“Happy Stay”

Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Fremantle
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We found the hotel very clean and comfortable and the staff very friendly and generous with their time, offering a warm welcome and some great tips for sights and restaurants. The location was great, right in the heart of Fremantle, so we were able to walk everywhere but we weren't bothered by any noise despite staying on Saturday night. The off street parking was also very useful, would happily recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Timothy B, General Manager at Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Andrew G

“Happy” is one word we definitely love the sound of when our guests describe us. We will share this with our team who will no doubt be very excited to read.

We look forward to your next “Happy” stay!

Warm Regards

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed 1 night as an intermediate stay over and found this hotel to be very clean and the staff very friendly. The hotel has a nautical them and we stayed in a cabin, although small it was all that was required for our purpose. The hotel is close to the cafe strip and other attraction. We will use this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Timothy B, General Manager at Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Tefenankh

Thank you for staying with us again at the Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle. We love that you enjoy the hotel and nautical theme and location! Thank you!

In case you would like to receive a monthly update of what is happening at the hotel (including accommodation specials) you can subscribe to our newsletter via VIP tab on ourhome page of our website.

Thanks again

Reviewed April 3, 2014

This boutique hotel is just behind the famous cappuccino strip. Fantastic location.
You can just walk to the fremantle market for shopping and then grab a cup of coffee to rest your tired feet after that.
The reception area is cosy and they provide free tea /coffee/ water for guest.
The private parking is just next door.
Rooms are a tad too small though. For the normal size room, there isn't much space to walk around after you put down your lugguages.
I upgrade to a bigger room to accommodate a rollaway bed. Think I paid about A$65 more(if my memory is correct). Think its worth it for the space.
Overall, hotel is good enough but I felt its not worth the amount of money paid.

Room Tip: GO5. Ground floor room no 5 is bigger in terms of size. Worth it to top up to get this room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Tiyo

Thank you for staying at the Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle. I'm sorry you didnt feel it was good value for money, but i can assure you we are less then other 4 star hotels in the area and offer extras such as free wifi, free nespresso coffee and tea, free chilled water in our VIP guest lounge, high end amenities and fruit daily, along with free wine and cheese for all guests every weekday in the bar area.

We thank you for your posititve review on other aspects of the hotel and we hope to see you again. Look out for great weekly specials on our facebook page or sign up for our VIP newsletter for even lower prices and specials on rooms.

We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We were not too impressed with the overall service provided by the hotel. Needed a power adaptor which we convey to the front desk and was assured it would be sent to our room when we were out to the fremantle market. Apparently it was not and I went down to the reception. The lady tried to look for one and could not find one.she told me to get it from the shop round the corner. I wasn't too convince as firstly I'm unfamiliar w the shops and would not want to go on a wild goose hunt in the blazing hot weather.She told me she can't help as she was the only one on duty.

Unfortunately, I left my baby cooker cable in the room and only realised it at margaret river.i rang the hotel and ask them to check the room but was told housekeeping had went home ard 4pm.they promised to convey the message and will ring me back the next day. Apparently didn't hear from them the next day and when I rang housekeeping had went home again. Finally got to ring a third time and was told the cable was found but they could not give a good reply why no one called me to inform. I made a request to send me the cable via courier to Perth and I'm prepared to pay for the courier charges. Front desk told me they can convey the message to housekeeping but can't promise it will be done as it is up to housekeeping if they want to do it

After much haggling, I decided to drive back to fremantle to collect the cable personally. Perhaps I'm asking for too much for a hotel that can ask your guest to purchase their own adaptor round the corner, to even request them to make it to the post office. This hotel seems to be run by housekeeping that are never contactable and always off work at peak time.

Other than the location, there is nothing to shout about on this hotel. I would stay with barrister suites located on the same street for my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Natisa30,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and bringing to light some customer service issues you faced. I'm sorry to hear that the service you received was not up to our usual standard and we have taken measures to try and address that with staff training. As you (and other readers) would see on other reviews, we pride ourself on friendly customer service and on this occasion we failed.

In regards to the baby cooker cable. We offered to put in the post that afternoon with our post run but was able to get to our local post office that minute as you requested. We would have had it in the post that afternoon. We should have been more understanding to your request and for this i apologies. Please note this is been addressed with the staff member concerned.

Thank you for your review and bringing this to light.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed there with my partner a couple of weeks ago, we arrived late on the first night and by that stage reception had closed but they had left my room key in a secure box next to the hotel entrance (which I had prearranged with them) so I had no issues getting to my room.

First impressions are good, beautiful character building all restored with semi exposed brick finish, reception area is nice but a little unusual- the reception desks double as a bar, the rooms were small but we had no issue with this as we were expecting a cabin style room as per their websites description, the bathrooms are really lovely; nice marble finish and an amazing rain shower.

Woke up the first morning with a very friendly note left under the door from reception saying that they hope we slept well and could we stop in at reception to finalise check-in at our convenience. The mattresses are very firm, borderline uncomfortable, so we didn't have the greatest nights sleep but the complimentary nespresso machine in the room soon relieved any tiredness.
After a great shower with the beautiful organic shower products provided we headed down to reception.
Check-in was really easy only took a couple of minutes and the receptionist was able to suggest somewhere really nice and local to go for breakfast and offered to research anything we'd like to do in Fremantle while we're there. We took advantage of the secure parking the hotel offers it does cost $22 a night which I think is incredible steep for an empty loose gravel open block next door with a security gate but there isn't really another option the only other parking I could see near by was ticket parking on the street.

During check in we found out about a "cheese and wine hour" the hotel offers every night from 5-6, included in the room price. We attended later that day the wine was delicious and it seemed to be very popular with the hotel guests I'd say there was 35-40 people in the lobby area we all had our glasses topped regularly, the only issue I had was there were only two little plates of cheese between that amount of people but for something that was included for free you can't really complain.
We checked out the following day with no problems, were told we could leave the car in the yard for the rest of the day if we wanted to stay in Fremantle longer, all in all a really pleasant stay...

And it just went downhill from there!!!

The day after checking out I had a look at the credit card I'd used on the room and the hougoumont had charged me $59.70 for no reason. I called the hotel, I called the hotel 6 times and left a voicemail message with no call back before finally they answered and the girl I spoke to said she could see what had happened and the person who had charged my account hadn't read the file notes and wasn't meant to charge anything and they would refund it.
Subsequently I was sent an email confirming they were refunding the amount, which I replied to and almost 3 weeks later am still awaiting a response. The money took 5 days to appear back in my account but was refunded.

Two weeks later the same charge was once again taken out of my account for no reason. I again called the hougoumont the receptionist I spoke to said she had no idea why it had happened again and didn't really sound as though she believed me. I was put on hold while she spoke to a manager, when she came back on the line she said they don't know what had happened it must have been an accounts issue and they would refund the money again, and it would be in that night. I said last time it took 5 days for a refund and she assured me it would be in my bank that afternoon. It was a complete lie, with bank processing times there was no way that would happen and she just wanted to get me off the phone.

Again it took 5 days for the overcharge to be credited to my account, ultimately the issues only came about when I had checked out of the hotel and because of this I felt there was a complete lack of desire to resolve these issues. On both occasions when I actually managed to get through to reception they just couldn't wait to get me off the phone and blamed the accounts department. I barely received an apology and to overcharge me again 2 weeks after check out was just a disgrace. Even though we had a nice stay I feel very disappointed overall and wouldn't recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Timothy B, General Manager at Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Lauren M,

It is regretted that an error occured and you got overcharged for your stay.

You will appreciate we handle up to 80 guests a day and i can assure you this isnt an ongoing issue. We actually had issues with the third party website you booked though who informed us we should charge the full amount and didnt remove their commision. This since has been fixed.

You were not given conflicting information by reception, as i was sitting next to her as you spoke with her and she informed you that the money would leave "our account today". Which it did.

We thank you for your generous comments in relation to the rooms, staff services and the general message within our email, which clearly stated overall you had a good expereince. We are very sorry for the mistake of over charging and we can assure you this will not happen again. I do however feel that a "1 star" is very harsh considering overall you have made comments that you have had a great stay other then the credit card issue which was resolved.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Great hotel for work/sightseeing in Fremantle. We stayed in a stateroom for one Saturday night. spacious room, however no bar area for making coffee/tea, you have to use the desk and there was no kettle but had to use nespresso machine that leaked everywhere! No major drama. Bathroom huge but no bath. Can open windows which is nice. We stayed at the esplanade a few weeks ago and found the room better appointed but a bit dirty and old. Beautifully restored building , very fashionable!

• Stayed: March 2014
Timothy B, General Manager at Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Sanity Space,

We appreciate the time taken to post your review. We are pleased that you found our rooms spacious. It is regretted that you were inconvenienced by Nespresso Coffee Machine Leaking. This has been replaced already. Furthermore we have, since reading your comments, put a small kettle in every room as well as the Nespresso Machine. We are a very different property to the Esplanade, who have a stunning hotel as well, but we are very happy to read that you find our hotel "beautifully restored" and "very fashionable".

Thanks again and we do hope to see you again on your next trip to Fremantle.

Hotel General Manager

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding in Fremantle. As discussed in previous reviews rooms are quite small however perfect if you plan to get out and about during the day. Enjoyed the free nibbles and drinks between 5-6pm. Staff very accommodating. Good little cafe opposite (The Attic) with nice breakfast and coffee.

Hello Sharn P,

Fantastic review and we thank you most sincerely for making the effort to post your comments. Thrilled that you enjoyed the inhouse guest cocktail hour of our near by restaurants. Our staff are our most important asset and i am very happy to read your comments regarding staff. Our rooms are small but we do offer all guests great service and everything they could need for a few nights in Fremantle.

Thanks again.