaroa