“Best Hostel”

Old Fire Station Backpackers Fremantle
“Best Hostel”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

It's the best Hostel i've been during my stay in Australia!!
There is everything you need! Good kitchen equipment (even an oven), TV room, Free Pool Billiard and Ping Pong! Lot of activities and there are always friendly and funny backpackers...so it's never boring in the OFS!!
The staff is really friendly and helpful! But the most importent point is that i got a lot of good Jobs at the reception!!
All in all it was an experience i won't forget! I really liked it to stay there and i will definitly miss it!

• Stayed March 2014
Oldfirestation, Manager at Old Fire Station Backpackers Fremantle, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Pegoz93,
wow! what a review... reading comments like yours make us so proud and give us so much energy to come up with new ideas to keep up the OFS spirit.
And we are very happy we were able to assist you finding some jobs.
Have a great stay in Australia and we really hope to see you soon!
Ciao.
OFS staff

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Stuttgart
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

The vibes in there were good from the very first moment I went in there and it constantly increased. The staff took the time and showed me around what I prefer than just telling me in a sentences without even standing up behind the reception desk where what is. it was the first hostel I stayed in so I didn't know to appreciate it as much as I should, the longer I traveled and stayed in different hostel the more I realised how amazing the ofs is. You never feel lonely, it's made for socialising, you can't escape. The location is good too, close to the train/bus station, supermarket and everything else you need. It's all in one, relaxing lounge, night club, restaurant, cinema, family and more. If you don't believe me, go there and you'll see, but be careful you might get problems with leaving cause it's just too good. So now stop wasting your time with reading and book it!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Oldfirestation, Manager at Old Fire Station Backpackers Fremantle, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Hi Johnny F
thanks for your great review!
We are so happy and proud you felt the real OFS vibe.
Yes you totally right, we try to create the all in one experience for you guys from the home away from home to the cool dance club passing through cineama nights and quiet events!
We really hope to see you back!
Ciao

OFS staff
Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed longer than 3 months in that hostel and after the first week it felt like my second home! I really liked the atmosphere in that hostel...the staff was really friendly and did everything that you feel like home. I stayed in the girls area which was really really nice. You have your own kitchen, bathroom, toilets and living room. The rooms are big enough and you have a lot of space for youre stuff.
The location is perfect...it is just a 2 minute walk into town or 2 minutes and you're directly at the beach. You also have a bus station for the free bus in front of the hostel.
Fremantle is a beautiful place to stay and work.
I really enjoyed my time here and i definitely know that i will come back one day!!!
If you wanna meet a lot of nice peolpe and have crazy parties in fremantle...than come to the Old Fire Station and enjoy youre time :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Steffi S,
thanks for the great review!
And most of all thanks for... You!
We already miss you, and we really hope to see you soon back in our family.
Take care, enjoy your travels and come back home safe.
Ciao.
Riccardo and OFS staff!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Location is good, though can be noisy. There was no AC in the room I was in, just noisy fans. Quite druggy atmosphere outside in the sitting area, and I think it goes beyond smoking weed. That said, I had no security issues here, and the hostel was generally clean.

But, I have to say, a major problem for me was the rudeness of certain staff. In the first instance, I went to a fridge to get a cereal bar from my bag during the time the kitchen was 'closed' for cleaning. In effect this meant there was a yellow chain around the open kitchen area. I think it had just closed, as the floor wasn't wet and a couple of staff were chatting, not cleaning. But when one saw me getting my cereal bar she marched over and snapped that the 'kitchen was closed'. I said I understood but that I was just getting something from the fridge (the whole trip to the fridge took about 5 seconds). She then said that if I was caught doing it again they would 'make' me clean the entire kitchen myself. Really??? These staff were backpackers, not permanent hostel staff.

When I went to check out, I took my linen down but left the pillow (or was it a blanket?) in my room, forgetting that they ask for all items to be returned. When the check out guy asked me where this item was I said it was still in the room. I was of course happy to go and get it, but there was no please or thank you, all he said was 'I need it'. Again - this was a foreign backpacker working at the hostel.

I found this time and time again in certain places in Australia (although with many exceptions) - a complete lack of basic manners from certain hostel staff. I can't recall this coming from Australian staff, it tended to be backpackers. Just really disappointing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Oldfirestation, Manager at Old Fire Station Backpackers Fremantle, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Ausbackpacker2014,
we are really sorry you didn't enjoy 100% your stay at the Old Fire Station. We try our best to give a full unforgettable experience to all our guest, you see we try to do an event event every night: pizza night, movie night, quizzes, tournament, parties etc.
In particular i am really sorry you had some issues with our staff. They are our best asset and pride, and it make me really sad that unfortunately you didn't have the chance to see this side of our backpackers.
I wish you well and i hope you'll be back in this magic place called Fremantle!
Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I loved everything about this place.

Go see for yourself - Fremantle is an amazing place and this backpackers is right in the heart of Freo.

Great parties and the best atmosphere you can get!!

Huge kitchen, lots of clean bathrooms and a giant 3x4m walk in fridge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I had one of the best times in the Old Fire Station. The staff is excellent, always very helpful and good-humored and they will do everything that's in their power so you feel at home. They have many things planned every day of the week and really pour their heart into their work. If you are looking for a hostel that guarantees you lots of fun, friends and adventures, the Old Fire Station is the place to be.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Galway, Galway, Ireland
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Good points:
-Tons and tons of facilities like free WIFI, computer access, kitchen is huge, free pool table, ping pong, cinema, DVDs, etc, etc. I probably haven't even scratched the surface here, this place has it all!
-Bacpacker/party atmosphere. --If that's what you look for in a hostel-- then this is probably one of the best hostels you'll find!
-There is loads of space everywhere, including the rooms.
-Fremantle! A lovely little spot with plenty to do, some great cafes/bars and a relaxed indie/artsy vibe.

Bad points:
-No BYOB. you can only drink beer bought at reception. I just find that annoying for a hostel.
-Run down and dirty - Sure, it needs a paintjob here and there, what hostel doesnt, but if the place was actually cleaned properly it would be a start.
-Noisy. It's party central. (Solution is to go to bed drunk at 4am but that get's old fast)
-No aircon. Not a real problem since the rooms are surprisingly airy and cool at night with the windows open, but this lets in the noise!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo