“Great hotel. Very friendly staff.”

Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Fremantle
Reviewed August 29, 2014

Currently staying at this fab hotel. Second time in staying here. My partner been here since November. The staff have been very friendly towards us both and are making our stay here a very enjoyable one. A special thanks to a range of staff. Especially Paul Adams, Kylie, Meghan, Dasni, all the bar staff. And the rest of the staff who have been great. Also a very big thankyou to Sam. The room is very clean and the beds are very comfortable. Once again a fab hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Esplande_Fremantle_, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2014

It is fantastic to read that our staff have impressed you and looked after you and your partner. I will defiantly pass on your thanks and praise to the staff you’ve mentioned here. I hope that you continue to enjoy your time in Fremantle; thank you for taking the time to review us.

David Bornmann

Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed August 28, 2014

We chose this hotel because it belongs to the Rydges brand and so far our stays in this chain have been fantastic and we have their Priority Guest card. We needed a night's accommodation pre- cruise and so pre- purchased this option months in advance. At the time we thought it was very expensive compared to Rydges in New Zealand. So we had high expectations from the website photos and the cost that it would be a wow place to stay. It did not wow us!
The hotel was like a rabbit warren with very poor signage to assist you to your room and out of your room to the lobby. There was one small lift that barely took two people and suitcases. The corridors are long and bland-the carpet looked very tired and worn. Our room was functional and at least the bed was comfortable for a good nights sleep. The room had a balcony opening onto the central enclosed courtyard which meant it was quiet at night. A very standard hotel room that should be sold in the $150 a night rather than $250+ a night rate.
Reception on arrival was OK. Checkout was easy and it was great to be able to store our bags until it was time to board our cruise. The concierge ordered us a taxi very promptly.
A handy location to the downtown area and cruise port are this hotel's assets.

Room Tip: A room facing into the courtyard was very quiet on an otherwise noisy Saturday night in Fremantle.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post this review; we welcome all types of feedback from our guests. I’m glad to read that you are part of the Rydges Priority Guest Rewards program which meant that you would have taken advantage of great discounts on your room and in our restaurants and bar. We try to keep our costs in line with the Perth market to remain competitive therefore a comparison to New Zealand prices will be quite different. It is disappointing to read that you were unable to follow the signage around the Hotel; I will take this on board and review. The lift you mention is just one lift of four in the Hotel, this one in particular takes you to our Southern Cross wing and is on the list of our ongoing upgrade program although the size is not an issue for most guests. Great to hear that your checkout process was smooth and that our concierge was helpful for you.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

This is my second stay at Esplanade; the previous one a long while ago. It is still looking pretty good. I had stayed in several Rydges around the world but Esplanade was great. Location is excellent- within walking distance to many landmarks, historic buildings and restaurants. Room is neat, spacious and regularly maintained even if room décor is a little dated. Staff at front counter, concierge, laundry, room service, housekeeping were helpful and made guest stays homewarming. There is always the cheerful smile. Attended a 2-day conference in the same venue, the logistics was fantastic. Business centre services are available to all free-of-charge. A somewhat small pool is available for a quick swim if one wishes, though surrounded within by the hotel buildings and watched by diners if you don't mind. The room is well-stocked and replenished; it would be better if toothbrushes are provided (I travel real light). I was asked a few times by the housekeeper if I needed anything else; felt pampered. This is a top block hotel - I highly recommend for family or for business trips to the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

I’m glad to read that our Hotel and staff have impressed you and made you feel welcome during your business trip. I agree that the room décor was in need of an update and since your stay we have started a refurbishment program to modernise our accommodation rooms. I’m so happy to read that our staff share their cheerful and friendly personalities with you during your stay; we certainly have a great team. It’s a shame that you only found one of our pools as we have another larger resort pool just around the corner from the one you describe; perhaps when you stay next time you’ll give that a go. Also, next time please do not hesitate to ask the housekeeper for a toothbrush.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

We rented two bikes for a week to go cycling daily. These were delivered to the hotel. The assistant manager and concierge were very helpful taking the bikes, looking after them and getting them out for us whenever we wanted. Nothing was too much trouble. It made the stay so easy and enjoyable.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RosannePeter

What a fantastic idea to hire bikes, Fremantle is a great place to cycle around with everything you could want within an easy distance. Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback and I’m so glad to read that our team looked after your specific needs. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

I have stayed here a number of times but it has been some time since my last stay. I must say it is looking better than I remember it having had a good Renovation in the rooms. The halls still look interesting (coloured doors) but I was very impressed with my room.

The best part of this hotel is however it's location. It is so close to everything Fremantle has. Good places to eat or enjoy a drink.

Room Tip: Keep away from the road rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Martin H

Thank you for taking the time to post this feedback and I’m so glad to read that as a regular you are enjoying the refurbishments that we have completed so far. The coloured doors in the corridors are a way to connect to the floating artwork in the atrium area of the Hotel lobby and bring some of the bright, fun, Fremantle festival atmosphere throughout the Hotel. Glad you enjoy the great location and I hope to be able to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

I always wanted to stay in Fremantle. I booked this hotel through Wotif after reading the reviews. And I have to say that this hotel deserves all those high marks. The facilities are very good. The room was well stocked, tea/coffee/milk available and replenished daily.
Great location. Close to everything. Lots of restaurants and boutique shops. Valet parking is expensive, but convenient. There is a possibility to park on the street for the fraction of the price.
Swimming pool, spa and sauna are great additions to the hotel facilities. Gym is a little bit outdated, but basic machines are available.
I would like to express my gratitude to the staff of the hotel and particularly the housekeeper, who was very helpful and highly professional in dealing with my unusual request. I forgot my private phone in the room safe almost three weeks ago. I contacted hotel last week and they managed to locate my phone (still in the safe) and post it to me. I received it yesterday.
Thank you so much for doing that. This is what I call great customer service.

Room Tip: The corridors are very long. Ask for a room close to reception. Noise was not a problem.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Moorusha S

I’m so glad to read that we were able to locate your phone and return it to you safely. I certainly agree that we have a great team who are willing to help our guests wherever possible. Thank you so much for your great feedback and it’s great to know that our guests are enjoying all the facilities the Hotel provides but also getting out and about in this great city to experience the shopping and attractions. I agree with your sentiments regarding the gym and this is something that we are currently reviewing; I can assure you that it is on our upgrade plan. I hope that we will see you in Fremantle again soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

Since joining Rydges group we have stayed here more often to enjoy member benefits. Centrally located to everything we wish to do south of the river. Excellent buffet breakfasts and dinners. Great bar. Member discounts apply to rooms, meals and drinks. Love it.
A little pricy, but isn't everything in Perth/Fremantle? No complaints on amenities provided, especially WiFi and Valet parking.

Room Tip: We've stayed in many rooms. I like best the ones with balcony to outside world - but not on gro...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JennyWren6398

It’s great to read that you've joined Rydges Priority Guest Rewards and are taking advantage of the great benefits. Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel in particular I’m glad you’re enjoying the Atrium Garden Restaurant buffet and the Marine Lounge Bar. As you've mentioned we try to keep our costs in line with the market to remain competitive and offer free WI-FI to everyone and the extra discounts for our Priority Guest Rewards members to provide extra value to our guests.