“Outstanding!!!!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Perth, Australia
“Outstanding!!!!!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We went here on saturday night to celebrate mine and a friends birthday.We booked 2 weeks prior and had a lovely table overlooking the water. The staff especially our indian waitress was just delightful, lovely sense of humour very attentive without being over the top and very knowledgeable.So much so that we left a $15 tip and that doesnt happen very often in Perth!!! Anyway about the food, I had the soft shell crab nori roll, it was excellent and was quite a large serve 2 people could have shared it. My friend had the scallops and said they were to die for. The men both had oysters and were equally impressed.For main I had snapper which the lovely waitress said they source the fish fresh everyday, she was not wrong and it was a beautifully cooked peice of snapper. 2 of us had this.My other freind had the fried whitting and chips, the waitress suggested a small serve as she wasnt to hungry, well there was nothing small about this and we saw the large serve heading for another table and it was huge!!!! this also did not dissapoint so well cooked and not greasy at all. We couldnt go dessert as we were all to full. We had coffees and they gave my friend and I some complimentary choclates as it was our birthdays.Also the wine suggested by the waitress was also excellent!!! I like many other reviewers was a little apprehensive about going back here as it was in the past very hit and miss but whatever has happened recently has really put this place up there!!! well done to all the staff.And as a note my friends had booked their daughters wedding reception there next June but didnt let on, so they are more than happy now they have tried the food!!!!!!

1 Thank Mandy J

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Business Lunch”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Fremantle Chamber of Commerce just had their biggest ever Business Luncheon (96 attendees) at the Red Herring. It was an excellent day with everyone commenting about the great atmosphere, delicious food and exceptional service. A big thank you to the Red Herring for providing us with such great hospitality! Safe to say we will be back! Would highly recommend this venue for business functions and networking events. Great Space!

1 Thank Ryan S
Perth, Australia
“Romantic evening on the SWan River”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My partner & I decided to go down memory lane for a special birthday evening. Neither of us had been back to the Red Herring for many years and it was the best choice we could have made.

The service was excellent, there is no better location sitting in a restaurant over the water on a rainy spring evening. The water was clear & silky smooth and the view towards lights of Fremantle Harbour & the local bridge was to die for.

Now the food experience that was something special. They have a resident Japanese chef that prepared the best Soft Shell Crab entrée I have had in a long time, this was accompanied by a dozen freshly shucked oysters & a couple of Bloody Mary Oyster Shooters. Fabulous

1 Thank Rosco49
Fremantle, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thoroughly Disappointing -Never Again”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We used to go here reasonably regularly, but hadn't been for a while. The service was extremely slow, the front of house staff were rude and unaccommodating. It took over 2 hours to get our main courses, which were over priced and very average when they finally arrived. A $9 fish & chip take away would have been better value. Fish was Tiny, chips barely cooked and the salad was a small heap of limp lettuce which was gritty! Food has gone up in price and down in quality. I wouldn't recommend it, thoroughly disappointing as this used to be one of our favourites.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We visited on a Saturday evening, and if had not booked would have had problems. The location would be best appreciated by daylight; we could only have a glimpse of its potential at night. The venue is a large rectangle split in two - one half function room, the other restaurant, overlooking the river. Decor is plain.

Service was excellent; our waitress was attentive and humorous. Food was also excellent - beautifully prepared and presented.

I can't comment on value for money, as I was being treated.

• Visited August 2013