“Just don't”

Backpackers Inn Freo
Backpackers Inn Freo
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our experience was terrible. Reception was OK, but when we entered our room ... Shock! It was dirty (like dirty socks and trash everywhere) and had a really bad smell. We just left our backpacks there. I complained on reception about state of our room and they said that they will check it (but they did nothing). In evening when we arrived back we tried to cook something but kitchen was a big mess.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have lived in this hostel for 3 months, I hold is good hostel for you sweep him great, and for the accessible kitchens always, for the proximity to the station of the trains. The rooms are not badly it is they have an ability of maximum 8 people in comparison to others that overcome the 10 people.
As a rule it is clean I save the rudeness of some people. the computers are working and fast in comparison to mine bad experiences with slow connections and tall costs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Giovy100s
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed in a private room which was very clean and cleaners came everyday to take away rubbish! The bathrooms were clean and even witnessed them being cleaned by the cleaner.
Very basic place to stay but sleep quality was good.
Not a great atmosphere was pretty quiet!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2013

So this is how it is; You get there and very pretty backpackers are working the reception desk. So far so normal. The conversation about your booking and how to do it on their computer system all occurs in German including figuring out how you were to pay for your room (despite the fact I'd already paid). Then you get to your room and find there is no aircon (fair enough, it wasn't advertised as such) but you find your room for four people has a single 'one plug' powerpoint. Luckily someone - heck, perhaps even the hostel - has attached a four powerpoint powerboard into this. Which is great. Alas one runs a fan to try to cool the room and the other three have been appopriated by one Irish bloke to run all the electrical devices with which the modern backpacker can't do without. Oh, and as this hostel is obviously aimed at those wanting to party, it turns out that even though you arrived mid afternoon the room is still kept in darkness so your nocturnal room mates can sleep. So then you go to the facilities.... there is apparently a toilet in the main building but I never found it. Instead I discovered that the gents is situated so that as you avail yourself of the facilities several people are sitting right outside. Oh rapture. Then you wander over to the male showers only to find that there are only two for the whole hostel but hey, everyone is still sleeping off last nights binge so you can at least get one. Though remember to close the door behind you as the lattice work won't necessarily spare your dignity if you - gasp - get undressed/dressed outside of the wet shower well. Reception hours start at 8am on weekdays. So if like me you are outta there but fast on your departure date you'll have the joy of just tossing your keys in the general direction of the reception desk through the barred door that closes it off after hours. Of course doing so blows your $20 key deposit. I was beyond caring at that point. I could continue but you get the vibe by now...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul L
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed in the womens dorm which was cheap but relatively private as a 6 bed dorm goes. The place was cleaned daily but did have a bit of an old threadbare feel to it. I got clean sheets, no suspicious stains on the bed and had a laugh with the staff almost every day.
I stayed here for about 2 weeks and don't regret it at all.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We decided to get a cheap room (with ensuite bathroom) in Fremantle as we just needed a place to spend the night before a full planned day at Rottnest Island. As backpackers accomodation goes, there was a number of residents lounging around the shared community areas - great if you wish to share stories and plans.
The room itself was nothing to shout about. Our main issue would have to be the hot water (shower) running out at night. other than that. it wasn't as scary as some of the previous reviews make it out to be.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I arrived at the hostel to be told by the reception staff member that she was expecting a change of shift and asking me to come back in half an hour. I explained I wouldn't be able to and she asked when I would be able to come back; I asked to check in there and then and was refused. I wanted to make it to a movie that I had booked. I explained I could come back later that evening and she agreed that would be fine. Later the evening staff member was equally rude, if not more so. Every question I asked was met with a rolled eye and a sigh before an answer.

The room was small and very noisy, the bathrooms few and far away, the furniture in the common areas is threadbare and falling to bits, the whole place smelled bad and the beds are dirty. On the plus side when I complained about the noise the reception guy did ask the people outside listening to Pink Floyd to turn it down and they did. For the first time in 18 years of backpacking this place made me consider more generic, established hotels or B&Bs; am I getting old or was it really as bad as it seemed?

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo