“Trading on its reputation?”

Sala Thai Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 339 Restaurants in Fremantle
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Perth, Australia
“Trading on its reputation?”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Sala Thai is an institution in Fremantle and we have been many, many times over the years and it used to be a regular haunt. We went recently on a Friday night with friends and think it is about a year since we were last there. We booked for 6.30 and I was running late. With 3 of 4 at the restaurant by 6.40pm, they were told we had to be out by 8pm. I arrived at 7pm with my entree chosen for me on the table. Sala Thai is fully licensed but allows BYO at $8 per bottle. Varied entrees were considered to be good by all - prawn wraps are recommended. Main was not bad - deep fried whole barramundi in tamarind sauce - tasty (we have had this many times before), but this time it was $65 (no-one on the table knew the price charged - 'market price'?). Another main was duck salad - which was a very ordinary, predominantly iceberg lettuce salad with a sliced single duck breast in a very sweet and only vaguely Thai dressing that lacked any hint of freshness/ zing at a rather pricey $29.90. Only one other main of pork stir fry and despite bringing our own drinks, with no dessert and a rushed Friday night dinner, we got a bill close to $200 for 4. Not a bad meal, but you can do much better than this, even in Fremantle.

• Visited April 2013

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Loved it”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

A small restaurant with very attentive service.
The food was excellent. I had the NEUA YANG NAM TOK (Grilled Marinated Beef served with Spicy Hot Sauce). This particular dish comes with a health warning - it is HOT!!!! - but that's the way I like it is was delicious.

Visited March 2013
Australia
“Delicious Thai in the heart of Freo”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Sala Thai is really delicious and for those of you who are gluten-intolerant, they offer most meals gluten-free or can sometimes make them gluten-free upon request.
I highly recommend the Red Duck Curry, Garlic & Pepper Prawns and the Chef's Special Prawns with Cashews in Tamarind & Dry Chilli sauce - all of these dishes were fantastic, as was the fried tofu as entree (not greasy or oily, very light tempura-like batter and beautifully cooked). They don't offer coconut rice which I do find a little strange as most Thai restaurants do, but this is just me being picky. None of us could fault the food at all and enjoyed regular visits whilst living in Perth. I highly recommend you try Sala Thai!

• Visited February 2013
Perth, Australia
“Lovely Thai dinner”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Six of us including two children went to this lovely restaurant for a birthday dinner on a week night. We were greeted at the restaurant entrance (I assume by the manager) and shown to our table. We had plastic chairs at our table (which wasn't a problem) however he got two cushions for my children to sit on. Service during the evening was consistent and friendly. I had the Thai beef salad which was full of flavour- yum!

I brought a cake, which after dinner they brought to table (with out me asking) with lit candles, once blown out they took cake and cut portions and delivered to our table.

We Will be back.

Perth
“Love Sala Thai!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Fantastic find! Up a quiet street in Fremantle, enjoy a delicious meal and great service from Sala Thai. Would definitely recommend.

• Visited August 2012