“A Garden Paradise in Akaroa”
Review of Room With A View

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Akaroa
Room With A View
Ranked #13 of 24 Akaroa B&B and Inns
Easton, PA
“A Garden Paradise in Akaroa”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed with Rosemary at the Room with a View B&B on our recent trip to Akaroa. We couldn't have been more pleased .... not only was the historic house lovely and the views phenomenal, Rosemary herself was the true gem of our stay. She was so warm and friendly we didn't want to leave! If you are looking for a home-stay in Akaroa and really want to feel a part of the community, then look no further. Rosemary's gardens are absolutely amazing ... lemon, avocado, apple, and tangerine trees as well as lovingly-tended roses and flowers. If you are lucky, Rosemary might even introduce you to her garden chicken. We will absolutely be back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank l_r_kendall

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Rosemary makes you very welcome and goes the extra mile to make you feel at home, breakfast is great, the place is very peaceful and sitting out on the veranda with some wine in the evenings was a highlight of the holiday.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonGlobetrotter
australia
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Have just returned from trip to South Island. We spent our last night in Akaroa and I loved the sound of "Room With a View" as a B&B stay. I emailed the owner "Rosemary" and booked in with no pre-payment required. This was the most delightful place to stay. A lovely B&B with views over the bay and a gorgeous verandah to sit on at dusk with a glass of wine and enjoy the view. Roses, Agapanthas , Lavender and many other flowers in full bloom in the beautiful garden. Rosemary cooked us breakfast using fruits from her garden...strawberries, peaches, blackberries and apples. It was a short 2 min stroll down a track to the water's edge and from there you could walk into town. I cant wait to come back and stay again....would not think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank ausloz
East Coast, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I am the first to write a review for this property & appreciate Trip Advisor listing it on my request as I think it well deserves it's chance.
Found this B&B via Internet search. Akaroa is not a cheap place to stay due to it's popularity. When I first looked at ROOM WITH A VIEW I dismissed it due to it's low tariff, thinking it must not be up to scratch. I checked some of the others & because we were on a budget I decided to phone Room with a View's Owner. She kindly & politely explained about her B&B & it sounded great; still I was concerned about the low tariff. We were travelling with another couple & arrived early afternoon & although the host Rosemary was not there she had left instructions on how to let ourselves in. What a wonderful surprise for us; the rooms were quite spacious, quality bedding & linen & the view off the front verandah was magnificent. Akaroa is a very pretty place & to observe it from this B&B's verandah was great. Both bedrooms also share this magnificent view. There are a couple of homes opposite that slightly impede the view but what is left is great. Rosemary has a beautiful garden & grows a lot of her own produce. Breakfast was continental style & quite ample. There is a dedicated parking spot & it is only a 3-4 minute walk down to the main pier area with all the shops, restaurants, cafes etc. Rosemary has spent most of her life on The Banks Peninsula & what she doesn't know about the area is not worth knowing. She owns & runs the B&B, is the relief bus driver & owns & drives the only taxi in Akaroa. I sort of calculated Rosemary's age & she is 60 + years young (I hope she doesn't mind me saying that) & I MEAN YOUNG!!!!! & her life is full of all these activities. We had 2 nights there & could easily had 5; if only to talk to Rosemary; she is everybody's mother & everybody's friend. Locals would ask where we were staying & when we told them they would reiterate her bus & taxi duties & only reinforce what we already knew of her character & popularity. If there is a small issue with this B&B it is that it only has a shared bathroom. All 4 of us are 'baby boomers' & we had no problem with this for 2 nights. Rosemary did explain that in an emergency another toilet could be made available. For this area this a real find; the BEST VALUE FOR MONEY PROPERTY I could locate & so close town but the real bonus is Rosemary; she is fantastic.....quietly friendly, down to earth, knowledgeable, maintains your self esteem & at all times treats you with empathy. Our friends we travelled with are of the same opinion & if we came back to Akaroa I would not even consider trying anywhere else. I believe that Rosemary does shut the B&B down for a time in winter.
A couple of good places to eat were 'Bully Hayes' great food & the pub closest to town (it's name escapes me) has great 'pub grub' but just ask Rosemary. We also went on a 2 hour sailing boat trip around the harbour which was fantastic & very reasonably priced. Boat is called FARRST FORWARD, owner is Rob & his mobile is [--] (if you ring from outside NZ I think you drop the first zero). Boat can take about 6 I think.
If you would like to contact me about any of these comments by all means do so. Another unusual attraction is the 'Giant's House' a beautifully restored old building in town (only open between 2pm & 4pm I think) with the most wonderful mosaic statues that will really stun you; I am not into this sort of thing usually but go have a look like I did & you will really be surprised. However a stay at ROOM WITH A VIEW would leave you with great memories of The Banks Peninsula, a wonderful experience of sharing stories with Rosemary & at a fantastic tariff. Many, many thanks Rosemary

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends