“Felt like home”

Pier 21 Apartment Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Fremantle
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I booked a week stay with my partner as holiday to see what Perth had to offer. On check-in the lovely receptionist greeted us with a smile and was happy to give us some local knowledge of places we must visit. Our room was on the ground floor and looked out to the river, this was a great view but wished I had asked for a room on level one as the views would have been even better. After having a great night sleep we headed for breakfast. This is where it felt like home. The same staff were there most days and remember our names and what we had spoke about the previous days. Asking how our days were suggesting things to do when on Rottnest island as we had planned a trip there. On check-out we were able to meet the General Manger. Tim was really interested in how our stay was and if there was anything that could have made out stay better. We had one of the best weeks holiday. You don't get this sort of service from big hotels. Thanks to all the staff at Pier 21 for their hospitality.

Room Tip: Level 1 has better views of the river.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ross G
Tim N, General Manager at Pier 21 Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear Ross,

Greetings from the team at Pier 21 and a sincere thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Pier 21. By all accounts it sounds like you had a wonderful holiday and I was especially happy to read that you 'felt like home' during your stay, surely some of the best feedback we could receive.

I was also glad to read that you had the opportunity to visit Rottnest Island which is no doubt one of the jewels of the Western Australian coast. Readers of your review might be interested to know that we offer a fantastic Fremantle and Rottnest Island package including accommodation at both destinations along with transfers to and from the island amongst other valuable inclusions, anyone wishing to know more about this package and other specials are invited to visit our fabulous website.

Thanks again Ross and I trust we will have the opportunity of welcoming you and your partner back to Pier 21 in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Pier 21 Apartment Hotel

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We booked a riverside suite for our wedding and had a gorgeous room with views across the river. The backdrop looked fabulous in our photos while getting ready. The decor of the room was very modern and was immaculately clean. I have to say the shower was amazing! The staff went out of their way to make our stay very special and met any of our extra requests very quickly. We also enjoyed both of our breakfasts while staying at the hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Perth.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms on the river side.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Gemma,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Pier 21. The team were very much appreciative of your comments and thrilled to know that they played their small part in ensuring you had a memorable day.

We would certainly love to welcome you back on your anniversary and I would be delighted if you were to email me directly so I can assist with any booking request you may have (gm@pier21.com.au).

Thank you again Gemma and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the new year, till then I wish you every happiness and success.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I made the reservation over the phone which I recommend because the lady provided me with lots of helpful information and matched the rate I found on the internet.
All the staff we found very friendly and helpful. You feel like a true valuable guest.
They know a lot about the area and the public transport and even booked a Rottnest ferry for us (and arranged a hotel pick up!), how convenient.
We did not have a car but the bus and train services are regularly and only a 10 minute walk.

The room was beautiful, the surroundings of the hotel are so peaceful and romantic.
The breakfast in the morning was really good as well, lots of different options.
We will be back next year!

Room Tip: Ask for river view!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Tim N, General Manager at Pier 21 Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Parker81,

Greetings from the team at Pier 21 and thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. It was wonderful to read that you found the team 'very helpful' and felt like a 'true and valuable guest', for myself and the team this is the best feedback we could receive.

I was also glad to read that the reception team were able to assist with arrangements to visit Rottnest Island and would wholeheartedly recommend this trip to anyone visiting Fremantle, the island is no doubt one of the jewels of the Western Australian coast.

Thank you again for choosing Pier 21 for your accommodation requirements, it was certainly our pleasure to look after you and trust that we will have the privilege of welcoming you back again next year.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We chose this place based on Tripadvisor rating. Unfortunately we were disappointed and thought the hotel grossly overpriced. Firstly we prebooked on line some weeks earlier and then discovered the online rate a few days before our scheduled stay was $80 a night cheaper. On checking in we decide to upgrade to a Riverside suite at a cost of $385 per night. The first suite we were shown to looked out on the concrete wall of the next door building with a tiny glimpse of the river through shrubbery from the bedroom window. We then moved to room 20 which had a much better view.
The towels provided were very thin. On our second night we had 2 bath towels only, no face or hand towels. The bedroom door catch was broken so the door could not be fully closed. There was a Nespresso machine but only one expresso cup. On top of the inflated price you have to pay $20 per day for internet.
The service on check in and out was efficient but perfunctory, no friendliness asking how our stay was etc.
We travel frequently and this place was well below par in service and facilities for the price paid. For this reason I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Susan M
Tim N, General Manager at Pier 21 Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Susan M,

Greetings from the team at Pier 21 and thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. I was glad to read that you enjoyed the view from you room however I must admit was surprised to read some of your other comments and would like to address them below.

I noted in your review that the rate you paid initially was actually higher than that on offer a short time prior to your arrival and was delighted to read that our reservationist was able to reduce this in line with the current advertised price which of course we are happy to do for all direct bookings. In most cases though you will find that the best rates are generally on offer well in advance but on the rare chance this is not the case you can be assured of the lowest rate by simply choosing to book though our fabulous website. And while you’re visiting the site you can also discover a myriad of information on Fremantle and it’s iconic attractions and events.

In relation to your request to upgrade to one of our beautiful Riverside Suites we received your email the day prior to arrival and we were delighted to offer you this room also at our promotional rate. I was also happy to read that the team were able to offer you the choice of two Suites and that you were able to select the room with your preferred water view.

Readers may also be interested to know that you never need to pay for internet, simply choose an inclusive rate through our website and you can be assured of ‘unlimited’ access included in the one low rate.

Thank you again for offering your feedback it was no doubt disappointing to read that you had mixed feelings about your stay but I hope that when you next require accommodation in Fremantle you will again think of Pier 21 and wish you safe future travels.

Regards,

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Accommodation was clean and tidy and practical with views over the river but for the prices I would expect more.
Food in the breakfast room was ok.....The Asian 'Chef' totally overpowered the whole cooked breakfast with salt. The other guy previous days was ok and very friendly and polite. The fruit was very nice but cereals side a bit of a let down and I have never been in a Hotel that has no brown sugar for coffee and makes no effort to rectify it.....poor service.
Having to pay for internet is hard to take and when it is as poor as this Hotel's it is actually bordering on embarrassing.....but no-one seems to give a hoot and they are protective over the whole internet thing until you pay for it.....as on arrival asked if they had it.....'no, only in the rooms' was the answer.
Did not use the pool as it was postage stamp size and very crowded with the marine residents and their guests.....
There can be a lot of noise at night as parties are frequent in the vicinity but all in all, bearable.
In future if I came back I think I would look for something that actually was value for money as I am afraid for the price of this place......Punching over it's weight I feel.

Room Tip: For same money I am sure there is better around.....try that!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Tim N, General Manager at Pier 21 Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear peterhone,

Greetings from the team at Pier 21 and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Overall though it sounds like you had mixed feelings and I apologise for any areas we may have fallen short. I have taken the liberty of passing on your feedback to our Chef and again apologise for any food that was not to your liking, we would have of course graciously prepared a new meal if requested.

I also noted your concern regarding the hotel internet service and regret that we were un able to resolve the issues with your connection, the hotel is lucky enough to enjoy a very high speed internet service that is easily capable of providing every user a high quality experience, unfortunately even the best systems can present the occasional problem and I apologise that there seemed to be a compatibility issue with your machine. Readers maybe be interested to know that they can easily avoid any internet charges by simply booking one of the many inclusive rates available on the hotels website and for those guests who prefer a room only rate we are introducing fantastic new pricing that not only costs less but also increases any limits, so there’s bound to be a cost effective package perfect for you needs.

It was also disappointing to read that you were unable to enjoy the hotels pools but would like to assure readers of your review that all facilities including the hotels pools are for the sole use of hotel guests and generally provide sufficient space and sun lounges for any guest that would like to use them. A no partly policy is also strictly enforced so all guests can be assured of a relaxing and enjoyable time during their stay with us.

Thank you again for taking the time to offer your feedback it will certainly be put to good use and I trust that we will be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed December 26, 2013

These apartments are located in North Fremantle, with sea views in the pier. The neighborhood looks very fancy and beautiful but you need car to go around or to Freo city centre.
We spent three nights there, during Christmas holidays, and we really love the place. The rooms are big and comfortable, with a balconny to the pier offering sea views, small kitchen, fridge, big tv and a bath/shower bathroom. Also you have a small outdoor pool, another small indoor pool with a jacuzzi, tennis court, gym and a restaurant.
On the other hand, I think they are two negative things to take care:
- the room rates are really expensive, we paid $195 per night (it was a special online rate disccount). Considering it's not in the city centre I think is quite expensive (but the apartments worths it, just for the location)
- the internet, I don't understand how customers needs to pay for the internet connection. And, even if it isn't complimentary, $11,95 per hour I think is out of market.

Dispite of these two things, we really enjoyed our stay there, the staff are very friendly and helpfull and the rooms and location is wonderful.
Enjoy your stay there!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Xaviur
Tim N, General Manager at Pier 21 Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Xaviur,

Greetings from the team to our friends in Spain it’s wonderful to know that so many guests from around the world are choosing to stay at Pier 21. I would also like to pass on our thanks for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community, its positive reviews like yours that encourage more readers to choose Pier 21 and I sincerely appreciate your endorsement.

It certainly sounds that overall you were able to enjoy many aspects of the hotel and I was especially delighted to read that you really 'loved the place' and found the staff to be 'very friendly'. I also noted your feedback regarding our room rates and was glad to read that although you believed they were quite high that overall they were worth it. You will also be glad to know that we have recently reviewed our internet pricing and decided that we will not only reduce the price but also increase the associated limits giving our guests even better value. Readers might also be interested to know that they never need to pay for internet, simply choose one of the many rates available on the hotels website that offer it for free. By booking through the website you can also be assured of the best rates and packages guaranteed.

Thank you again for your review and I trust that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We booked Pier 21 for two nights for our wedding and it was very good. The rooms are very well appointed and the huge bed was incredibly comfortable. The block out blinds were amazing and allowed us to have a sleep-in. In the morning, we drew back the curtains and opened up to a beautiful view of the river, it was a real treat.

We made use of the pool and bbq facilities, both of which were very good. The one downside is that the complex doesn’t have direct access to the water front. You have to walk out past reception and walk around the resort in order to get to the park that is infront of the resort – this was really disappointing and really inconvenient as we wanted to sit on the grass while we ate the food we cooked on the bbq.

There are some other minor picky points – the hot water in the shower was too (scolding) hot and there were no toothbrush/toothpaste in the bathroom amenities.

I would highly recommend Pier 21.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TamaraW10,

It's wonderful to hear from our friends in Japan and I extend a sincere thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Pier 21. It certainly sounds like you had an enjoyable time and It's rewarding to know that we were able to play our small part in ensuring your wedding was a memorable one.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding access to the water side of the property, although there are several apartments and suites that feature riverfront access we do have plans to establish a new walk way which will provide all of our guests with direct access to the water and trust we will have this finalised in the near future.

It was certainly our pleasure to host you and I trust that when you next travel to Fremantle you will again consider Pier 21 for your accommodation and I look forward to welcoming you back then.

Tim Newson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fremantle
Be. Fremantle
East Perth
Fraser Suites Perth
Fraser Suites Perth
#12 of 66 in Perth

Been to Pier 21 Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!