“not great anymore”

Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

used to be a great value for mioney class fish place
now its opverpriced with rude unhelpful staff and the mains seem to run out after 7pm
avaid unless you dont want value for money

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Dined here twice so far for dinner. Generous & really tasty entrees (we ordered the squid entree & octopus salad entree...probably should have just ordered 1 entree between two because we started to get a bit full by the time our mains came around). Luckily our waiter discouraged us from ordering another side dish!

Plenty of free parking & nice to go for a stroll by the water before or after the meal.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My boyfriend wanted to take me out to a fancy romantic dinner and he chose the Red Herring. He got the idea to go from the entertainment book.

I will say the service was excellent. There was a woman there who took such good care of us, and let me taste a sip of one wine before ordering a bottle. That lady also kept my glass topped up nicely.

Also there were dolphins jumping around outside. The view over the water - even in the dark was nice.

Prices for food - the 3 mains that we ordered (one as a starter) were abou $36-$38 each. The
Prawn starter we shared (main size) was small, but tasted ok (i'm not huge on shrimp).

My main was salmon with mash and green beans.
The presentation - awful...no attempt to make it look gourmet or worth nearly $40. I couldn't believe it. Just a piece of fish on top of simple mashed potatoes with a few hard (undercooked or old) green beans to the side. My BF and I agreed the salmon we cook at home is better and my attempt at fancy presentation beats this non-attempt.

BF ordered seafood/fish curry. I tasted it, and I agreed with him - it was bland.

We had coffees after dinner, and they were good. The choc mousse was just average.

We were expecting a gourmet australian dining experience, but instead we got food that is not even as good as our home cooking! Maybe this means my cooking skills have improved.
Anyway, just because the food was surprisingly blah, we still had a nice night out.
I don't feel this food is worth the price...sorry but we won't be returning

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Red Herring is certainly in a lovely spot, but that's the best thing I can say about it. My husband and I went for a special Birthday dinner last month - however, there is nothing special about the food at all. Not much different to 'pub food' really. The service was OK but overall I have to agree with the comment that it is an expensive restaurant that it just not worth it.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Our last visit to the Red Herring will indeed be our last ever. Very busy night but they appeared short staffed. It was very very hot that night but we were nowhere near a fan, windows open but no breeze. We dripped sweat all night. It took almost half an hour before we were offered a drink. Very minimal gluten free options and menu doesn't tell you anything. Our entree came out without cutlery and then my steak was over cooked for my main. I could not order any seafood as none of their sauces or dressings were gluten free. After realising we weren't happy they offered me a free drink but on returning home and checking they charged us for it. So totally disgusted I wrote an email...they didn't even bother to reply. An expensive restaurant that is just not worth it.

1  Thank Teresa F