“HOME, ACTIVITY, FRIENDLY, CLEAN”

Pirates Backpackers Fremantle
Perth, Australia
“HOME, ACTIVITY, FRIENDLY, CLEAN”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The Pirates Crew and Hostel is just exceptional... crazy ;) Everyone welcomes you and I made friends (not only small talks) after a few hours. Cooking together and rock climbing were amazing experiences and made me feel being part of the whole young family. There are activities and special offers every day for those who want.
The rooms, kitchen and bathrooms are perfectly clean.
1st place Hostel in 4month travelling, especially for the good atmosphere!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 4, 2012

An absolutely sensational hostel. After an immediate urge to evacuate myself from Perth City and the scummy hostels there, I was relieved to find such a homely environment here at Pirates in Fremantle. It truly is a large, ever-changing family and no one fails to make you feel welcome. Vaughn, the owner, consistently operates and suggests weekly activities and is highly involved in ensuring that everyone is having the best time possible. While it may be smaller hostel, it is impressive that Vaughn knows everyone by name and doesn't hesitate to immediately introduce you to the entire crew. Good friends and even better memories were made here and I can't wait to return. It was truly difficult to leave!

If you wish to read an even more candid review, my blog surely has details listed throughout.
www.speakingofsam.com

Best of luck to Sarah and Vaughn who were unbelievably helpful!

Cheers!

Room Tip: Bring earplugs as people do admittedly stay away late on their days off of work and generally make a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Travelling in Australia mainly means sleeping in hostels...and trust me I have seen a lot of them. But truly, rising above all of them, is 'Pirates Backpackers' in Fremantle. The best and most unique backpackers I ever stayed in. The atmosphere is amazing, The staff is friendly and always there to help and it's perfectly located in Fremantle!

I stayed the last 2 months in 'Pirates', although my idea was to stay there max. 2 weeks...I didn't want to leave at all. The courtyard at the back of 'Pirates' is the place where everybody gathers to talk, laugh, share food and drinks or play pool. Every week plenty of activities are arranged for the guests, which makes it so each to meet new people and see something more from the West Coast of Australia. 'Pirates' is one of the smaller hostel I stayed in during my travelling, which makes it such cozy place and you feel like being part of a family, even though you are far away from home.

Next to all this, 'Pirates' is a clean hostel and the rooms are comfortable and nice.
The price and quality are in good balance and a stay in 'Pirates' is good value of your backpackers money!

Big Thanks to the Backpackers Crew, they made my stay SENSATIONAL...
I have some great new memories in my backpack to bring home!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Broome
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Arrived at Pirates hostel to meet Vaughan - the hostel owner. A great guy and truly made me feel welcome asking how I was settling in on my first week. I stayed at Pirates for 2 and a half months and honestly felt i didn't want to leave. Plenty of activities on every day of the week. Vaughan on some weeks will put on a boat trip to islands where no boat tour visits and somedays he may just offer for a group of people (for a small fee of course-But worth it 110%) to share a bottle of wine and a picnic on the front of his boat and watch the stars and dolphins swim by. Had some great memories here and life long friends made from every corner of the world. This Pirates Hostel is unique! I stayed at other hostels in Fremantle but, this is cheaper and the BEST hostel in Fremantle or I shall say Western Australia. Thank you for the memories and I'm sure you will continue on to impress and create excellent memories for others. Rossi

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Koh Tao, Thailand
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I don't know who had been writing the positive reviews of this place, but they clearly aren't bothered about the same things that I am. This might be your sort of place if you used to this sort of living, but it's not the place for us!

Just for the record, I have been travelling in South East Asia on a budget for five months before we arrived in Australia, and have been staying in places which were $5 per night, and no where has been as bad as this.

If you want to pay $29 for a bed in what can only be described as a hovel bedroom then this is probably the place for you. Whilst working in the UK I have come across homeless shelters with higher standards than this room.

The linen provided was old, stained and tired. It had been washed, but should have been replaced ages ago. The carpets in the dorms only get hoovered once a week and were dirty. When we arrived there was piles of peoples junk all over the dorm, and the bins were overflowing.

There were clearly very few rules which are adhered to in this hostel. One of the girls in our dorm brought back a "visitor" to her bunk. The visitor snored drunkenly all night. The man in the bunk below slept with a bottle of rum next to his head. The man above me slept with no sheet on the bed, fully dressed amongst his possessions and the man in the bunk opposite insisted on turning the light on at all hours of the morning to look for things noisily in his locker. Some of the guests gave the impression that they had dubious levels of personal hygiene if you know what I mean!

The lock on the dormitory didn't work during our stay. It was a combination entry code lock which didn't need a code (just turn the handle and you're in!!) and at around 9pm we found a very suspicous man walking around and I saw him trying our dorm handle (he wasn't staying in our room) and when I challenged him, he just said he was looking for the exit to the building (what? you're looking for the exit upstairs? on a door with a lock on it? ok.... whatever)

The bathrooms had dirty wet towels strewn around the floor which I can only assume were meant as bathmats? The kitchen was so dirty (when I checked at about 8pm and again in the morning about 10am) that I wouldn't consider using it.

The common room area below our room at the back of the hostel pumped out loud music until around 4am the next morning, the fellow residents clearly had no thoughts for those who didn't want to be away all the way through the night

I can't actually believe that people pay to live like this. We paid 33% less in a great location on the Gold Coast for a super clean self contained air conditioned apartment with en suite and kitchen.

On the upside, it's a great location in Freo which is a lovely little town. Also, I have to say that the girl who was working on reception the next morning was excellent. She helped us no end, was very apologetic and even helped us locate somewhere else to stay for the following night(another hostel down the road which was considerably better!)

I don't normally rant on on my reviews, but our stay in Freo could have been tarnished by this place and I don't want anyone else to experience the same.

Room Tip: On a similar budget, the Old Fire Station hostel near the train station was a LOT better.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
piratefreo, Owner at Pirates Backpackers Fremantle, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
It's a shame that the couple did not enjoy their stay.

The night in question was a Saturday night and St Patricks Day...meaning it was a busier and noisier night than most.

Prior to reading this review we actually sent the couple an email to apologise for the noisy night.

Their comment in relation to the door lock in their room has been rectified.

In relation to their other comments we make the following points ;
- The carpets are not "dirty" and are vacummed more than once a week.
- The bathrooms are cleaned daily and clean bathmats and hand towels are replaced twice daily
- The kitchen is cleaned daily and then checked throughout the day and night
- The linen is always provided to guests clean. On the rare occassion a guest has an issue with their linen, we simply replace it and if warranted, dispose of the linen in question.
- Their is a secure night door to the premises with a code for guests only.

It is a backpackers hostel and while we try our best, and we believe suceed, to keep it at a constant level of cleanliness and tidiness, there is still a responsibilty on the guests to do their part. We do not want to be constantly in the dorm rooms scolding people for leaving their belongings on the floor or leaving an empty cup on the kitchen sink, and we believe the guests do not want this either.

We also can not be everywhere all the time in the hostel, and this includes in a dorm room at night if people within the hostel share a bed. All we need is for the guest to let us know of their concerns at the time and we will do our total best to help them....because our goal truly is for people to have a brilliant stay at Pirates and enjoy the great place of Freo, Perth, Western Australia!
Reviewed February 24, 2012

This is the best backpacker I've stayed in! They have a great, friendly atmosphere, helpful staff and a perfect location in Fremantle. They also offer some nice trips for extremely good prices.

• Stayed February 2012
Lincs
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We spent a week at pirates recently, and its the only hostel where the owner really welcomed us, shook our hands, learned our names and showed us to our room!!!
Its a great location, and is really cheap. Good sized kitchen and loads of free movies to watch!
Activities organised daily too.
1 hr internet free for a 1 week booking was also good.
Only negatives for us were the super hot bedroom (could have done with 2 fans in there) and the vomit stained bathrooms which greeted us most mornings from the all night party goers, which we felt really sorry for the cleaners having to deal with that. Maybe the night manager could have tried to keep the noise down for the rest of us who werent up all night drinking.
All in all, thanks Pirates for a pretty chilled week in Freo!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple