“Home away from home in a quaint country cottage”
Review of Room With A View

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Akaroa
Room With A View
Ranked #21 of 25 Akaroa B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 25, 2014

That’s how we felt when we stepped into Room with a View! This Akaroa trip was a gift for my husband’s birthday. The birthday boy has never been fond of big hotels. So, this B&B looked perfect in the trip advisor page. Rosemary’s warmth made us feel welcomed and as we finished our tea at the veranda while gazing at the picturesque harbour over the little garden (with a lemon hedge), we concluded this was the right choice for us.
The following day we were pleasantly surprised with the nice array of breakfast food which we had with the other couple from Ireland. I was very happy to have freshly baked croissant. My husband loved the peaches from Rosemary’s garden.
Apart from all these lovely experiences, Rosemary will be a big reason for us to go back there. She is charming and has a varied interest, which made us having an extended chat after the breakfast. But above all, she is amazingly hospitable. She dropped us off at the pick-up point (for our return trip), which otherwise would mean walking with our luggage. More importantly, she was the kindest host to return my favourite neck pillow which I left at her place, by HERSELF. We offered postage fee, but Rosemary just being herself decided to drop by at our place while she was in town!!

1  Thank Nazmun R

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We went to quite a number of B & Bs during an extended trip to Australia and New Zealand, but none of them was like A Room with a View. If you want modern, swish, hotel-style accommodation, this is not the place for you. But if you want character - in both house and host - you'll find this hard to beat. Room with a View is an old wooden house perched up above Akaroa harbour. The balcony and garden look down to the water, and even though there are the backs of several houses between you and the water, somehow they just fade away when sitting out in the sun with a glass of wine. The garden (with a lemon bush hedge...) is small but lovely, and the house is just a couple of minutes walk from the water.

Our room was large, pleasant, and dated. As I said, if you want modern and sophisticated, this may not be the place for you, but we loved it; this was amongst the top three places we stayed. Rosemary is charming and the whole experience was a delight. Only downside is that there's a single, shared, bathroom. If you can accept this, there's probably no nicer place to stay in Akaroa.

1  Thank hugh c
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed 2 nights - wish it could have been longer. Lovely to sit on the balcony taking in the view with a nice cup of tea. Shared shower room but we were the only guests for the 2nd night - and it had my favourite Van Gogh print in it, so knew this B&B was the place to be ! Delightful chatting to Rosemary over breakfast. Very comfortable bed and large room ( Queen room ? ). Had to leave early for the airport on the last morning & Rosemary was kind enough to allow us to have an early breakfast. Restaurants were a short and very pleasant walk away. Bully Hayes still open after 8pm for dinner which was a relief as we arrived late. Also eat in the Little Bistro ( a bit further away but easily walkable along the front in the delightful town of Akaroa ) - lovely food but small and they do like to cram people in there.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Staying at Rosemary's house is such a treat! She invited us onto her cottage balcony for "lemon drink" made with her lemons from her quaint garden. She had not worked out wireless to the cottage at this stage but we were happy regardless.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Rosemary is the perfect B & B host - attentive but not intrusive. Knowledgeable and willing to be helpful but also comfortable about leaving you alone. Wonderful bed and excellent breakfast. Great location. Only small downside is the shared bathroom.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jillymacca
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I spent two nights here in October 2013 and along with my stay in Christchurch they rounded out my short trip to New Zealand perfectly. As other reviews suggest, Rosemary is a marvellous host - she picked me up from the Christchurch shuttle bus without even being asked and was happy to drop me down at the pickup point for my return trip. Her home is beautiful and in a fantastic setting, perched up on a hill with a fantastic view of Akaroa harbour from her verandah. From the moment of my arrival, I was made to feel like one of the family and we spent time happily swapping travel stories! Breakfast consisted mostly of home-made fare which made a pleasant change from the mass catering of other hotels I stayed in during my trip down under. She also recommended several things to see and do during my stay in Akaroa, including the penguin 4WD sightseeing tour which is well worth the money.

All in all, it was a shame I only spent 2 nights here - given the warmth of the welcome, the house in its marvellous setting and Akaroa itself, I could have happily spent a week here. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We spent 2 nights with Rosemary in her beautiful home. The 2 bedrooms are large with comfortable beds and a shared bathroom. The home is a short 5 minute stroll to restaurants, shops and the beautiful harbour. It was lovely sitting out on the verandah, overlooking the pircturesque views with glass on NZ wine in hand. Rosemary is very interesting to talk to, she is very knowledgeable about local history and places to visit. Breakfast is simple, but with home made bread.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends