“Vibrant and busy - enjoyed our meal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portorosa

Portorosa
Reserve with
Portorosa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 325 Restaurants in Fremantle
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Right in the heart of Fremantle, Portorosa is the Italian Restaurant you don't expect. Using the best available local ingredients, our Chef creates a seasonal menu featuring classic dishes, bursting with a great Sicilian flavor. Our menu is based on the Italian tradition of preparing food. We combine simplicity with the best ingredients of the season, including high quality olive oil, locally grown local vegetables and fruits, and seasonal specials of seafood, poultry, meat and game. In addition to the regular menu, our specials menu features a variety of soups, antipasti, pasta and main courses.
Scotland, UK
“Vibrant and busy - enjoyed our meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Had an excellent meal here mid October 2013. Very busy, buzzing and noisy. Food was good, tasty and fresh.Great atmosphere but not a place for a quiet chat or romantic evening out.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Very good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I had to go to Fremantle on a short job both last week and the week before. When I go somewhere for a whistle-stop tour, I generally eat in the hotel. However, I know Freo fairly well from my days at sea and I know there's a fair size Italian contingent there.

I was there on 23rd October and went for a wander up market street, took a turn and stumbled across Portorosa. It was pretty full, especially for a midweek night - that to me is always a good sign. The young lady at the door asked if I wanted a seat; before taking a place, I asks if calzone was on the menu and it was but only in vegetarian style. I point blank refuse to eat vegetablist food; as far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't have meet then it's desert! I asked for an alternative and was politely declined. I was about to spin on my heel when a lady, who I assumed to be the head waitress/manager/owner, appeared and asked if there was a problem? When I told her what I wanted, she told me that everything was possible and dragged me off to a table. I picked a pizza I wanted and asked for it to be turned into a calzone and twenty minutes later, there it was. It was absolutely to die for. In fact, I was so impressed I went back last week (31st October) for the same again.

My second visit was actually more impressive. I didn't finish work until very late in the evening and although I turned up at Portorosa at closing time, the staff recognised me from the previous week and showed me to a table.

In short, the food is excellent food and I had service to match.

I'm seriously hoping to get sent back to Fremantle on another job, the sooner the better. I shall most certainly return to Portorosa - what better recommendation is there than that?

1 Thank Paul D
athlone
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average food, extremely poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We ate here tonight after a day in the city, arriving at 9:45. Usually eat in Sandrino next door but decided to try somewhere different, We were seated by a lovely lady and given menus. As a waitress walked by I asked her for a drinks menu to which she replied "no" before grabbing one off the next table. I understand being familiar with customers, and joking around (I am a waitress myself) however I would't bark no at anyone no matter how well I knew them. She had an extremely abrupt and rude manner while we were ordering, and seemed pretty clueless about the menu (didn't know if they had gluten free pizza bases). Ordered arrancini to start (shared) and two pizzas for mains. We waited a few minuted for our drinks, and when they came I got lemon lime bitters rather than soda lime bitters which I ordered. I called a waitress aside and asked her very nicely to change it, which was no problem. She obviously informed the original waitress of the mix up, and she subsequently came to our table, asked me what I had ordered and argued with me for over a minute saying that she watched the bartender make my drink, that it was what I had ordered and did I want it or what. I felt extremely intimidated and if my partner hadn't already gotten and drank part of his drink at that stage we would have left. I am not overly picky but I fell that having ordered a drink I expect to get what I ordered without aggression. She came back with the replacement drink, and said 'hopefully this will be better' said thank you and placed it beside me. She then demanded that I taste it as she stood over me, then grunted after I said it was fine (it was still far too sweet but wasn't worth the arguement)

Arrancini were quite soggy and tasteless when they came out, however the pizzas were good. My seafood pizza had very little seafood, but the bases were nice. Overall the food was okay but the service from this lady alone would put me off EVER going again. I have never before given a negative review focusing on staff, as I understand that it can be stressful at times, however this lady was the rudest waitress I have ever dealt with, here or abroad.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank laursie
Perth
“Blah, Blah, Blah”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We usually eat at Sandrino's next door but thought we'd try Portorosa.

PRO'S

- Service was excellent
- Shared Wood fired pizza very nice

CON's

- Other food was just ok tasting.( We had seafood Risotto and Morton Bay Bug pasta.
- Service sizes were smallish.
- Prices were a little pricey for what you get.

Would I return???.....only if Sandrino's was full.........!!!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“Italian Adventure In Freo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Simply put it, everything we ordered here was excellent, from the seafood marinara, to the vongole, risotto etc... Service was excellent and the price extremely affordable based on the portions you get. A definite must try if you need a quick Italian Fix

• Visited August 2013