“Much improved”

Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Fremantle
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Just.returned from a lovely weekend at the Esplanade. We gave it a second chance after a fairly ordinary visit when Rydges had just taken over - see earlier review. This time round had a great pool view room, the place looked spruced up and cheery, helpful staff were on hand at every turn. The only small grumble was the underused pool cabana, a real feature, but no service available when we were there. Would be lovely to have had a coffee or cocktail after a swim. Have to hand it to Rydges - things are much improved and we will return.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor pool view room with a large verandah and nice view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Currambiner
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Really pleased to read the experience has improved at the hotel since your previous stay. There has been a lot of physical work to the product in that time and have also been working to get the standards of service and the team in a better cultural position. These things are going to take time, however generally we have witnessed an improvement in all areas since taking over in January. I hope we can continue to improve guest experience by your next visit.

David Bornmann

Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Unexpectedly staying for 4 nights at the Esplanade I was well taken care of until the 3rd day when a corridor painting project began right outside my room. It would have been appreciated if the management had seen fit to alert guests to this toxic inconvenience (which I suppose, for business reasons, is a necessity to achieve while the hotel remains open). After reluctantly tolerating the fumes for the first night I was awoken today with painful sinuses and a headache, AND by the painter outside my door applying the 2nd coat. Thankfully I am beholden to The Angel Dasni at the front desk who made my day, upgrading me to the heavenly 4th floor! I can even dive into the pool from here! But I'm back to work with a clear head and the sun in my vista.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Was disappointed to read of your experience with the maintenance of the hotel and lack of communication from the team to ensure you were aware of the program in place. Will definitely ensure moving forward this occurs, the boys have been working externally since this period but will most likely continue indoors in the coming months. Thank you again for your note on Dasni, she is a very good receptionist and has a natural smile and pleasant demeanor with the guests that is ideal for hospitality.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

stayed at the hotel the weekend before football grandfinal and my husband work they booked us there.We drove down from Geraldton , and arrived at the hotel for valet parking.The conceirge were great she gave a big smile and welcomed us. We headed into reception and got our room.Not happy with our room we went back down to reception and spoke to a duty manager to see if here could upgrade us to a better room,and he did.His name was Travis ,and what a nice young man he is .We spoke to him many occasion on resturants and things to do and small chit chat,I know that this is his job and Im probably not explaining myself that well,but he went above and beyond his duty.He made such as positive experienceon us.All your staff needs a big pat on the back from the cleaners to valet to bar and kitchen.We enjoyed our stay so much,and have told many people about staying at the hotel.You should be very proud of the people that you have working for you and we cant wait to come and stay again.Please thank your staff and please let Travis know was a fine young duty manager he is, David you better watch your job,( haha )having a great duty manager like that he will go far.Jokes a side,thanks again for a great stay and we see you soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tania p

What a lovely message on our Manager on Duty Travis, thank you for taking the time to acknowledge his efforts, he is a very sincere hospitality operator who does genuinely care for the guests that he has dealings with. Great to see this had an impact and can only hope this culture gets instilled in the rest of the team in front office as they settle in.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Esplanade enjoys a lovely location in Fremantle. Our room was quite comfortable but we were disappointed that we had not view only an internal outlook to a small pool. The service we received from the concierge staff was fantastic and we can highly recommend them

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Great you enjoyed your stay in Fremantle, sorry the view was internal to the pool, the rooms overlooking the park are very popular and also slightly more expensive as you may note from the various website listings. I hope we can welcome you back to Freo in the future.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I originally booked in a Deluxe Spa room for 2 nights to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, as we planned to go to the Fremantle Prison Halloween Torchlight Tour. When we arrived, we were able to get valet parking and have our luggage taken up to the room for us (having never stayed in anything above a 3 star hotel, this was a lovely touch). Then we checked in, and we were informed that they were upgrading us to an Executive Junior Suite, and sending up a free bottle of sparkling wine! On top of that, we had booked with a special package that gave us $60 a day to use at any of the hotels bars, or at the Atrium.

The first night we stayed we had room service after coming back from the prison. The food was amazing and reasonably priced for what it was. There is a $4 tray charge each time you order, but I hear that is standard so not a big deal for us. We even drank a bottle of wine out of the mini bar, as I felt it was also reasonably priced - and quite a lovely drop I must say! My only complaint was that when we put the tray outside our door after we had finished eating (I think this was around 9:30pm), the tray was still there in the morning.

The bed was a 4 poster bed, and AMAZINGLY comfortable. The bathroom was lovely and clean (loved the jacuzzi spa!). Again, one small complaint - the shower leaked a little at the bottom. Not sure what can be done about it, but just mentioning it. Our light in the bathroom also blew during our stay, but we informed the reception desk on our way out to dinner, and it was fixed by the time we came back.

Breakfast on our last day there was at the Atrium, and the food was lovely! It was busy (being a saturday), but I have no objections about that. We just wanted a nice bite to eat before we checked out.

Checking out was also a nice experience, as it was the same lady who also checked us in, and wished us a congratulations on our anniversary.

Overall, I highly recommend The Esplanade. I understand it can be a little pricey, but some planning ahead and grabbing one of their deals (as we did, I believe it was the "breakaway" package) can help. We will certainly be returning here frequently in the futre.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Was very pleased to read of your experience at the hotel, congratulations on your anniversary! I am glad the team recognised the special occasion and suitably looked after you to make your stay more enjoyable. I hope we see you back again for other events or just a weekend away.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Esplanade is beautifully situated on the park with direct views to the marina and Fremantle harbour. The park has good playground facilities for the children, a cafe and plenty of free space to kick a ball and get rid of pent-up travelling frustrations for little ones. Across the park is a fabulous range of eateries offering fresh local seafood, italian meals, and Little Creatures brewery and bistro. All very family, couple or singles-friendly.
Within five minutes walk are the train station to Perth city (about one half hour travel through the suburbs of Perth) and the 'sheds' at which one can board cruises and the ferry to Rottnest Island.
Food at the Esplanade is very good, served in an atrium dining lounge. Rydges is gradually moving from the closed-in hotel feeling into a light and open relaxed atmosphere. The rooms are gradually being upgraded and our room with a balcony was superb. Reception could be staffed better as we waited several times for quite lengthy periods (up to 20 minutes at one point) to leave a simple message. The concierge was excellent and never bothered by our requests.

Room Tip: Steer clear of rooms at the back of the hotel. Rooms overlooking the park or the pool are lovely.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Was pleasing to read of your positive experience in Fremantle, it is a great place to relax and enjoy the historic ambiance of a seaside town. The hotel is generally getting into a better place after significant work through this year after the change in ownership and management. The staffing levels in the front desk area will need to be reviewed, there have been a few changes in this area recently.

Regards

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The hotel itself, while clean and comfortable, is not really my bag. It's very modern and lacks the charm and character of older buildings. As an example, the corridors are so bland and neutral that they remind me of a young offenders institution instead of a hotel. I do not intend this to be a criticism of the facility; it is not. The nouveau look will appeal to some but not to me.

I stayed here for two nights each on consecutive weeks. During my first stay, I was upgraded to a spa suite. The room was very spacious well laid out, comfy bed and, apart from a broken bottle in the fridge, spotlessly clean.

However, the second time I stayed I was given a room on the fourth floor over looking the park. I had to leave the room straight away as the air con wasn't working. I got a similar room on the second floor but the corridor was on a mezzanine deck over looking the bar and restaurant area, kind of like an atrium view. The room, although clean and spacious, also had defective air con. i didn't really notice on the first night as I checked in at two in the morning. When I turned the system on, I assumed (wrongly) that the noise from the vents meant the onset of cool air.

Be aware of the high speed wireless in the rooms. It connects ok but it is anything but high speed.

I was also disappointed to learn that some of the reception staff did not recognise my loyalty card for the Global Hotel Alliance, of which this hotel is a member.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel. The choice of food is quite exceptional and excellent omelettes are made to order.

However, on the tables the cutlery is presented in a wooden box so patrons can help themselves to what they want as and when they need it. During my first stay, I saw a waitress accidentally knock a cutlery box off the table and onto the floor, subsequently spilling the contents. She placed the cutlery back in the box and then on to the table, which is absolutely unforgivable.

Concierge staff are very good and will do their utmost to help as will one of the managers I interacted with.

I would stay here again but I would pay closer attention to my air con before settling down to sleep. If I hadn't observed the cutlery getting knocked to the floor and put back on the table, I'd have given the place four stars.

Room Tip: If you're an early to bed and early riser or need to work in your room, you might want want to a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Thank you for your insightful and candid review of the hotel, the corridors are a work in progress and it is not often I have had them or the hotel described as modern, but subjective opinions on the decor are welcome as we progress with our improvements and upgrade of the hotel since taking it over. I think the new entry, bar and restaurant have been tastefully renovated, incorporating the rich flavour of Fremantle's history with the historic photos on windows, down the corridors and also naming the new restaurant the Harbour Master after the original owner of the building back in the 1830's, I am not an interior designer but Nouveau probably doesn't best describe what it is we are trying to achieve... The AC is centralised with independent controls in the room, I can only imagine there must have been a more serious problem with the main chiller when you stayed that caused this issue, I am sure this has since been rectified. The WiFI system installed this year is state of the art and the speed depending in what it is users are downloading is generally very quick and is capable of handling 100's of users all actively using it in our conference room as well as the accommodation etc. We also upgraded the pipeline into the hotel by 100% when we did the upgrade to ensure a fast WiFi system for our guests so it is very concerning you had this type of speed issue.

Thank you again for your time to comment.

Regards