“Poor value for money!”

Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Fremantle
“Poor value for money!”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for our wedding night and requested (to pay) for some champagne and rose petals to be in our room when we arrived, the staff flat out refused to help.

Had to wait 35mins to get our car out of valet in the morning.

Nothing special about this hotel at all.

Location is the only good thing about this place. Would not stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Noted that the team didn't help with your request for the rose petals and champagne, will follow this up with the porters to work out why this was the case. I understand the rose petal thing is an issue with cleaning and stains on the linen so may have been one point, but the champagne is pretty standard so unsure why they would have refused this request. Was disappointing to read this item will prevent you from staying with us again and that you felt you had poor value for money with us.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Stayed 3 nights to have memorable experiences with my girlfriend. I was recommended to stay at the Esplanade and it was a fantastic experience as expected. I was very pleased and impressed by the front desk staff’s customer services, because they were very helpful and friendly. Especially the manager Travis, he was very professional, helpful and efficient. He has very positive attitude towards the customer and answering the phone in a nice manner (my girlfriend made calls from the room to request something and he was very considerate even though my girlfriend’s English wasn't great). The room was kept clean at all times and had a huge balcony. The breakfast buffet was also really enjoyable. We felt very welcomed and well looked after during the stay in the hotel and we would like to come back again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Very nice of you to comment on Travis and the service you received during your stay, it is a pleasant gesture to read of someones positive experience from the front desk team and their efforts to look after guests in the hotel. I hope we see you back with us again.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights in February. We were very happy with the service and had no complaints about the room. We were in a room on the 4th floor overlooking the pool and were not troubled by noise even though the hotel was full. The rooms are very spacious even when equipped with a super king sized bed. The bathroom was very clean and replenished daily but take care what you discuss when you are in there as the next door occupants can hear every word you say via the extraction duct. Hotel fridges and irons normally leave a lot to be desired but not here, iron and ironing board were in first class condition and worked very well. I had a problem with the internet which was sorted out by the front desk staff who gave me a 24 hour connection as a good will gesture.
My only disappointment with this hotel is the price charged for meals in the restaurant.
$29 per person for breakfast is really over the top. We had a full breakfast in a coffee shop behind the hotel for under $30 in total and many of the hotel guests were also using the same cafe's. Their staff were eager to point out that their food was equally as good and less than half the price of the hotel food. The evening meals are equally expensive and I was not surprised to see many of the guests eating at restaurants around the city. It would be a sensible suggestion to cut the meal prices to encourage guests to stay in and eat at the hotel. I am sure the additional revenue from the bar would compensate for the price reduction.
I would definitely return to the hotel for it's location and service and maybe eat there if the prices are amended.

Room Tip: 4th floor overlooking the pool if you want an undisturbed sleep.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Appreciate the review of your recent stay at the hotel, we certainly take on board guest comments about the breakfast buffet price. I would say for $29 you are getting far more variety and offering than the cafes nearby who provide a hot plated meal and coffee for less but you also get cereal, fruit, yoghurt, smoothies, toast, pastries, pancakes, eggs or omelets cooked to order and as many sides as you want within the buffet price. I am sure if you were to have a continental and hotel plated meal at a cafe around the hotel it would get pricey...will certainly look at this and we do offer specials with our packages as well which shows good value..

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2014

After hearing such hype about this hotel I was disappointed in the standard of the hotel. It is in a great location for exploring Fremantle but a very basic offering in terms of rooms and the staff. It is very outdated and needs some TLC. I got the room with a free voucher after booking some flights through flight centre otherwise I would not have paid £130 for a night at this hotel. It was a 2-3 star standard and would be somewhere that I would stay again if it was under £50 per night and I needed to be this central.

1 Thank Harri8Lucy
So nice of you to take the opportunity to stay with us in Fremantle with your free voucher offer..Hope you find more suitable accommodation if you are traveling back to Western Australia...

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Fremantle is my favourite place in PER & I try to stay at the Esplanade as the location is central & close to everything that Freo has to offer. I got a great deal from Agoda for $189 & this is the 3rd time I have stayed here.

Service is also friendly & most importantly - efficient. I have stayed at many hotels & so many you are waiting for up to 15-20 just be served.

Valet service is reasonably priced at $29 & saves you trying to find a park & paying the astronomical prices in the car parks.

This time I was given room 215 which was above reception & accessed by the lift directly in the foyer, the room was fabulous. Large with a balcony looking over the street (although wasnt nosiy at all & I stayed there on a Sat night) I found it funny that the other two times I have stayed I paid over $215 & stayed in rooms at the back that were quite a distance from the lobby & yet I paid such a bargain price & got a better room (?) maybe I was extra nice to the staff :) The balcony is sectioned off however it is not private so you can see people if they choose to sit on it as well. Didnt bother me as I didnt really use it.

I didnt have breakfast this time around however I made use of a lovely bottle of white in the mini bar.

I think the Esplanade is very reasonably priced & a fantastic stay when in Freo.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank FoodieForLife81
How nice you have become a regular with us and taken advantage of the great deals we have from time to time. I am sure the team put you up front due to your status and showed a bit of initiative which always goes down well! Hope we see you back with us again...

Kind regards

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

After arriving from a cruise we stayed for a couple of nights before our journey home bound. Very friendly hotel and very helpful. Staff helped us with maps and the best places to eat. And the best places to visit.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alison S
So good to see the passengers from one of the many Cruise ships Fremantle enjoys stay and have great experience in our warm and friendly city...glad you enjoyed your stay and the team provided good advice on things to do and places to see..

Saumur
Reviewed March 23, 2014

A great central location for exploring the City with the tram stop right outside.
Our welcome was polite and courteous, as were all the staff we encountered during our stay. Plenty of friendly smiling faces.
Our very clean and comfortable room overlooked the inner courtyard, a good thing from the point of traffic noise in a hotel with antiquated glazing and fronting a main road.
We were surprised to find that the only parking available was Valet style at just under $30 aud a night but at least this was better than struggling with the pay as you go complexities of Fremantle's public parking. In a hotel of this standard we would expect to find complimentary bottled water in the room but here it was a 'plus' item. The sound proofing between the room and the corridor also left a bit to be desired - we did not hear a peep out of our neighbours but could hear verbatim the conversations of guests passing by.
The buffet Atrium restaurant does excellent food, recommended.
We would have rated this a 3.5 star hotel but the friendliness of the staff kicked it back to 4!

Room Tip: Inner courtyard facing rooms are quieter.
1 Thank BQ1
Pleased to see you generally enjoyed the hotel experience and the service was to your liking. Sorry to see the noise outside the room carried through, the doors are not new and may need work down the track to improve this issue. The buffet is great and does provide plenty of variety for the guests who like to graze...

David Bornmann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fremantle
Pier 21 Apartment Hotel
East Perth
Fraser Suites Perth
Fraser Suites Perth
#11 of 65 in Perth

Been to Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges? Share your experiences!