“Bad start that got better”

Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Fremantle
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed as part of a large group and after a very long drive arrived, and were checked-in promptly. Arrived with my friend to the room to find it was incorrect (had reserved twin bedding and given a queen). Returned to reception along with a few other people from our group who had suffered the same problem. Some charm and convincing later, the Duty Manager upgraded us to a suite which had twin bedding. The room was sufficient with a large bathroom and a lounge area. It was at the back of the hotel and had no view to speak of. It was clean and well presented however.
Service was adequate and the hotel seemed to be struggling with the high occupancy.
Hotel is in a good location for Fremantle, and all the Freo attractions can be reached by foot.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

I am glad that after the initial issues you encountered with your reservation that the rest of your stay was incident free. I am also pleased you enjoyed Fremantle and the local culture. It is a great place to say for work or pleasure.

David Bornmann

Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Accommodation in Perth (and Fremantle) is fairly expensive these days but it seems that you can regularly stay at the Esplanade for around 1/2 the standard price via booking sites such as wotif.com.au. I stayed at the Esplanade for one night on business so I wasn't personally paying the bill. I found all the staff I interacted with very friendly and helpful. The service standard seems to have improved since Rydges took over the management of the Esplanade. The hotel is no more than 10 minutes walk from the train station and 5 minutes to the fishing boat harbour and the historic west end of Fremantle. The hotel has valet parking ($29) or there are other parking options nearby if you come by car. The is a good choice of restaurants and bars nearby.

As it turned out I was in a deluxe spa room on the 4th floor. The room was spacious with a king size 4-poster bed which was really comfortable. The room had a balcony overlooking the enclosed atrium pool. The bathroom was also spacious with a 2-person spa bath, a separate glass enclosed shower and a cabinet with two basins. Free wi-fi is available (which is still fairly unusual in Australia). The buffet breakfast had plenty of choice.

If you can get a room at a discounted price the Esplanade is a good choice. However, I'd be hesitant to stay here if I had to pay full price.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Esplanade (park) look toward the ocean and fishing boat harbour which is a nic...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Appreciate the thoughtful review and commentary on the hotel and opinons on location and presentation of the facility. The hotel is constantly being reviewed for improvements and I believe is good value for money for most travellers, yes there are specials available from time to time, our own website is the best to use for the best deals. I hope we will continue to please travellers with what we offer and the service improvements we are introducing.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed here for 14 nights whilst exploring Freemantle and Perth, it was my splash of luxury because the price per night was not for the feint hearted !!!
First impressions were very good, the building itself is great, attractive architecture and the location although set back from the coast is very central to both the town, marina and beach.
On entering the hotel the lobby area is also impressive, huge and open plan with a real buzz about it....so far so good. The only thing I would say is that this area is open to the public and can be a little chaotic.
Checked in which was fairly painless although given the length of our stay I was asked to pay an amount up front which isn't out of the ordinary. Staff were fairly courteous, nothing memorable. This is when it all started to go downhill...the room I had booked was a Pool View room on recommendation and it definitely had a view of the pool....as well as the multi story opposite. This is no tropical sunrise balcony experience. The rooms themselves are small and fairly basic, they reminded me of a holiday inn, bathrooms are functional at best, bed covers/carpets/decoration plain and dreary. If I had been paying $50 a night I would have probably been OK with what I had before me but definitely not at the price we were paying.
Corridors, communal areas are all clean but again very drab. The pool area feels cramped and because it is surrounded on all sides by buildings and on one side by a multi storey it gets a little hot and sticky. They have made the best of it with a few trees etc but generally it is again nothing special, nothing you want to snap a picture of and show your friends. Service around the pool was sketchy, almost non existent.
Overall it was disappointing all round. The location is great, the exterior of the hotel and lobby are attractive but everything else is motel standard. I wouldn't say my stay was ruined but certainly it wasn't enhanced by staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: I would be careful even upgrading to an exterior balcony room because these overlook a busy road. I...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Was pleasing to see you enjoyed the location and the arrival at the hotel, we have made a lot of improvements since takign over in January, including the renovation of the resort pool area you have descibed as drab. We obvioulsy can't change the car park opposite the hotel, however the landscaping and the general feel whilst down atthe pool has had very kind comments from our guests and it is a plesant area to enjoy, particularly being outside with the beautiful weather WA enjoys. Hopefully we can continue on and improve some of the other decor areas you have noted with rooms etc.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I recently spent 4 nights at the Esplanade as part of a conference group. On arrival I was given a room on the ground floor, at the end of a VERY long corridor. This room was isolated and right on the street (separated only by an unusable balcony). It was dark, gloomy and smelt as if something had recently died nearby. I had to close the curtains for any privacy and when I switched on the lights, they flickered on and then went off (and yes, I had put my key in the right slot - it was a loose connection). I sat in the gloom for 45 minutes waiting for the maintenance guy to show up, getting more and more despondent and feeling quite frankly, insecure (given the proximity to the street and the fact I was a lone woman)! The standard of the room was up to that of a motel and I was paying $240 for it (without breakfast or internet).
For the first time in my life I asked to change rooms. Unfortunately they were unable to change me that night but the next day I was swapped to an upper level room which was bright and cheerful and had a lovely view across the park. So much better.
Once the room issue was resolved it was an enjoyable enough stay and from my perspective as an attendee the hotel's attention to the conference was excellent. Lunch was eaten in the large dining area which gave us a sit down meal and plenty of choice from the buffet. Unfortunately the other social areas are currently under renovation leaving only one small bar area for social gatherings which got very busy and made it hard to meet up with colleagues.

Room Tip: Check the room before accepting and don't accept a room on the street side of the ground floor...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

I apologise that you encountered issues on your recent stay at the hotel and certainly agree that you should not have had such a wait to fix the items mentioned, sounds pretty horrible experience. We appreciate that the new room was more to your liking and the remainder of your stay was okay. The renovations are now complete so the new bar and restaurant have been reopened and look great and are very popular...I hope we see you back here again and we will review the rooms as described to ensure they are better presented.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Visited and stayed for a long while. Whole hotel was under construction and there was little concern for guests. Ended up with room on first floor - should have been more aggressive and asked for better location. Endured painting, new lobby, the crappiest internet service I have ever seen.

Bar was OK and service was pretty good, all in all.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Appreciate the candid review of your recent stay with the hotel. Was surprised with your comment onthe internet service as it was installed a number of months ago and provides free high speed internet throughout the entire hotel. Most guests have found this improvement very pleasing and generally hassle free to use and enjoy. The renovations are certainly not convenient for guests, however should be completed in the coming month, which will provide a far superior facility with our food and beverage and sense of arrival with the new front entrance.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Our son’s partner had organised a surprise 30th birthday party for him at the Esplanade last Saturday.

My wife and I thought we could treat ourselves to an overnight stay at the hotel after the party so we booked a “Deluxe Spa Room” with breakfast for $385-00.

We left feeling very disappointed and angry and feeling utterly ripped off for a host of reasons.

First, when we pulled up in the queue in the small driveway, the young guy doing the valet parking (which costs a trifling $29 overnight) would have reversed into our car had I not blasted our horn. Great start.

There were insufficient staff at the check-in counter – we waited too long for service.

The “Deluxe Spa Room” turned out to be a low-key motel-quality room worth no more than $150 a night. There were two crappy plastic chairs on the balcony which afforded a lovely view of rooftops.

The $45 a head smorgasbord (extra for drinks) was of a quality I would have been embarrassed to serve up at a home barbeque. The service was slow.

Then the next morning’s buffet breakfast at $20 a head was another presentation of minimalism. Feel like a cappo with that? Okay, that’ll be EXTRA. Thanks.

Went to pay the by now exorbitant bill – and they whack a 1.5% SURCHARGE for MasterCard (that’s right, not AMEX or Diner’s, but standard MasterCard). Hey guys, I KNOW you already factor the 0.6% or whatever FAR LESS THAN 1.5% your bank charges you into your rates. It’s just ANOTHER RIP OFF.

All in all, $508 dollars for a mediocre sleep in a mediocre room with mediocre food represents three times the value we received.

Pretty typical of Perth, unfortunately.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank John S

I was unimpressed with the level of issues you have noted in your recent stay at the hotel and have shared this with the hotel team. I can certainly appreciate your feelings of being left unsatsified from what you have detailed in your review you have shared. I apologise that you had such a poor experience, it is not the normal standards of our service and will be reviewing this with the managers to ensure we can improve on these areas noted.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel in approximately July and have decided to write this review due to the fantastic service I received from Stephanie who was working on the front desk. Stephanie was polite, cheerful and assisted me with my queries relating to valet parking, food and beverages in the Hotel and the accomodation. To receive such a service has made me feel I can recommend this Hotel to all of my friends and family.

Room Tip: See Stephanie for advice!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your impression and the recognition of Stephanie in our reception area, she is certainly a genuine and friendly person that makes it very easy for her to communicate with our guests. It does make a difference when the person you are talking to smiles naturally and seems happy to be there. I hope we see you back with us again.

Kind regards