“Freemantle Jail Tour”

and up
Fremantle Self-Guided Audio Tour
Ranked #1 of 82 things to do in Fremantle
More attraction details
Owner description: Fremantle Prison is one of Western Australia’s premier tourist attractions and the only World Heritage listed building in the State.The Prison was built by convicts in the 1850s and was used as a place of incarceration for almost 140 years. With solitary cells and gallows Fremantle Prison is a monument to a system of punishment that is uncomfortably recent. Fremantle Prison now holds the key to history, mystery and fun. Step inside and do time with experienced guides on a fascinating Prison Day Tour. Explore the labyrinth of tunnels 20m beneath the Prison by foot and by boat on a Tunnels Tour adventure. Feeling brave? Delve into the darker side of the Prison’s history on an eerie Torchlight Tour.
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Freemantle Jail Tour”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We just did the Doing Time tour which was well worth it and made interesting by Peter the guide who interspersed fact with humour. The kids particularly enjoyed it when Peter had them taking part. I would like to do the Great Escape tour as I imagine it will be very good.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Doing time has never been so interesting.”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My hubby & I took the kids (2 x girls 10 & 5 1/2) for one of the day tours. We opted for the 'Doing Time' one which was well worth braving the 37 degree heat for

Our guide Peter was funny, informative and best of all held our kids attention throughout the entire hour and a quarter (was dreading the 'I'm bored' moment, but it never came). We learnt some really interesting things about WA's history which I never knew. The only part we weren't sure about was taking the girls to the Gallows room. Visitors were not pressured to enter this section if they didn't want to.

I'm keen to take a night tour, or tunnel tour to see a different aspect to the prison.

I'd happily recommend this attraction.

Tip: phone and prebook the tour to save disappointment or waiting longer than necessary.

Warning: there are some stairs to climb for this tour although I understand 70% of it is wheel chair & pram accessible.

1 Thank SalCam586
FremantlePrison, A/Marketing and Events Manager at Fremantle Prison, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Hi SalCam586,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.

I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your Doing Time Tour despite the heat.

Our Tour Guides love receiving feedback and I will be sure to pass your review onto Peter.

Hopefully you’ll have an opportunity to visit us in the future, I’m sure you would love the Torchlight or Tunnels tours as mentioned (although the kids are still a little young for these ones – something to look forward to..!)
Johannesburg
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Prison Tour DownUnder 2012”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

When I heard that the tour (there are 4 different tours - we took the standard one) would last for an hour and a quarter, I thought I'd get bored and I certainly thought it would be too long for the family (wife and 3 bous (24, 22 & 16). On the contrary, the tour was interesting and went quickly and all of us enjoyed the experience. For visitors to Fremantle, this tour is a must.

Visited December 2012
FremantlePrison, A/Marketing and Events Manager at Fremantle Prison, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Hi willierJohannesburg,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review.

I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your tour at Fremantle Prison.

Time does certainly fly by especially when you are cramming 136 years of history into an hour and 15 minutes..!

Hopefully you’ll have an opportunity to take one of the other tours if you ever find yourself in Fremantle again.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Brilliant tour.”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I don't generally do guided tours, but I decided to give this one a go and I was very pleasantly surprised. The knowledgeable guide on the 'Doing Time' tour made it extremely interesting and the prison itself has a fascinating history. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Perth, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Sad reflection on our past”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

It is a great reminder of how criminals were once viewed by our imperial settlers. Compared to today's prisoners life was very spartan and austere.