“Heaven On Earth” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 22 Fremantle B&B and Inns
perth
“Heaven On Earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2008

After an exhausting wedding day it was a breath of fresh air to come to Fothergills for our honeymoon. Not only was the accomodation absolutely beautiful and comfortable but the staff were warm, friendly and inviting. We were greeted as we arrived and our room which held a beautiful four poster carved bed with views overlooking the ocean and Fremantle was just perfect. We had all the privacy we needed and lots of room to relax and just enjoy. Breakfast was sooo good. We will definitely be returning to Fothergills in the future and wish to thank all the staff there for everything they did to make our stay both enjoyable and memorable. We have stayed many places before but can see that Fothergills will soon become our favourite. Thank you again. Matt and Lisa Clarke

Stayed November 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Pusan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

I love travelling so this Feb, i travelled Perth and Fremantle with my husband for 8 days. My Korean friend recommended Fothergills of Fremantle to me. I wrote Suzy(manager) about my booking via e-mail and she replied very quickly and politely.

When my husband and i arrived at Fothergills, Suzy warmly welcomed us. Surprisingly, she greeted us saying hello in korean.

For 8 days, we stayed at the Samson room which was well decorated with fantastic paintings. The room was so comfortable that we slept everynight very well.

Suzy and Tasha cooked delicious breakfasts for us and Mr.Cooke(the owner) kindly showed us his art collection. It was awesome!

We really enjoyed staying at Fothergills and we are planning to stay Fothergills again within 2 years.

I would like to strongly recommend this B&B to travellers....

• Liked — comfortable room, friendly staff, yummy breakfasts
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Aalborg, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

Friendly and helpful staff and relaxed atmosphere. Clean and nicely decorated rooms. Nice breakfast. Good location with only five minutes to Fremantle city centre by foot.

• Liked — Location and atmosphere
  • Disliked — Traffic noise from nearby road
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Navarra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

“B&B” falls short at categorizing Fothergills. Both components are top notch, but the remainder of the place and people adds a good deal to that. I spent ten days there while on a tight conference schedule, and the place became a very welcome relaxing haven. My room (Samson) was very large, complete with sofa, armchairs, fireplace, and uncommon quality furniture. A westward terrace overlooking the city and the Indian Ocean afforded gorgeous sunsets, adding to the enjoyment of some of the few thousands (literally) books in a section of the proprietor’s library just outside my room, well stocked with local, travel, geography, and other genres. He (David) and his staff (Kyi, Suzie, and Tasha) were truly friendly and helpful throughout my stay, suffering my frequent nights at work when I took hold of the breakfast conservatory for max wifi link--my room was farthest from the access point and the link was somewhat weak. We enjoyed delightful chats and wine, and the other guests at the superb breakfast table were just as nice and, either seasoned travellers coming from all over the world or young couples on a weekend outing from the city, quite interesting as well. Almost as interesting were also the many art pieces (yes, originals) scattered all over the place, including the rooms and the garden, from David’s own collection. Indeed, staying there was, as others have commented, much like coming over and old friend’s home.
There was one single less-than-bright spot. It was not the distance to Fremantle’s center, which I found was basically no issue (a mere 10-minute walk to restaurants and shops at my stride), neither the tariff, which seemed good value to me in view of what was in it, and I got one night free because of a long stay. However, Ord Street appears to be a major commuter trunk and supports some traffic in early morning. Silence freaks or oversleepers may find Samson and another room on the terrace (O’Connor I believe) a bit noisy on weekdays, whereas the other two rooms face inland and may be quieter. Double glazing doesn’t seem to be as common in that latitude as it is in mine, but retrofitting it should certainly help subdue the road noise.
In my profession (science) it is common to travel often and far, although less so to return to more than a few chosen places around the world. But I should certainly try to add this one to that short list.

• Liked — All
  • Disliked — Street
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Arctosouros
Tainan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2008

When I decided to reward myself with a short vacation, I wanted something different from the usual chain hotel that looks pretty much the same everywhere in the world. Fothergills is like a breath of fresh air in that it's more like staying with a close, caring friend than just a B&B. The owner put a lot of thought into all the smallest details, and the rooms are truly exquisite.

I came down with the flu on the second of my stay. To my surprise, the lady who was in charge (I think her name was Suzie..?) brought me breakfast in bed...along with some aspirin! She didn't have to do that, but it was a sweet and thoughtful gesture that worked like a miracle medicine, as I was back on my feet in record time.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels and have ordered more room service than I can remember, but this has to be the most special one of all. Nothing can compare to someone doing that little something extra for you when you're thousands of miles away from home. Keep up the good work, Fothergills! :-)

• Liked — The personal touch, warmth and hospitality.
  • Disliked — Can't find anything I dislike!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank gingerbread_genie
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2008

Having read the glowing reviews my expectations were high. The rooms are indeed beautiful, the location not bad.
However, the way I was treated by the staff goes beyond anything I have ever experienced before. I will not go into details, but I was insulted, treated extremely poorly and made to feel most unwelcome. I travel frequently and am usually happy with my surroundings. Not at Fothergills! I assume that they will attempt to characterise me as some kind of lunatic- I am a professional person with successful relationships and an extremely happy life. Unfortunately, my stay in Fremantle was spoiled by their lack of understanding of the concept of hospitality.

• Liked — The physical environment is beautiful
  • Disliked — The staff ( excluding the charming breakfast lady)
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank fashmag
FothergillsFremantle, Owner at Fothergills of Fremantle, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
It is disappointing to read such a review as it tells only half a story. There was indeed a difference of opinion with my manager as the guest appeared in the office very agitated about her inability to connect to our wirless internet. She interrupted whilst another guest was being attended to and was asked to wait a moment. She was understandably upset as she had an important lecture to give the following day and needed to bring her presentation up to date. Unfortunately it seemed that her laptop was not wireless capable. To calm her down I telephone a nearby restaurant and sent her off to supper (with the food and wine entirely at my expense) whilst I tried to sort her computing problem out. It is sad that this gesture which I thought quite generous is reported as being treated poorly and made unwelcome.
David Cooke, Proprietor
Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

More than a B&B. Fothergills is like staying in a friend's home. The rooms and buildings are superbly decorated so that you feel both comfortable and aesthetically pleased!
The uniqueness of Fothergills is beyond description. My wife and I have traveled Asia and the US extensively and we know there will never be another stay quite to the level of Fothergills. We will be back!
D&M

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — Clothes washing time limited
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple