“no value for money”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Fremantle
Hong Kong
“no value for money”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

i reached around midnight for check in and had to wait for about 20 mins before checking and i was the only person doing the check in.
staff is okey but not good enough.
And this is the best in fremantle. rooms are average little choice of food, below average breakfast.
checked out in one night

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Was not good to see you had to wait when arriving after midnight at the hotel. I can only imagine with the team we have on at that time must have been distracted, will raise this with the night team to ensure that they understand guests arriving after hours is a priority.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2014

If you hate being ripped off as I do, avoid this hotel at all costs, as it most certainly will cost you!!

I have never encountered such blatant corporate fleecing of its kind. Within 10 minutes of arriving, I was at the front desk wanting to leave! A few examples of why:
Upon arrival the staff were totally disinterested and only sought to get my credit card swiped as quickly as they could. A warm welcome seemed alien to them.

The rooms: I booked a 'King Spa Suite'. What a joke. By any international standards, this was no more than a standard room with a double bed. Having a bath with a water jet does not justify 'Spa' status, neither does a chair and a table squeezed into a corner justify a 'Suite' status. Do not believe the photos on the website, they are carefully shot and verge on deliberate misrepresentation. The rooms are tired and in desperate need of updating and certainly do not deserve the charging that is applied to them.

Internet and WiFi: A charge of $18 per day (discounted to $9 per day if you are a member), is applied for internet use in your room. Rip off!! Despite the fact that you can walk into Burger King or any of the bars or cafes nearby and get free unlimited internet, the hotel deems it fit to apply this ridiculous charge for the privilege of having internet in your room.

Breakfast: The rate for my 'King Spa Suite' did not include breakfast. Arriving at the breakfast hall I enquired how much it would cost for 2 slices of toast, one with a spoon of scrambled eggs on it, the other with a spoon of baked beans. The cost, $31!!! Complaining on two separate occasions that this was disgraceful, I was told that no reduction or arrangement cold be made as the eggs and beans components classified as the hot buffet charge! I therefore had to take breakfast outside of the hotel to obtain a non rip off rate.

Parking: $29 per day - Rip off!! I was told that management had decided this was a non-negotiable rate and if I didn't like it, I would have to start feeding the meter in the public car park opposite from 8am onwards.

Room Credit limit: On the 3rd or 4th day, I received a receipt under my door stating that I had exceeded my 'Room Credit Limit' What credit limit? No where is this mentioned in the hotel or literature. Despite the fact that swiping my credit card on arrival is for validation purposes only, they had deducted my credit card for over $1,000 and shoved the receipt under my door with no approval from myself or opportunity to scrutinise the charges - utterly disgraceful!! Only a shouting match at reception forced them to re-credit my card and accept that check-out was the proper and only time that I would agree to having any charges applied to my card.

Credit Card Surcharge Fee: 4% on top of your bill - Seriously?? Rip off!!!

Room Service: Atrocious. I had a polystyrene sandwich box left in the room for 4 days, 3 takeaway coffee cups left for 3 days and a juice carton left for 2 days. Towels were left unfolded and toiletries not replaced. They did make the bed though!

I could go on but I think the point is made of how this hotel conducts itself. It has long forgotten that guests like to be seen and treated as a guest and not as a credit card to be fleeced!

I genuinely feel sorry for the staff at reception. It is a faceless management that impose these disgraceful clandestine charges, but these poor people are the ones who take the bullets - and I witnessed many dissatisfied guests. They admit their embarrassment to implement such charges, and my god it shows! Only a further confrontation at reception enabled me to have some of these charges waived but the policy of the hotel is clear and they will apply them ruthlessly to the unsuspecting. What this hotel needs is a serious shake up and some serious competition to hit the message home - they would not survive elsewhere!

Be warned.

Room Tip: Book a room that doesn't face the noisy multi-storey car park.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank Sebastian M
Certainly a poor experience from your extensive detailed review. I totally agree with your sentiments that first impressions are so important and are emphasised with the training of the front desk staff to extend a warm welcome to our guests. The internet fee currently is 20MB free then the charges will apply, however this is being reviewed and will be free by the end of March. Breakfast buffet is not itemised, so I imagine if making requests for specifics the staff member would have quoted you a full buffet price which is currently $29, a point worth taking that we should have continental and other hot items as a separate pricing for guests not wanting the full buffet meal. There are also options when booking to have bed and breakfast packages which are good value The King Spa Suite is descriptive of the bed size and the fact it has a spa bath, the photos on our website match the actual room types decribed. Checking history I can see you stayed in an Executive King Room not a King Spa suites, the photos on the website and description, rates etc are not the same. There are ceilings of credit card amounts that the hotel maintains, this should have been advised to you when reached prior to paying off the account as per the hotel credit policy. The valet parking the hotel provides is $29 per day, the alternatives are available unsecure parking across the road as you have noted is metered so has the inconvenience of needing to have the tickets renewed, or Collie St parking around the corner which can prove more expensive for 24hr use and also has the inconvenience of closing at 11pm most nights so you can't access the vehicle. This fee is note on the website and explained when parking the car. The credit card transaction fee is also published on the website and advised when paying by credit card, it is 1.85 for bank cards or 3.5 for Amex. Housekeeping procedures would be to clear rubbish from the room if left in the bin or is obviously rubbish, I will address this with the manager as to why this may not have occurred as you have stated. The management have the guests as the main priority in everything they do in the hotel, we certainly are not trying to rip guests off as you have noted, the charges are transparent and are there if used not buried in the rates if guests do not wish to use them. We are also not 'faceless', the managers all spend time at front desk or in the lobby to ensure guests have a manager presence and anytime a guest wishes to speak to management for any reason we are always available. I certainly wouldn't have a guest service agent take any issues upon themselves if the manager is present to handle the situation. The hotel team take great pride in what has been achieved in the past twelve months since takeover, we certainly do not take any feedback lightly and will certainly be discussing your comments in great detail.

Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Mediocre breakfast buffet. Very poor customer service - our room key failed on each of our days at the hotel. Our room - supposedly overlooking the pool and tropical garden - was about half a mile (slight exaggeration?) around the hotel, blocked in by trees and overlooking a rough car park. As two elderly but capable travellers we don't expect special service, but a little consideration for the very long walk to our room would have been appreciated. No pool bar service at the pool - OK not the very busiest time of the year, but we would have expected the service to be maintained at a 4.5 - 5* hotel. We've stayed at Hiltons, Hyatts, Four Seasons, Sheratons, Marriotts, etc. in Aus and all round the world and Rydges is simply not on a par with the best, yet in their prices they try to mimic the best. Very poor value Rydges. You need to get your act together. I'm just glad that on our forthcoming trip to Brisbane that we've booked into the Marriott and not into Rydges Southbank!!! The only star among the staff was the lady who appeared to be running the valet parking - she was polite, very friendly, and extremely helpful. Well done to her!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Was disappointing to read you have stayed in all these amazing five star brands and around the world and that our hotel does not compare. It certainly highlights the need for constant review of our service and the hotel generally to ensure our standards are much better than what you have portrayed., It by no means is a reflection on the Rydges Southbank Hotel which is a very nice property. I apologise that you did not have a good impression of the brand and will do our best to improve this as we progress with this property..

Safety Bay, Australia
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Having normally stayed in Perth, this was a very pleasant surprise. Room was entirely acceptable, the food was excellent value, but most importantly, to me, the staff were superb. Cannot thank them enough. And the location couldn't be better either. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Was refreshing to read you enjoyed your stay and the hotel was a comfortable experience for you. That the team extended a good level of service and you were able to have a positive impression when leaving.

BournemouthUK
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

After reading all the negative reviews prior to our 3 night visit and arriving with much trepidation , we were pleasantly surprised and very relieved.

All the receptionists and concierge staff were very pleasant and helpful and allocated us a quiet room as requested . We arrived very early with other Cunard travellers and rooms were ready by 10.30am

The room was adequate but dated with a faulty toilet flush . The cleaning lady was excellent but the mini bar lady was frosty and stressed and was reluctant to give us extra milk for our tea and coffee facilities!

After two peaceful nights we had some very noisy neighbours arrive next door on Friday and from other observations we realised that this was a weekend party hotel and best avoided on these days

We enjoyed the warm water pool but the loungers were hard and without cushions

The hotel is excellently located for the shops, restaurants and the beach

We did not eat at the hotel but used all the local cafés and restaurants that were recommended . We had excellent take away fish and chips from ' Sweet Lips' on the waterfront where we enjoyed watching the beautiful sunset on the sea

This hotel is not a 4/5 star , I would give it a 3+ rating and I would recommend it but not at weekends if you are not partying and want a quiet stay

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your descriptive review of the hotel and the opinions on the current star rating. The hotel is 4.5 stars as per the most recent AAA assessment. Of course the hotel will continue to improve the product as we progress. The new owners have already invested millions into the upgrade of the property since takeover a year ago and continue to support the upgrade on a priority basis; we certainly appreciate getting these areas of feedback to assist in our focus as we move forward.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 14, 2014

My husband proposed to me during a stay at this hotel 7 years ago and we have been back a number of times as it holds a special place in my heart.
This trip, a romantic Valentines Day weekend, will be our last.
Poor service, tired rooms and dodgy menus. In addition the $200 we spent to hire a dvd player that we had to waste 30 minutes setting up ourselves because they have no movies on demand and the repetitive thudding beat of our neighbours music all served to make me want to be anywhere.
Next time we will be going to the Hyatt in Perth.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I apologise that you had a poor experience for Valentines weekend, we should be setting up the DVD player if requested for guests, it sounds like some service training and procedures is required for the front desk. The hotel hasn't had a movie on demand system for nearly a year now, the demand was very low due to guests now using ipads etc to watch movies that you can plug into the side of the new Sony LCDs in the rooms. A lot of chains are also moving away from the old pay to view systems due to this change in technology.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have traveled the world on various business trips and this was my first visit to Western Australia, first impression of the hotel are good, however the rooms are in definite need of some TLC. I had a couple of issues during my stay and always seemed to deal with the same couple of people, the service received from Paul Adams the duty manager was simply world class, nothing was ever to much of a problem and he always had a smile on his face, simply a pleasure to deal with an asset to the staff at the Esplanade Hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of the hotel and the feedback on Paul, glad the service received was exceptional to be worthy of a mention and that your stay generally was comfortable. Will certainly be reviewing the rooms moving forward in our program for the hotel.

Kind regards

David Bornmann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fremantle
Be. Fremantle
East Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
#12 of 64 in Perth

Been to Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges? Share your experiences!